Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding temporary Film/TV/Media-related work in the US

• 07-09-2011 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi all,

I recently completed a Masters in Film Studies in University College Dublin. This means that, up to a year after graduating, I am eligible for a temporary (1 year) working visa in the United States, an opportunity I really want to take. The only stipulation is that the area I work in is somehow related to what I studied.

Now, since graduating, I've done some journalism work (editing, research and writing) but I haven't really done any Film or TV related work. My course was, sadly, almost entirely theory-based, with very little practical work (save for a screenwriting class). A few of my classmates are already in New York, and have been for several months, but there work seems limited to internships, mostly unpaid. I'd much rather get work where I did get paid, as the cost of flights and the visa itself will come to about €2,000.

Basically my questions are

(a) What the best parts of the US for finding Film/TV (and also Media, since I could probably make the argument of it being related to my Masters...) work? New York and Los Angeles seem like obvious choices, and I would love to visit both, but I figured they may be overrun with blow-ins such as myself, so other, more esoteric suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(b) What is the best way to go about finding work? My friends tell me craigslist is excellent, but I'm sure - as with moving to New York or LA - loads of people have already thought of it, so are there any other, lesser known ways? Are there any smaller studios or companies that are worth contacting directly? I haven't a lot of experience, so I'd be happy to be a runner or whatever, but, as I said, I would like to get paid, as the process of going over there does require getting a social security number and so forth.

Any advise that would be greatly appreciated, and rewarded by me sending out good karma for the rest of the week!

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 powell

Hi,while I can't help you directly I think Craig's list is an excellent start. Keep in mind that you need to scour it every single day and be the first to hop on opportunites.

However, I would suggest you post your requirement on Craig's list as its a well used board here in the US. Someone somewhere will give you direction.

Best of luck.
    Mary
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

This site is pretty good:
    ProductionHub

Advertisement