Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asterix and obelix in the burren

• 08-09-2011 7:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I was majorly peeved there on Tuesday when I wanted to drive along Black Head, only to be suddenly stopped by a guard with a smile on his face, beyond Faranfore and told to go back to Ballyvaughan.

Apparently Asterix and Obelix was been filmed there so a major beauty spot was inaccessible for the common people.
    Its not okay that a film company can take over like that and deny access. there was chaos there with three tour buses having to turn around on a very narrow road, because there were no warning signs in Ballyvaughan. they probably wanted to keep the filming secret.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭maryb26

They have not been able to do much filming as it has been pouring rain since they arrived. The landowners who have grazing rights on the commonage are being paid compensation so I'm sure Clare Co. Council are being paid in ordere to close the road. They have some amount of gear cranes campers caravans marquees etc down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

It's no secret that filming is taking place up there but your right that they should have signage up to stop traffic from heading that way.

The "major beauty spot" will be open once again soon, the film is giving employment to locals and may increase tourism to the area, not too shabby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm tempted to drop by and ask Gérard if he fancies going on a pub crawl while the weathers a bit damp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I was majorly peeved there on Tuesday when I wanted to drive along Black Head, only to be suddenly stopped by a guard with a smile on his face, beyond Faranfore and told to go back to Ballyvaughan.

Apparently Asterix and Obelix was been filmed there so a major beauty spot was inaccessible for the common people.
    Its not okay that a film company can take over like that and deny access. there was chaos there with three tour buses having to turn around on a very narrow road, because there were no warning signs in Ballyvaughan. they probably wanted to keep the filming secret.

Ah thats just taking the píss....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

Some size of a set if the have closed off all the roads between Ballyvaughan and Farranfore!!:D...

Fanore perhaps.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

maryb26 wrote: »
    They have not been able to do much filming as it has been pouring rain since they arrived. The landowners who have grazing rights on the commonage are being paid compensation so I'm sure Clare Co. Council are being paid in ordere to close the road. They have some amount of gear cranes campers caravans marquees etc down there.

hopefully they will not damage the environment. There are some things money cannot buy.

I'm tempted to drop by and ask Gérard if he fancies going on a pub crawl while the weathers a bit damp.

he would probably piss all over the floor of the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

hopefully they will not damage the environment. There are some things money cannot buy.

Damage the burren? How in the name of jaysus could someone damage the burren? It's just a big slab of rock for fecks sake. Are you scared they'll crack it and we'll have to buy a new one?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Damage the burren? How in the name of jaysus could someone damage the burren? It's just a big slab of rock for fecks sake. Are you scared they'll crack it and we'll have to buy a new one?

There are a lot of rare plant species in the Burren, if what I remember from Junior Cert Geography is to be believed! I'm sure they would have done a proper survey of the area before deciding where to film though.

in a banana Republic, which this place feels like at times, you just pay the money and you can do as you please.

The local Clare authorities themselves wanted to build a monstrous visitors centre in the most scenic part of the burren.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

in a banana Republic, which this place feels like at times, you just pay the money and you can do as you please.

The local Clare authorities themselves wanted to build a monstrous visitors centre in the most scenic part of the burren.

It was actually the OPW who wanted to build a visitor centre at Mullaghmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

Thousands and thousands of people visit the burren every year - what makes you think a film crew are going to do any more damage than a bus load of foreign gawkers? What about all the mini dolmens that idiots erect every year.....which are then photographed by other idiots who think they are ancient leprechaun tombs. The more the merrier I say, anything that advertises the area and Ireland has got to be a good thing in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

You couldn't be more wrong actually, Clare County Council actually refused to grant the planning permission for the Centre. As already said it was Síle DeValera and the OPW who were behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Does anyone know how long they will be down there filming? I'm due to go kayaking in Fanore tomorrow. Is the road closed on the beach side of Siopa Fanoir or on the Doolin side?

Chavways wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long they will be down there filming? I'm due to go kayaking in Fanore tomorrow. Is the road closed on the beach side of Siopa Fanoir or on the Doolin side?

surely these kind of things have been advertised on Clare Fm at the least?
    you should be able to get to Fanore from Ballyvaughan, but they might have changed things.

forestman wrote: »
    Thousands and thousands of people visit the burren every year - what makes you think a film crew are going to do any more damage than a bus load of foreign gawkers? What about all the mini dolmens that idiots erect every year.....which are then photographed by other idiots who think they are ancient leprechaun tombs. The more the merrier I say, anything that advertises the area and Ireland has got to be a good thing in the long run.

it has been a while since I have seen mini dolmens. there is an official at pollnabrone these days to request that foreign bodies do not erect such structures.
    I wonder is there a similar official on the coast requesting the same of the the film crew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

it has been a while since I have seen mini dolmens. there is an official at pollnabrone these days to request that foreign bodies d not erect such structures.
    I wonder is there a similar official on the coast requesting the same of the the film crew?

I have seen signs near Black Head where the buses pull in telling people not to build the cairns.I think most of them have gotten the message.I knock them down if I see them.

Chavways wrote: »
    I have seen signs near Black Head where the buses pull in telling people not to build the cairns.I think most of them have gotten the message.I knock them down if I see them.

The signs are here in many languages but the onus is also on the tour guide on these buses to remind them not to remove plants, but sadly a lot of them do not seem to care.
    it is a unique habitat that is not well known or appreciated in this country.

Advertisement