Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A town fights back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

No, I'm asking you. What does that office think any individual can do to solve the problems, the real, long term problems of Drogheda. You want to be snarky with me, I'll ask you to come up with a better answer than "Go do something yourself". I've already said I dont think what that office is doing is worth much. What do you think that office and the people inside are really going to achieve?

Well i am not 100 % sure what they will achieve , or even if they will achieve anything . But what i will say is that at least there are people in the town willing to try there best to do something to change our current situation . Have you been in the office ? Have you asked the questions to the people in charge of the project ? I have and some of the answers have been good and some not so good . There plans for tourism in Drogheda are the most concrete imo , they have some great ideas re the heritage of drogheda and its many attractions for tourists in Britain and the usa and Europe . There hearts are in the right place and they are trying . We should at least give them a chance before we dismiss this out of hand .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm more than happy to give them a chance. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong and to see them help Drogheda enter a boom period. And fair play to them if they think they are doing something helpful.

Its just I don't have much faith that they can actually achieve anything substantial in the long term and getting snarky with me because of that is completly unfair. I'm all for people trying to achieve something but I'm also all for people not wasting their time or getting their hopes up over something that has only a very, very, very slim chance of achieving something minor in the short term and has no hope of fixing the town in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I think if their focus is on tourism it will have some beneficial affect on the town, and i think in time as they make drogheda more and more 'marketable' in that sense, will show that the office in the town will have been worthwhile.

I think tourism would be a great thing to focus on. I think you've got the historical aspect of the town waiting to be exploited. Hell, I'm even writing a book at the moment with Millmount as a core plot point in the vauge hopes that one day, maybe, they'll do a film of my book in Drogheda and bring some money and toruism in that way :P

I just still don't know if a few volunteers can exploit Drogheda's tourism industry to the extent it can be exploited, nor if exploiting the tourism industry is going to be enough to get the town back on its knees, let along its feet.

Haven't we been promoting Drogheda as a heritage hot spot for many, many years with little to no success whatsoever?

Why can't Drogheda be something else? Our heritage and our history is quite boring, to be frank. Yeah, I'm sure there were some exciting fights and many a story to be told of the olden days, but there's nothing to actually see now. Visit the battle of the boyne and see a few canons and a large green area? Go to Millmount and view a circular building?

Why are we expecting people to come to the country for these things? I know I live here, so I'm never going to be able to look at Drogheda the same way a tourist will, but it just seems to be such a dull place with nothing really going on.

And on top of that, we've got about 40 'festivals' a year. Why has the town got such a fascination with the word 'festival'? It's added after everything (Drogheda Arts, Festival, Graffiti Festival, Samhain Festival, Samba Festival, food festival) it's just too much.

Why can't they combine all of these into one big, dare I say it, actual festival for a week in the town.

Ask venues around the town to have special events on and close the town off to traffic from 9-8 every weekday for the week, and have all of the stuff that they'd usually have scattered throughout the year, all at once, squeezed into a 5 day series of events.

That's a full week worth of events. If every venue gets involved, and had a big, heavily promoted event for one day (so Earth could have something on a Monday, Bru on a Tuesday, Star and Crescent on a Wednesday, TLT on a Thursday, etc.) each with different smaller events going on throughout the week, it seems like everyone could be a winner.

And then why not get some guys down into the river to hang thousands of waterproof LEDs along the side of the boyne (I suggested this on here before i think) that change colour to make the river not look as filthy as it is.

How about an observation tower that lifts people up above the town for a view of the whole place (stick a restaurant or something inside to create more money). Stick it over beside the Viaduct, as close as you can, so you can see trains passing as you go up in it.

I realise there's no real money for an observation tower, and it's a far-fetched idea to begin with, but it's something that'd be completely different to anything else we have in the town.

Also, as far as I'm lead to believe, when new shops open in the town, the local heroes offer to help kitting the shop out and cleaning it up and making it look presentable. I also believe they're offering to decorate shop windows on west street with christmas stuff (I believe they charge a small bit for this).

If that's true, is it not counter-productive? Surely if the local heroes weren't doing that work, then you'd have someone getting hired out to do those jobs?

I don't know if maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way or something, but although i reckon that there's some great stuff that could be done, it seems to be losing direction at the moment and not really aiming for anything?

(I should point out that my hat is off for people giving up their time to do some good for the town, and I obviously wish them all the very best of luck everything they do. I live in the town so any goodness benefits me, too. I just fear that when Quinn and his cameras are gone, you'll just have a new voluntary unit in the town that campaign for changes to things that wont really have any affect on things? Though I do hope I'm wrong).

That theme park idea that was lingering around during the 'boom' times would've been a massive success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ashgal

Can I just throw in my two cent here for what it's worth! :)

I'm from Dundalk but have lived in Limerick for 11 years...as it stands Limerick City is dead on its feet. It has experienced one of the worst cases of donut development and the centre of the city is a bleak and quiet place most days.

In saying that, there are a number of people who have taken inspiration from the work that the local people are doing in Drogheda and I for one think they should be commended! There is a subtle movement starting in Limerick which I believe has started because of what we have seen on our TV screens and I truely hope, if anything, it gives Limerick people a reason to be positive, happy and the chance to reclaim and sell the city once more.

It is very easy and with our Irish streak for it, to sit down and complain, moan and begrude...and to generally have a negative view about our current economic situation, however we and only we can change it. The people of Drogheda may not have all the answers, or what the future holds or how what they are doing now will change the town or increase jobs etc.....but at least something is being done and a positive vibe no doubt it being felt accross the town.

Bravo Drogheda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

whats the name of the jobs website on the show tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

I'm more than happy to give them a chance. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong and to see them help Drogheda enter a boom period. And fair play to them if they think they are doing something helpful.

Its just I don't have much faith that they can actually achieve anything substantial in the long term and getting snarky with me because of that is completly unfair. I'm all for people trying to achieve something but I'm also all for people not wasting their time or getting their hopes up over something that has only a very, very, very slim chance of achieving something minor in the short term and has no hope of fixing the town in the long run.

At least the people of drogheda are trying to make something happen rather than sitting on their arse at the comfort of their computer moaning about how it will not work. The way it will work is if everyone makes an effort to get involved in any small way they can and we work together to improve the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 HELM

How about an observation tower that lifts people up above the town for a view of the whole place (stick a restaurant or something inside to create more money). Stick it over beside the Viaduct, as close as you can, so you can see trains passing as you go up in it.

I realise there's no real money for an observation tower, and it's a far-fetched idea to begin with, but it's something that'd be completely different to anything else we have in the town.

Is this not exactly what Millmount is, or have I misunderstood?
    Not sure if there is still a restaurant, if not it's a great idea to open one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Haven't we been promoting Drogheda as a heritage hot spot for many, many years with little to no success whatsoever?

Why can't Drogheda be something else? Our heritage and our history is quite boring, to be frank. Yeah, I'm sure there were some exciting fights and many a story to be told of the olden days, but there's nothing to actually see now. Visit the battle of the boyne and see a few canons and a large green area? Go to Millmount and view a circular building?

I do have to agree with this to be honest. I'm not sure that 'Heritage' is something that really attracts people to a location. I think some people may have the blinkers on when it comes to looking at locations such as Millmount, Magdalene tower etc. I suppose every town has it's own Heritage which is important to it but not so interesting to others.

If you're looking at Tourism, you have the obvious jewels of the Boyne Valley nearby but I would assume that this is largely visited as part of a day-trip from Dublin thus taking Drogheda out of the equation altogether. Maybe some effort could be made to align Drogheda with the Boyne Valley in some way - I always thought that development of the canal to provide a water-based service out to Bru na Boinne would be something different and might help capture some of that market.

The Cooley and Mourne mountains are probably just that bit far away to include in the town's tourism strategy (and Dundalk would obviously be better placed for those particular recreational facilities).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

I haven't seen any of the programmes nor am I involved in the Local Heroes project but I work next door to the hub and it's great to see and feel the buzz of the town again.
    I think everyone involved are doing great things. I know I'm biased as I've lived here all my life but I love Drogheda. It's a great town and I don't want to live anywhere else ever.
    We have so much to offer in this town and the cameras can do no harm in promoting this!
    Last night was great to see with the concert on West St - I haven't seen the town so alive in too long!
    Fair play to all involved and long may it last!

At least the people of drogheda are trying to make something happen rather than sitting on their arse at the comfort of their computer moaning about how it will not work. The way it will work is if everyone makes an effort to get involved in any small way they can and we work together to improve the town.

Thats naive and innocent, and I'm getting rather tired of this "stop moaning" reply just cause I ask hard questions.

I mean, fair play to KKV who posted several good ideas with long term prospects, even if a lack of money in a substantial way will make them difficult to achieve. At least his ideas have a long term vision. But it strikes me there's some people whose attitude is "Just do something", when the truth is theres no point doing something that will achieve nothing.

I'm sorry if I come accross as if I'm "moaning". All I want is an answer to some basic questions, top of the list being "What do people really think A Town Fights Back can achieve in the long run?" It strikes me it's coming up with ideas that are...

1. Nice for a television show.
    2. Nice for the short run

...but that when I dare ask what the long term vision or long term plans are, I get shouted down and told I need to stop moaning and go do something. I am doing something; I'm sitting on the ouside, looking in, and pointing out the realistic problems of this campaign; namely that the problems in Drogheda are not going to be solved by having a fireworks show or a concert or painting a few buildings. All of those are great in the short term and will give the economy a boost for a day. Maybe two. But not in a weeks time, and certainly not in a years time. And the reply I get is "lalala we can't hear you, stop being so negative!"

Everyone getting involved in a small way will only provide small, temporary fixes to large, country-wide problems. Call me a moaner if it makes you feel better. Go out and do something yourself if you think it can be a fruitful endevour. And please, please prove me wrong in the long term. But in the mean time, don't attack someone for asking a basic question on long term viability, or at least try and provide constructive answers in retorts, because its something we as a country failed to think of before and its what landed this country in the mess we're in in the first place.

paulocon wrote: »
    I do have to agree with this to be honest. I'm not sure that 'Heritage' is something that really attracts people to a location. I think some people may have the blinkers on when it comes to looking at locations such as Millmount, Magdalene tower etc.

Good post.
    Tourists, especially americans, love the towns heritage appeal. There a few times i have went around showing the place off to groups over and they think its great. Their one problem is that once they come and see the place theres nothing else to keep them here, let alone actually spend any money.
    Tourism is great and all, but no shops to buy anything special from or anything like that its a bit pointless. The local economy is losing out in that sense. Sure, bring them to the town, but give them reason to spend a few quid.
    I like the idea of an observation restraunt thing, but cant help feel reading that scotch hall phase 2 was going to have such facilities ontop of what they were supposed to have finished now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

CMpunked wrote: »
    Good post.
    Tourists, especially americans, love the towns heritage appeal. There a few times i have went around showing the place off to groups over and they think its great. Their one problem is that once they come and see the place theres nothing else to keep them here, let alone actually spend any money.
    Tourism is great and all, but no shops to buy anything special from or anything like that its a bit pointless. The local economy is losing out in that sense. Sure, bring them to the town, but give them reason to spend a few quid.
    I like the idea of an observation restraunt thing, but cant help feel reading that scotch hall phase 2 was going to have such facilities ontop of what they were supposed to have finished now.

There used to be a restaurant.... actually more a café at the top of wogans there after they did the place up maybe 15 years ago you could get soup or quiche etc , used be nice to sit up there and look out at the river etc. haven't been in since so don't know what is there no, but it used to be in the glass spire part on the river / bridge side

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I'm not sure what the situation is with the restaurant that is currently empty up at Millmount- the one with the room overlooking the town, I think that would make an ideal coffee shop/gift shop with great views. Possibly have tourists go in there at the end of a tour, so they will have been to St Peter's Church, Laurences Gate, then finish off with a tour of Millmount, then give them an hour to go and ramble themselves, hopefully spend a few quid in the town, then head off out to Newgrange, Bru Na Boinne, Battle of the Boyne centre or wherever they are going. The main downside is footfall, I doubt many locals would go up so you would be relying on when bus tours are around the town. I think Laurence's Gate would be a great attraction if they ever did make it safer to access and stopped traffic going underneath. I was up there a few years back on one of the open days and the views are fantastic, The viaduct and the sea on one side and the cable bridge in the other direction.

Great to see Mccluskys on tonight, only had half an eye on it but they seemed to be focusing on bringing yucky bagels to market, why in the name of god can't I buy a batch loaf anywhere but in drogheda?????? Surely expanding their reach of current products to a wider domestic market would be of benefit :confused:

I know more than 10 people living abroad that would kill for a batch loaf. I know they are going 70 years and the competition they have like JMoB etc but you can't even buy a batch loaf in tesco in drogheda last time I looked :mad: .... maybe they were sold out that day ..... btw..... I hate bagels :mad:

Is it a case of every place having it's own batch loaf bar mine? A ham + cheese on brown batch would be pretty good around now :(

Surely a national telly ad and marketing campaign on that alone would boost their net worth ..... thats it I'm heading up this weekend for some :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Dunnes up at Colpe Cross have good selection of McCloskeys bread, they always have the batch loaf.

Prefer the Paco Pan McCloskeys make myself :pac:

Talking of which, no sign of Colpe Cross on the Drogheda App, I see M1 retail Park and Donore Road Retail Park on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

calex71 wrote: »
    Great to see Mccluskys on tonight, only had half an eye on it but they seemed to be focusing on bringing yucky bagels to market, why in the name of god can't I buy a batch loaf anywhere but in drogheda?????? Surely expanding their reach of current products to a wider domestic market would be of benefit :confused:

I know more than 10 people living abroad that would kill for a batch loaf. I know they are going 70 years and the competition they have like JMoB etc but you can't even buy a batch loaf in tesco in drogheda last time I looked :mad: .... maybe they were sold out that day ..... btw..... I hate bagels :mad:

Is it a case of every place having it's own batch loaf bar mine? A ham + cheese on brown batch would be pretty good around now :(

Surely a national telly ad and marketing campaign on that alone would boost their net worth ..... thats it I'm heading up this weekend for some :D

I used to dislike bagels, until I toasted them, takes the stickyness away and I like the flavour. Nothing nicer than a toasted bagel with either cream cheese or pate.

I have seen McCloskeys bread in Tesco and Dunnes can't remember whether the batch was there though.

• Advertisement

Two relevant stories I've heard over the last few days....

Brother of a friend did some work for the TFB groups, doing basic but expertise work for them a few weeks back. After agreeing a price for his services, they are now being akward about pay. He's been on to them a few times but keeps getting fobbed off or being given excuses.

There's also apparently a proposal going round of getting rid of the taxi ranks in Drogheda; apparently Quinn thinks a better idea would be to have the taxis constantly moving round town, patrolling and picking up people that way. This despite the objections of the taxi drivers, who rightly point out it would jam up the traffic in the town AND cost them a fortune in terms of petrol being used on these trips, hoping to happen upon someone as they pass by...

There's also apparently a proposal going round of getting rid of the taxi ranks in Drogheda; apparently Quinn thinks a better idea would be to have the taxis constantly moving round town, patrolling and picking up people that way. This despite the objections of the taxi drivers, who rightly point out it would jam up the traffic in the town AND cost them a fortune in terms of petrol being used on these trips, hoping to happen upon someone as they pass by...

There is so many things wrong with that idea...

Also, whats a TFB group?

Town Fights Back
    :P

Town Fights Back
    :P

<.<
    >.>

I knew that..

I'm no business man but if thats true even an idiot could tell you what was wrong with that... muppets, for once I'm with the taxi drivers on something, a few cabs down outside scotch hall on a wet day wouldn't go astray though :o

Figured I'd keep this in one topic rather than make another.

Noticed in the DI that the building the Local Heroes were using is for sale. Have they moved somewhere else? Has the base of operations relocated?

That's odd. Thought they had that place for another year or two?

Have they done anything lately to warrant it, though? Things seem very quiet on the Local Hero front.

Can't see the LH office being moved out, They had a few heads in yesterday when I passed. The building being for sale shouldn't affect their lease, unless the bew owners think they can get someone else to fill it. Which in these days would be unlikely.

• Advertisement

Yeah, thats what I was wondering. Would they have to move out? I presume no one would buy the building unless they wanted to open a shop of some sort there though...

Advertisement