Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Spot / Ich - an interesting experience that may be of use to others...

Options
  • 08-09-2011 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭

My community tank is just recovering from a heavy outbreak of white spot. I think it was introduced by either two new clown loach I bought to keep the one I already had company or by a school of neon tetras I introduced to the tank at the same time.

As soon as I spotted it, I removed the carbon sponge from my filter, upped the temperature to 28 degrees, increased aeration and treated the tank with eSHa EXIT according to the dosages on the instructions. I continued the treatment for 5 days and unfortunately it didn't seem to have any effect.

I don't know if something in the tank (the plants, substrate or filter) were removing the meds from the water or if the strain just happened to be resistant to meds. After reading about treating with whitespot with salt on-line, and tbh, in something approaching desperation, I treated the tank with regular table salt (1 teaspoon per gallon) and added a new external filter (thanks WIZE) which has improved flow significantly.

One of the loaches (tbh, the one I think infected the tank) didn't make it but the other fish are markedly improved, a couple of spots left but it definitely seems that the combination of salinity, heat and improved flow is working.

Will update this if things turn for the worse or, more optimistically, if they get better but if there's a strain of white spot that's immune to meds, I think it's definitely best that people know about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Very interesting mate, every tank owner will have to deal with ich at some point. I always found that the meds never did any good, I would just heat up the tank, increase filtration and hope for the best. But the table salt is a new one. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

I introduced some tetras to my 450l which had slight ich, I know stupid mistake but I had nowhere else for them.(I got them delivered online) I dont know the reason but I havent lost a fish yet. I think from the combination of very clean water and a temp of 27 degrees does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

High temperatures up to 27 degrees will just increase the life cycle of the ich. To stop them reproducing you need to be above 28 degrees or above 30 to kill the parasite.

Strong filtration with a 1 micron filter sponge would help as well as, apparently, the ich are 3 microns in size.

As a follow-up to this, I'm not so sure the temp and salt are working any more.

I replaced the salt I took out on water changes but there's still white spots on quite a few of the neons and the second of the new clown's is looking very ropey (even though the other is looking much better...).

Any other suggestions? Is there a way to measure salinity of tank water?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Had an ick problem too - got the meds and turned up the heat to 30 solved - only casualy was the sailfin molly to fond of the heater.

I find new tanks always gets ick, how old is your tank op?

• Advertisement

A couple of months, mainly new fish. Think it came in with some clown loach I bought. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Clown loach are particularly susceptible to white spot as they are scaleless fish. I wouldn't recommend keeping the temperature high for longer than a week. Although 27c isn't too bad. Your best bet is to try the treatment again, esha exit is a good one. Make sure there is no carbon filter present and that air pumps are turned off. 9 times out of 10 it should do the job.

Air pumps turned off??

Everything I've read on-line about treating whitespot says to increase aeration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

your still having white spot ?

Yep, seems to be an incredibly resistant strain :(

A lot better than it was but still doesn't appear to be fully gone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

I can't find the article that says to turn them off but it was something to do with it limiting the effectiveness of copper medications. Once you have good surface agitation by using a spray bar etc you shouldn't need to use one anyway.

Ah, apologies, I mis-read 'air pump' as 'filter pump'. No air pump going on my tank at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

i find the best with is using esHa 2000

if you have a 180 ltr tank do the following

Day 1 45 drops
    Day 2 22 drops
    Day 3 22 Drops

Day 4 50% water change

Day 5 12 Drops

Do it every morning and dont feed the fish till the evening

Have been doing more frequent gravel vacuuming and ensuring the salt levels stay right and *touch wood* I think it's getting there, both clowns are looking spot free. One has a few visibly healing wounds from it but is looking better by the day whilst the other appears absolutely fine. The tetras seem active and only one or two have any indication of spots (and these are in their tails where, at this stage, I think it may just be scar tissue that's visible due to the translucency of the tail).

I'm still amazed at the success you've had with using eSHa 2000 to cure Ich WIZE. eSHa themselves recommend using EXIT and mention that the 2000 can be used in conjunction with it to help any secondary infections / help the wounds from the Ich parasites to heal.

One thing I have discovered during all of this is that my Clown's aren't as fond of hiding as I'd thought, they just dislike the tank's light and hide from it. I'd been leaving it off more in an attempt to lower the stress on the fish and have discovered they're far more active with it off. I have a fair few plants in the tank and bog-wood but nothing that big (yet). Also put some floating plants in though they don't give much in the way of shade.

Think I'll have to pick up some more plants at payday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

i can give you more of the same plant if you like; let me know if ever out this way. Then you can pick up the filter top too if you like (texted you on that the other day?)

Sorry, phone was out of service the past week after it died on me (mid-way through a stag weekend giving my o/h a right panic).

The plant you gave me has already spawned another three so think I might go for something else to balance the aesthetics of the tank, thanks for the offer though! :)

Will drop you a text next time I'm out your direction and collect the filter top if it's convenient for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

I was hit with Ich a few years back. As you are doing I found upping the temp, increased aeration and more water changes solved the issue for me with minimal casualites. Good luck.

Advertisement