Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A town fights back

Options
13»

Comments

I know I'm into photography so i might be a bit biased and all, but should lettings agencies and the likes not hire a professional photographer?

I mean look at the state of that photograph:

FBDjOFBBOMgeNTLddjPKu3hTnn787kTN9TJsHgKk-IVtPXBpZSZlPTMwMHg0MDA=.jpg

They're expecting someone to hand over almost half a million Euro, and that's the photograph they think is going to sell the property? It's hard to tell if their selling a shop or a tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

I know I'm into photography so i might be a bit biased and all, but should lettings agencies and the likes not hire a professional photographer?

I mean look at the state of that photograph:

FBDjOFBBOMgeNTLddjPKu3hTnn787kTN9TJsHgKk-IVtPXBpZSZlPTMwMHg0MDA=.jpg

They're expecting someone to hand over almost half a million Euro, and that's the photograph they think is going to sell the property? It's hard to tell if their selling a shop or a tree.

its not about the photo really, they are buying a property not a photo, i would guess that the council rates on this property would be pretty hefty!!

the photo does not sell the property, the location does! ;)

a nicer photo could have been but up all right, i dont disagree there!

LH2011 wrote: »
    its not about the photo really, they are buying a property not a photo, i would guess that the council rates on this property would be pretty hefty!!

the photo does not sell the property, the location does! ;)

a nicer photo could have been but up all right, i dont disagree there!

Whilst I obviously agree that nobody is going to buy a property they don't want, nor are they necessarily going so skip on a property that fits perfectly into what they want it for, it would really make you think twice wouldn't it?

Truthfully, It'd cost feck all to get a professional photographer down there to take photos of the outside and inside of the building. Even less if you gave the photographer regular work on other properties.

The agency have a €450,000 price tag on it. I'm sure their profit margin wouldn't be too badly dented by hiring a photographer.

I don't know much about the world of properties or buying or renting retail buildings, I'll happily admit. But surely when it looks like the lettings agency wandered down themselves with a €50 camera and snapped a photo of a tree, it doesn't really look like they're doing too well financially? It looks like a child took the photograph.

We all know that property and everything related to it is taking a beating these days, so the guys that are trying to sell this property really look like they're on their knees in my opinion, when they won't spend, what, €100? on a photographer.

Although does a potential buyer care if the agency that sold it to him are gone in six months? There's no such thing as 'customer service' with buying property is there? Once you buy it any problems are inherited by the new owner?

As I say, I'm a photographer myself, so it's something I tend to notice straight away. Just in my nature now, I suppose to look at photographs that are used like this.

The amount of local businesses putting atrocious photographs on their facebook page is shocking though. Some people just don't seem to understand a professional business image, at all. :confused:

Anyway... I'm just ranting away now. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheGreenOne

Even though the price is advertised as 450,000 euro, it is actually the asking price. At the moment there are very few properties on the market that will make a profit, and probably wont be sold until the property market picks up (10 years if we are lucky! :P) Local Heroes are here for next 10 years :P

I do agree with the photograph, it looks like i took it on my phone! LOL! In my opinion, i think the owner of the property isnt too pushed on hiring a photographer because they know they will not sell any time soon. When things pick up he may get better photograph to sell his property. Thats a big difference from the Celtic Tiger years, every photograph that was used to sell their property was digitally edited to look like a Mediterranean resort!

Gonna head down to these guys today and see will they help me out. I'm a newly self-employed professional photographer. I've an idea that may make money and involves assisting another local business, too, so I wonder will they help promote it for me or such.

Or more importantly, I wonder what will they ask for in return for helping me.

I'm very curious about this, now, and how it will play out (if at all - I'm sure there's every possibility to tell me to feck off :P ). I've been fairly sceptical about the Local Heroes since it's inception, so I'm wondering if I'll have a whole new opinion tomorrow, when I actually want them for something (rather than being someone who was an outsider looking in) or if I'll be back here tomorrow evening moaning and complaining :pac:

Anyone any direct experience with them?

• Advertisement

"There isn't really a lot we can do for you, to be honest."

Sure it was worth a try, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

"There isn't really a lot we can do for you, to be honest."

Sure it was worth a try, I suppose.

...so what's the point of them then? Did they at least suggest who to get in touch with?

klong wrote: »
    ...so what's the point of them then? Did they at least suggest who to get in touch with?

Not particularly.

Said all they can do is put me in a "Career Clinic", where someone will review my CV and business plan with me. Didn't mention if this was free or if it costs (not that I'd be very interested in it, anyway, to be honest, hence I didn't follow up).

Guy I was talking to was a photographer too. Had a bit of a chat about photography and I went on my way. Guy himself seemed nice enough, but Local Heroes as a whole doesn't seem to actually do anything.

I was kinda hoping they'd meet me with some enthusiasm or something.

At the VERY least, you'd think they'd buy a block of 1,000 ads from the likes of the Drogheda Leader or something, and re-sell them to small businesses (if they bought that amount of ads, they'd get a bit discount Im sure, and then they could pass this on to the new or struggling businesses in the area, to help them promote themselves).

That's just one idea off the top of my head, that'd benefit everyone. I thought that up in about 10 seconds. Not sure what they spend their time doing, to be honest.

I'm sure they're doing something, of course, but I'm just not sure what it is. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

friend of mine got help with his cv, career advice and what not, sounded decent enough to me

Do FAS not already do that, though?

• Advertisement

Well I just seen on Facebook what the Local Heroes have been keeping themselves busy with recently:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=320097208049475&set=a.213273405398523.50706.211051025620761&type=1&theater

For those who can't click, or aren't bothered, they've organised to have Ireland's biggest ever pub quiz held in Drogheda.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cause everything in Drogheda must revolve around pubs :pac:

Advertisement