Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sound proofing upstairs

• 07-09-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    we live in a detached house with timber floor boards on timber joists up stairs
    the problem is that you can hear everything up stairs downstairs and vice versa.

our baby 15 months is a real light sleeper and we are getting very tired of tip toein around and walking along the one floor board that does not squeek.

i need help as to sound proof husband was saying to get 1/2 inch ply put it down and then will put carpet on top

i was thinking of getting underlay also and then carpet i know some carpet comes with its own underlay but i need extra !!!

any other ideas
    much appreciated thanks !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

put the underlay between the original floorboards and the new plywood sheets.
    not the answer to the problem tho. make more noise! music, fans, etc. its the lack of noise that wakes.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

whizbang wrote: »
    put the underlay between the original floorboards and the new plywood sheets.
    not the answer to the problem tho. make more noise! music, fans, etc. its the lack of noise that wakes.:cool:

Underlay goes under a carpet for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

monflat wrote: »
    Hi there
    we live in a detached house with timber floor boards on timber joists up stairs
    the problem is that you can hear everything up stairs downstairs and vice versa.

our baby 15 months is a real light sleeper and we are getting very tired of tip toein around and walking along the one floor board that does not squeek.

i need help as to sound proof husband was saying to get 1/2 inch ply put it down and then will put carpet on top

i was thinking of getting underlay also and then carpet i know some carpet comes with its own underlay but i need extra !!!

any other ideas
    much appreciated thanks !!!

I have the same problem Thats a good idea with the ply wood actually is 1/2 inch ply wood expensive per sheet?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jabba Da Putt

The above solutions will help with impact sound but if possible look at lifting a few floorbaords fitting 4-5 inches of glass mineral wool between your floor joists if airborne sound is an issue as the insulation is quite cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Rolls of Rockwool 200mm insulation on special offer at the moment in BnQ out in Airside,Swords.

10 euro a roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

hi there thanks for you replys i think the ply is about 17 inches a sheet will have to look if there is insulation underneath the floorboards

then go down the underlay route !

Advertisement