Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys, does it makes difference if your public sector?
    I'm a bit confused as to my salary, as the gross figure, pension deductions and taxable salary etc

I just want to confirm if I will get the 51% saving or 23% saving.
    Any way to work it out, I can PM somebody my details if they want. Thanks.

My payroll section said I will be down €24 per forthright if I spend the max €1000.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

kceire wrote: »
    Guys, does it makes difference if your public sector?
    I'm a bit confused as to my salary, as the gross figure, pension deductions and taxable salary etc

I just want to confirm if I will get the 51% saving or 23% saving.
    Any way to work it out, I can PM somebody my details if they want. Thanks.

My payroll section said I will be down €24 per forthright if I spend the max €1000.

If your in the top tax bracket you will get the higher saving, if your mainly int he lower bracket you will save the lower amount, if your under the lower tax bracket you won't save anything but you will have the benefit of paying interst free over the year.

its taken off your gross salary, so you dont pay tax that you would have normally paid through your wages.

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

It states on the legislation for this that the BWT scheme can only be availed of once every 5 year period. I wonder how exact they are in terms of availing of it again i.e if you used it first time around in the say July 2009 could you avail of it in say January or Ferbruary next year or would it have to be strictly July next year i.e would there be a bit of leeway on using it again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

John37 wrote: »
    It states on the legislation for this that the BWT scheme can only be availed of once every 5 year period. I wonder how exact they are in terms of availing of it again i.e if you used it first time around in the say July 2009 could you avail of it in say January or Ferbruary next year or would it have to be strictly July next year i.e would there be a bit of leeway on using it again

It would be at your employers discretion, but as it amounts to tax fraud, I wouldn't expect them to allow you to do it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kceire wrote: »
    It would be at your employers discretion, but as it amounts to tax fraud, I wouldn't expect them to allow you to do it.
    If as you say it amounts to tax fraud the employer has no "discretion" whatsoever!!

If someone first availed in July 2009 they cannot avail again with the same employer until July 2014 at the earliest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Beasty wrote: »
    If as you say it amounts to tax fraud the employer has no "discretion" whatsoever!!

If someone first availed in July 2009 they cannot avail again with the same employer until July 2014 at the earliest

Actually what the legislation says is that a person cannot avail of the scheme "more than once in any period of 5 consecutive years of assessment" starting with the year in which they first get a bike under the scheme. A year of assessment equates to the calendar year. So if the first year is 2009, the 5 consecutive years of assessment are 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.

That person can get another bike under the scheme in 2014 which would include Jan 2014. Conceivably this would be the same if they first used the scheme in Dec 2009. So the actual time period could be less than 5 years, it could in fact be just slightly over 4 years. No tax "fraud" in that - its exactly what the legislation provides.

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

dogsears wrote: »
    Actually what the legislation says is that a person cannot avail of the scheme "more than once in any period of 5 consecutive years of assessment" starting with the year in which they first get a bike under the scheme. A year of assessment equates to the calendar year. So if the first year is 2009, the 5 consecutive years of assessment are 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.

That person can get another bike under the scheme in 2014 which would include Jan 2014. Conceivably this would be the same if they first used the scheme in Dec 2009. So the actual time period could be less than 5 years, it could in fact be just slightly over 4 years. No tax "fraud" in that - its exactly what the legislation provides.

Thats what I was thinking myself. Happy days. I will more then likely need a new bike at the turn of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev23f

Hi all. I'm familiar with the operation of this scheme but have the following question concerning someone using the scheme when they have an expected leave date from a company.
    So employee A is due to exit the company in 2 weeks. Final payroll run for this employee is within that 2 weeks where all final salary and/or deductions due will be processed.
    Company practice is to deduct the full amount for bike to work scheme deductions in 1 payroll month only.
    Given that the employee is due to exit, and all parties are aware of this, is there any reason why the scheme would not permit this scenario? Would the company be entitled to refuse the scheme to the employee, and, for example, tell him to avail of the scheme with his future employer instead?

If his final payroll will cover the entire price then no, they shouldn't really refuse him but it is at their discretion if they have a system in place they could say that it isn't plausible to accomodate his situation, depends on the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev23f

Thanks Cramcycle - so you believe there is nothing in the Cycle To Work Scheme which mandates that the employee remain in the scheme for at least x period of time? Take a slightly different scenario - If the employee had no future employer "lined up" for example, is this not effectively out of line with the intent and spirit of the scheme? (ie cycling to work). Is that sufficient grounds to refuse the scheme?

I think the company will process this by the way, i would just like to ensure any potential issues are covered. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

kev23f wrote: »
    Thanks Cramcycle - so you believe there is nothing in the Cycle To Work Scheme which mandates that the employee remain in the scheme for at least x period of time? Take a slightly different scenario - If the employee had no future employer "lined up" for example, is this not effectively out of line with the intent and spirit of the scheme? (ie cycling to work). Is that sufficient grounds to refuse the scheme?

Once you intend to cycle it part of the journey to work while you are employed, then you are participating in the scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    biketowork.ie is a commercial operator of the scheme. Not all employers use such a third party service, so their rules may not apply to the OP.

This is the best non-affiliated site for info: http://www.bikescheme.ie/

This site appears to be down/ gone? Or is it meant to be cyclescheme.ie?

Was looking at a Boardman bike in Halfords and was wondering if this Bikes4work voucher thing they're promoting (here) is one of those crowds looking to gouge you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

This site appears to be down/ gone? Or is it meant to be cyclescheme.ie?

Was looking at a Boardman bike in Halfords and was wondering if this Bikes4work voucher thing they're promoting (here) is one of those crowds looking to gouge you.

It was definitely working when I posted that link, but it's down for me now too.

Bikes4Work is one of the 3rd party providers, most/all of which take a ~10% cut as their fee. You'll still save a fair amount on the full sale price if using such a service is your only option, but the main purpose of said providers seem to be to mystify HR departments into farming out what is a very simple scheme to administer.

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    It was definitely working when I posted that link, but it's down for me now too.

Bikes4Work is one of the 3rd party providers, most/all of which take a ~10% cut as their fee. You'll still save a fair amount on the full sale price if using such a service is your only option, but the main purpose of said providers seem to be to mystify HR departments into farming out what is a very simple scheme to administer.

Cool, cheers. I haven't even talking about it with my employers yet tbh. Though we're small enough and they're fairly laid back so I'm sure I can sort it out with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Can I have my local shop order from Canyon..throw some extra on top for "administration" and purchase it through the scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

cassette50 wrote: »
    Can I have my local shop order from Canyon..throw some extra on top for "administration" and purchase it through the scheme?

You'd have to ask your LBS - not sure it would be worth their while butting it through their stock and accounts. They'd prefer you to buy a bike they order in bulk so they can make a better margin on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Cool, cheers. I haven't even talking about it with my employers yet tbh. Though we're small enough and they're fairly laid back so I'm sure I can sort it out with them.

I ordered off Halfords on the BTW today, wanted to use my Axa discount but you cant if you go through the One4All BTW scheme, but I told them I'd just be bringing in a cheque from work for the amount and didn't want to go though One4All so they allowed that and I got the discount :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Do you reckon that tax fraud is a good thing?

RainyDay wrote: »

Tax Fraud:eek:...I won't be going down that road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

RainyDay wrote: »

No fraud there. Bike shop supplies a bike. Charges more than their purchase price :-o

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to be clear - if the shop charges more than the normal price to facilitate the purchase of "extras" that are not allowed under the scheme, that's tax fraud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Just to be clear - if the shop charges more than the normal price to facilitate the purchase of "extras" that are not allowed under the scheme, that's tax fraud

Agreed. But I see no suggestion of that here.

OK, maybe some confusion because of the terminology used

If your LBS buys the bike to re-sell to your employer at a profit that's fine and would qualify under the BTW scheme. It's still a new bike and it's being bought from a bike retailer

So just to be clear - if they (bike shop) were for example to order the Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0 and sell it to my employer at 1500....no rules are being broken?

So just to be clear - if they (bike shop) were for example to order the Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0 and sell it to my employer at 1500....no rules are being broken?
    Correct, but it would clearly be cheaper for your employer to buy it directly from Canyon, which also avoids any warranty issues

Correct, but it would clearly be cheaper for your employer to buy it directly from Canyon, which also avoids any warranty issues

Thanks...so no tax fraud :) ...the problem is my employer will not order directly from Canyon (not on approved list of creditors) but the local bike shops are.

I was going to order the Road lite 6.0 myself outside of the scheme but it is out of stock in my size until mid May.

I'm hoping the local bike shop would order the Roadlite 7.0 as it's in stock an d I could then put it through the scheme.

It's just an idea at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Hi,

I ordered the one4all voucher for purchasing the bike. I haven't sent the cheque up to them yet. I work in a very small company that really want to do as little work as possible for getting the bike for me. The total for the bike and accessories is coming to 617€, can i just pay my employer 617€ straight off and receive the company cheque from them to send up to get the voucher, And receive the tax discount after? I don't want to go by paying month by month route, I want to pay it straight off and get the discount back.

How does my company/ myself claim for the discount after?

As i said it's a very small company that have never done or even heard of the scheme, I get paid every two weeks.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

My LBS offered me the option to purchase the bike at X€ more than the retail price and take the extra money in vouchers/credit to be used in the shop. Didn't take them up on it though.

And receive the tax discount after? I don't want to go by paying month by month route, I want to pay it straight off and get the discount back.

How does my company/ myself claim for the discount after?

The scheme doesn't really work like that. You (well your company) pay fullprice for the bike.

This valus is deducted from your salary, either all at once or bit by bit over 12 months.

The savings are not discounts. What happens is because it is deducted off your gross salary, you pay less income tax, PRSI etc. i.e. so while it looks like 617 is missing from your wages, you are actually paying less tax. If you bought the bike from your net wages, you would have had to have paid income tax etc. on a greater amount to get the 617euro, to pay for the bike yourself.

Your employer in turn pays less Employer PRSI.

As for the one4all voucher, technically, your employer should be paying the bike shop directly, i.e you should never have the cash in your hands but sometimes with small companies this is impractical. Your employer should also receive an invoice and receipt for the bicycle and the accessories as a one4all voucher isn't covered, but if you furnish them with the receipt/invoice, it should be all rosy.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    The scheme doesn't really work like that. You (well your company) pay fullprice for the bike.

This valus is deducted from your salary, either all at once or bit by bit over 12 months.

The savings are not discounts. What happens is because it is deducted off your gross salary, you pay less income tax, PRSI etc. i.e. so while it looks like 617 is missing from your wages, you are actually paying less tax. If you bought the bike from your net wages, you would have had to have paid income tax etc. on a greater amount to get the 617euro, to pay for the bike yourself.

Your employer in turn pays less Employer PRSI.

As for the one4all voucher, technically, your employer should be paying the bike shop directly, i.e you should never have the cash in your hands but sometimes with small companies this is impractical. Your employer should also receive an invoice and receipt for the bicycle and the accessories as a one4all voucher isn't covered, but if you furnish them with the receipt/invoice, it should be all rosy.

So basically the employer paying for the bike in the first place is a must. However they can pretty much take it out of your gross pay straight away after that if you and your employer want?

Advertisement