Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-pay dongle advice please

Options
  • 08-09-2011 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Arrived 2 days ago in Scarborough, WA and urgently need to buy a pre pay dongle to get online to get stuff done! Staying in a pretty poor hotel and out of despiration I've paid $20 for 5 hours of their shockingly bad wireless connection that keeps dropping so I'm spending half the time refreshing webpages so am desperately in need of some advice on what I should buy. Won't be in permenent accommodation for around 4 weeks so need something to tide me over.

I'll also be needing a Aus mobile asap so is there any providers that do deals if you go for both?? I've tried googlling all this but like I said I'm going insane as every time I click on a search result I get the timed out, try again page! :rolleyes:

Any advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Local library should have free internet access if you really need it and don't want to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Local library should have free internet access if you really need it and don't want to pay.

Thanks, will check it out. Still going to need something to use though, I'll be house hunting, job hunting etc. and I'm not sure the local library would facilitate my addiction to Boards.ie's Liveline thread late in the evening!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tezzy_v2

We were in the same both when we arrived a month ago in Perth.

We got this wireless modem with Optus
    http://www.optus.com.au/store/phone/mini_wifi_kit
    $99 for 8gb that you can use over 6 months. Then top it up or whatever as needs be. Very handy with a couple of laptops/smartphones on the go in the same house. Plus you can pop it in your pocket and use it as a network for your smartphone etc.

We also got an Optus Sim card and $50 got us a month's unlimited landline/mobile calls and texts. Think it was the Turbo Cap. You can get cheaper options but the $xxx 'bonus credit' generally alien way they work the plans can be confusing to begin with. We made a lot of calls in the first month to landlords, agents, job agencies, car dealers etc and the $50 was well spent just to be able to use the phone and forget about topping up

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marksparks08

theres free wi-fi in all maccas so jus get a coffee in there an the don't say anything to ya, also theres a lot of wi-fi green areas in the city where u can jus go an chill wit the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

The month to month plans with vodafone are pretty good. For $39 a month you can get 10gb and you are not tied to any contract so you can cancel anytime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement