Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

partioning / dividing up the shed (for my dogs)

• 08-09-2011 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I have a 12x 8 foot shed that I was considering dividing up.
    2/3rds of the shed will be a workshop effort and the remainder will be for the dogs.

I'm looking for advice for what this should cost basically.
    I want to cut a dog flap at the end of the shed and erect a partition with door about 3 or 4 foot from the end.

It should go like this main door> 8 foot in partition with door> dog flap.

Any comments advice or general laughter welcome

Jackr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I'm not trying to be smart but if your shed is only 12*8ft and only 1/3rd of this is for your dogs, I don't think it's enough room! Are they tiny breeds?!

We have a small wooden shed about the same size and when my dog had pups we moved them out to the shed after a few weeks, we gave about 2/3rds for the pups, knowing that it was only going to be temporary, we just partitioned it with pallets(held together with twine and nails!). You're probably looking for something more permanent though. Also, we just literally hacked into the side of shed and used a saw to cut out a flap, then cut up a few strips of perspex and nailed them to a little wooden frame and stuck it up over the "door"!

Honestly, if you're not looking for anything fancy, a DIY job should cost next to nothing. If you want it to look well and do it properly, maybe you should enquire on Home&Garden forum.

Good luck with it:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

OP do you mean that it will be partitioned like a kennel? i.e. they can go in and out as they please?
    If you do mean a kennel style house, I would suggest making an area that has a raised level in one corner/side (even a pallet or two lying down and covered with a piece of plywood and old carpet or such), this will help keep the dogs off the cool floor if it is chilly out.
    I would also position the door at one end and create a breeze block inside so the wind cannot blow directly on the dog.
    I will try to explain better,
    If you put the door opening in the front left corner facing forward, place a wooden partition parallel to the side walls, inside the door and connected to the "door frame" so that it comes in 1/3-1/2 of the width - this will create a "hall" so the dog walks in the door, down the hall (most like one or two steps ) and turn right to enter the main area.
    From the dogs angle the raised area would be at the end on front of them.Or from the top down view, the right corner/side.

I'm very bad at explaining things and I'm possibly thinking of a larger size by using pallets but I hope you get the idea :o

Advertisement