Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protect escalonia hedge from frost?

Options
  • 07-09-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭

My 60m 8-year-old escalonia hedge suffered badly in the frost last year but after I cut it back in early Summer it recovered with growth on each bush. Is there anything I can do to protect it this year as I suspect it's more vulnerable than ever?
    Would it be worthwhile covering it with fleece?
    Or should I just pray and replace it with something more hardy next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

dna_leri wrote: »
    My 60m 8-year-old escalonia hedge suffered badly in the frost last year but after I cut it back in early Summer it recovered with growth on each bush. Is there anything I can do to protect it this year as I suspect it's more vulnerable than ever?
    Would it be worthwhile covering it with fleece?
    Or should I just pray and replace it with something more hardy next year?

If you can protect it with fleece it would help , however it is generally a very large hedge and fleece protection may not be an option. I'd say take a chance this year and replace it if we get the same as last :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 BorderGap

I have over 120m of escalonia hedging in 3 separate hedges and about 25% of it completely died last winter. The hedging is 3 years old. Replacing it is a very painful thought, so i've decided to replace one of the 3 hedges by removing the dead plants and relocate those remaining into the other 2 hedges.

Would anyone have advice on when i should relocate 3 year old escalonia?

Regarding protecting them, i've invested in some windbreaker which i will cover the hedge in during December.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Just a note, it might not be last winter's cold weather that has damaged your hedges - there is a lot of sick escallonia hedges around - see

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about5476.html

I bought in new liners two years ago and they look great in spring but had lost lots of leaves later in the year.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

Hi

60m of decent fleece is going to cost!...not to mention heartache of trying to secure it in high wind...I think all you can do is hope for the best!...The last 2 winters have been unreal and I have lost many plants..What recovered this "Summer" will be in serious trouble this winter if UK and IRE met office predictions are correct!

Its showing all signs of a tough winter...trees bursting with berries,,apple trees loaded with fruit..I know this is the weather forecast used by the older generation,,,,But old and wise as they say :)

Advertisement