Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dream about tsunami hitting ireland

Options
  • 07-09-2011 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm new to this site and was just reading peoples posts bout likely hood of a tsunami hitting Ireland, well i don't know what the likely hood of it happening but I had a very vivid dream about one originating off the coast of France.
    In my dream it wiped out most of western europe, including Ireland it was so real I can't stop thinking bout it a month later, the lady doing the broadcast on the TV said if your in Portugal, Spain, Holland to name a few there was no point in running that they were going underwater.

It kept me awake the rest of the night trying to picture the world map, until.

My 3 year old daughter woke up crying telling me why couldn't i get her out of the water that the water was everywhere and i couldn't help her, she said there were so many people in the water, I'm sorry but that just frecked me out even more.

Could someone please shed some light on the likely hood of this ever happening, it apparently started off the French coast, would this ever be possibly, or was our same dream on the same night just coincidence?????:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

haha! sorry but that's gas! have you watched The Day After Tomorrow lately? lay off the cheese...

but on a serious note. A tsunami could start off the coast of north Africa, apparently half the side of Gran Canaria could slide off into the sea causing a tsunami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hadadream

I'm seriously scared about this, didnt mean to be cheesy it really was an awful dream.
    I've been trying to get information on the net but keep coming up with the same things, when i came across this site, was interested to see if anyone could shed some light on the chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

As long as it got Bertie Ahern it would be okay by me.

As an earlier poster said, there was an article a few years ago about the consequences of an unstable part of the canary islands slipping into the sea and launching a Tsunami that would devastate Western Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Isn't there a propehcy of an earthquake off Clare which is supposed to devastate most of the county? Heard it at school years ago and there's a old lady who keeps talking about the prophecy of St Malachy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Ireland was actually hit by a tsunami in 1755, caused by an earthquake close to the south-west coast of Portugal. The estimated size of the quake is between 8.5 and 9.0 on the ricter scale, not far off the quake that devastated the coast of Japan in March.
    Its hard to find reliable info on the effects of the tsunami, other than that the spanish arch in Galway was destroyed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake
    http://www.sciencespin.com/magazine/archive/2009/09/threatening-western-waves-/

So it can happen. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Wont be a Tsunami originating from France as it would not gather enough momentum to cause much damage to us simply as its too close,however part of Volcanic the Canary Islands are just ripe to fall into the sea causing massive destruction to the east coast of the USA and western Europe, infact it is not a case of if but more a case of when,its a certainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd seen this situation in the Canary Islands on a documentary

I wonder could engineers pre-empt it.
    Dynamite thousands of tonnes over time in controlled explosions and send it bit by bit off the shelf into the sea

I suppose the issue then is who is going to pay for all this, would cost millions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

mikemac wrote: »
    I'd seen this situation in the Canary Islands on a documentary

I wonder could engineers pre-empt it.
    Dynamite thousands of tonnes over time in controlled explosions and send it bit by bit off the shelf into the sea

I suppose the issue then is who is going to pay for all this, would cost millions

very good idea mikemac but as you say who is going to pay for it, see my input on a thread below for a similar situation regarging a Coronal Mass Ejection. Exact same issue,possible avoidance but no political will.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056184447

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

Duiske wrote: »
    Ireland was actually hit by a tsunami in 1755, caused by an earthquake close to the south-west coast of Portugal. The estimated size of the quake is between 8.5 and 9.0 on the ricter scale, not far off the quake that devastated the coast of Japan in March.
    Its hard to find reliable info on the effects of the tsunami, other than that the spanish arch in Galway was destroyed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake
    http://www.sciencespin.com/magazine/archive/2009/09/threatening-western-waves-/

So it can happen. :eek:

I think its effects were also felt in Kilmore Quay. My understanding that a quake of that size has a reoccurance of 500 years. So watch out come 2250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

Damokc wrote: »
    A tsunami could start off the coast of north Africa, apparently half the side of Gran Canaria could slide off into the sea causing a tsunami.

I'm not convined that there is as much a danger as the Discovery channel would have us belive. Anyway were already overdue a bolide impact and a eruption at Yellowstone ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement