Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B+Q Rip Off !

Options
  • 07-09-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I like the selection of stuff in B+Q, but watch the prices.
    Got those white metal ajustable shelf brackets
    11'' bracket €5.80 Atkins €2.60
    Upright €7.75 slightly longer one in Atkins €3.90.

Needless to say will be returning B+Q ones, as not put up yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

pms7 wrote: »
    I like the selection of stuff in B+Q, but watch the prices.
    Got those white metal ajustable shelf brackets
    11'' bracket €5.80 Atkins €2.60
    Upright €7.75 slightly longer one in Atkins €3.90.

Needless to say will be returning B+Q ones, as not put up yet.

At the risk to throwing my computer at the wall, are they the same brand?, dimensions?, metals?, will they withstand the same load placed on them?, were they on special offer in Atkins?, are they having a sale?, are there items in B&Q which are cheaper than in Atkins etc,etc,etc.

You have not been ripped off, you just didnt research the prices elsewhere before purchasing and before you ask, B&Q are under no obligation to refund your money just because you found something similsr cheaper somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I would have to agree with Davo. No obligation on B&Q to exchange based on the fact that you found a similar item at a lower price elsewhere.

Put it down to experience and improve your pre-purchase research next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

Yes, they are the same brand, dimensions and metal. There is only kind of white metal ajustable shelf bracket.
    No, not on sale or special offer in Atkins.

If being charged 123% more for the same item isn't a rip off, I don't know what is.

I can return them within 45 days of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

B&q do this with loads of everyday DIY stuff, thats why you rarely see pros there except if there is an offer on something or they cant get it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

Return to B+Q with proof that you can buy cheaper elsewhere and you will get the difference back

I did that before , I purchased something , the next day Woodies put a flyer through our door where the same thing was half the price ( 20 euro difference ! )

I went back to B+Q with the receipt and the flyer , and they gave me the difference with no fuss at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

Didn't know you could do that. Certainly easier than returning and buying again. What kind of proof would you need though, if didn't have flier like you had?

Photos of the shelf edge pricing ?

Not sure otherwise

ok from B+ Q web site ,

We’re so confident our prices in store are cheaper than our competitors, that if you buy a product from us and find the same product (or the equivalent in the case of the B&Q Brand) available locally for less – even if it’s a sale or special offer price – we’ll not just match that price but we’ll beat the lower price by a further 10% for your trouble. All we ask is that the lower price is generally available to any potential customer on the day that you call back, within 14 days of purchase, with a proof of purchase. Please ask in store for full Terms & Conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

Davidth88 is bang on, B&Q price promise exists for a reason, if you find it cheaper you will get 10% off lower price, B&Q just need to be able to verify the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

pms7 - what make are the atkins ones? in terms of verifying price; flyer, advert, web, phone call to atkins are all acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

OP I called to B&Q one sunday for a bag of M20 bolts, nuts etc. When I got to the till I was asked for 35 euros.... I left them there.

Got the same amount of stuff in the co-op stores in Kanturk for 8 euros. You should take a trip up there as they are a way cheaper than any of these places..

Advertisement