Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope Ring help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

They're pcatinny rings, do you have a picatinny rail on your .22?
    You'll hardly need quick attach rings aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

Yup there a picatinny rail on it. Its a pain getting it in and out of the safe because there is another rifle in it and it isn't the largest of safes in the world! its a tight squeeze with both them. cheapest option is to get these i think? I know it would mean checking zero when reattaching but i normally do paper targets before hunting to make sure so that wont be a problem?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've bought a load of stuff of this guy ( JJK shooting supplies ) over the last couple of years. His stuff is quality, his prices are keen, and he never sells cheap quality stuff. Shipping is not too bad. Usually around £6 - £10. He also has an ebay shop.

Could be more than you were willing to spend but Warne, leupold, etc are good makes.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

there a tad pricey for me alright! kinda looking for something cheap and cheerful! but thanks for the link anyway!

The problem you face is to find a set of cheap detachable rings is going to be a problem. I found a company that will ship to Ireland and are lloking $20 for the rings. However they want $50 for shipping.

You could get any amount of cheap rings that are non detachable or with a few turns of some side screws can slide on and off, but it means rezeroing everytime. For example recently bought a cheap one piece, 1", medium height mount for the anschutz. Cost €20 in total. It has 3 allen head screws on the side. So i loosen them and slide in on and off.

You could go for something like this and simply mark the receiver so when you replace the mount it is barely off and it will only tke a few clicks to get your zero rather than a full zero in.

Or buy a bigger safe. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

well detachable or simple to remove and install without too much of a deviation on the zero! would a one piece mount be good or are they expensive? I need new scope rings anyway because the rings i av are sliding on the rail and knocking off the zero abit. its a .22 but its moving the scope?! the rings must be crap is what im thinking!

Can i ask where you got them mounts? i need the 1" mounts too. is it dovetail or picatinny?

To be homest lad, the set you want seems to be unavailable, the others ones that are available are too expensive, and the affordable ones that are available are non-detachable.

If its only to make life a little easier when getting it in and out of the safe why not get a set of "fixed" rings and have piece of mind. A decent set, and good enough for a rimfire would be Hawke for an 11-13mm dovetail. Or you could go for a set that would suit your picatinny rail like Sportsmatch.

Excuse the slow answers, but the pig of a computer is having a nervous breakdown. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

A bit pricey but would suit your requirements. I've bought a few bits and pieces from them and they top notch to deal with.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Leupold-QRW-1-Rifle-Scope-Rings-Weaver-Medium-49856-/250851279564?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item3a67e6c2cc#ht_500wt_950

I bought these a few weeks back for attaching a Lenser P7 to the scope, thought they were also available in 1" but cant find them now.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/370511652513?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_6436wt_754

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Have a look at these.......... at €3.75 a pair inc post you wont be loosing a fortune. Easy to take off with a turn of a coin. For the money they are very good. For your 22lr they will do well enough and they will send worldwide

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/25mm-gun-rail-mount-2-pack-4772

sku_4772_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

@whitely91 - PM me with what you need EXACTLY and I'll send you a set of 1" rings. I have the throwing-away of stuff for the average 11mm/3/8th dovetail .22 receiver, especially for a shooting lad looking for cheap and cheerful. I'm told that I'm real cheap, but hardly ever cheerful, God knows.

Incidentally - the seemingly cheap rings above are also meant for a Picatinny or Weaver rail - if you look at the underneath they have the typical cross bar lock.

tac

• Advertisement

thanks for all the help lads!
    I know i need 1" rings but not sure of what height i need? the ones i have are dovetail and there sitting about 3 mm off barrel. its a 50mm obj lens on scope.
    (the rail is this one so it takes both dovetail and picatinny style mounts http://www.m1surplus.com/images/scope_mounts/scope_mount_ammrb003_c.jpg )

@tac- I need 1" anyway and i think a one piece would be easier to take on and off? but if i could get a two piece with something like this http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=Scope_Ring&level2=&itemno=RG2W1104&status=&mtrack=12m
    or something like in my first post? well just something quick and easy to take on and off without effecting zero in a huge way!

k.

B-Square make a 11mm/3/8th mount - as fitted to most rimfire and airguns - that has a Weaver rail built in. New here in UK they are around £55, but I've just found one s/h and sent it to a pal in the VCRAI last week or so. It was £25. I have the same thing on my old Anschutz 1409 with a T-36 Weaver on it. It is held on by four hex bolts, so isn't exactly an instant removal, but it does go back where it came from.

With a pal working in Warne rings in Tualatin/Clackamas, anything made by them is pretty easy for me to lay my paws on, if Warne stuff floats your boat.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

www.kinneysshootingsupply.com sell scope rings and will post to Ireland.
    Shipping rates are good too.

zeissman that site is really good!
    Thanks for that tac!

But im still confused on what size mounts i need? is there a way to calculate it or something?!

whiteley91 wrote: »
    is there a way to calculate it or something?!

Usually what i do is;
    • Take the diameter of the objective lense, say 50mm.
    • Add 3mm for the width of the housing and 3mm for the minimum height off the barrel.
    • That gives 56mm.
    • Split that which gives our height from the barrel to the centre lineof the scope tube. So 28mm.
    • Now measure the height of the rail.
    • Say its 7mm.
    • Take the 7mm from the 28 mm leaving you with 21mm and thats th height of the rings you need. (21mm = 7/8" (or a tad less))
    Once you have this number you smply need to find out how the manufacturer measures their rings. For example some measure their's from the base of the ring (the falt piece that sits on the rail/receiver) to the bottom of the curve (where the tube sits). Some measure from the base of the ring to the centre of the ring diameter (centre line of the tube if you will).

Once you figure this out you choose accordingly.

PS - Apologies for the p**s poor description of the points of measurement.

Most conventional .22 rimfire rifles have an 11mm/3/8th inch dovetail groove on the receiver- as do most airguns.

Any rings or mounts on to which you want to put rings have to fit this size dovetail. The B-square mounts I mentioned are designed to go on any rim-fire rifle that has this kind of dovetail, and to let you put either Weaver or Picatinny rings on it. How you calculate the height you need depends on the size of the largest part of the scope - usually the object glass diameter. With your 50mm scope you will need at least the medium height rings.

Most .22 rimfire rifles have the rings directly fitting onto the dovetail - you are complicating matters by wanting to fit QR rings that are usually seen on Weaver or Picatinny rails - as found on full-bore/centre-fire rifles. There is nothing wrong with that - as I mentioned, I have such a set-up on my old Anschutz, but you really need to see the real thing to get an idea.

tac

I thought it would be easier to show you my rail and sizes and it might help clear up somethings!
    in the pic you can see the rail with both the picatinny and dovetail rails on it. the rail is 6mm thick. its 13mm from the top of rail to the bottom of scope. the obj is 63mm at its widest and sits 4.5mm off the barrel. scope tube is 1".

dsc01139t.jpg

dsc01138kh.jpg

In the picture below i have marked two measurments. A & B. These are the most commonly used measurements used by ring manufacturers however they vary from brand to brand. Some will use A while others use B.

Your scope is the right height of the barrel so you are looking for a set of rings the same height as what you have. Now all you need to do is find a brand you like and then see which method they use to measure the ring height. Then choose a set based on their naming of that height.

What i mean is if you needed high rings, and Nightforce use the A measurement. They call their low rings 885 of an inch and their high rings as 1.125" thats one set. However if you choose say Leupold and decided to go for the high rings they do and they actually use measurement B then their high rings could be too high. Now i'm sure ring manufacturers take these things into consideration, but its best to check before buying. Too high a set of rings is almost as bad as too low.

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=10594

oh right that makes abit sense now. I was wondering because some rings seemed extremely high. I didn't realise there was two methods of measurements.
    So i basically have to research each manufacture of the rings to see how they measure them!
    Thanks for the info and websites they have been very helpful!

Trust me i, like alot of other people, got caught with the same thing. Hence the reason i know this. After my mistake i had to research it and find out where i went wrong.:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement