Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPP ad for Mayo Legal Job

Options
  • 07-09-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Is this ad legit or is it just more political spin.....seems a bit odd to me and I appreciate the depity is a solicitor. Perhaps this role is already earmarked for a special barrister?:rolleyes:

Deputy Michelle Mulherin has described as blatantly discriminatory in this era of equality the job advertisement placed by the Director of Public Prosecutors seeking barristers only to apply for the position of Circuit Court Prosecutor in Mayo, a position currently filled by John Jordan, B.L. Deputy Mulherin is a solicitor by profession and says she has taken the matter up with the Minister for Justsice.

"This is unbelievable since 1995 Solicitors are entitled to be considered for appointment as judges to the higher courts such as the Supreme Court, High Court and Circuit Courts where a number of solicitors have served with distinction to date.

"This also flies in the face of the decision of the Commission for Public Service Appointments last which last March found against the Attorney General who had been seeking to appoint barristers only to the posts of Advisory Counsel," the Ballina-based Fine Gael TD said.

"The Commission on that occasion stated its concern that public positions should be open to the broadest possible pool of candidates with the relevant attributes, skills and experience which included Solicitors for the purposes of the case in point.

Living in the past
    "Solicitors are already working as State Prosecutors in the District Court the length and breadth of the country. The D.P.P.’s advert suggests that a newly qualified barrister of three months experience can apply but a practising solicitor with 30 years experience cannot. This only serves to reinforce the public image that the profession is elitist and living in the past.

"I have requested the Minister for Justice, Deputy Alan Shatter to immediately take the D.P.P. to task and require him to conduct a fair competition applying modern established standards for the filling of positions based on merit," Deputy Mulherin added.

This article is from here.....

http://www.mayotoday.ie/index.php/browse-mayo-news-by-category/mayo-politics/item/3477-dpp-advert-for-mayo-legal-job-blatantly-discriminatory-mulherin.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I imagine odds can be obtained in Castlebar on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

nuac wrote: »
    I imagine odds can be obtained in Castlebar on this.

Any chance of giving us an idea who is in the field? Castlebar based?

Advertisement