Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

It's been a year since I ditched the car and bought a bike on the bike to work scheme. It's well worth doing and sure the bike has easily paid for itself now.
    Take it easy if you haven't cycled in years, I found cycling in traffic a bit daunting at first but you quickly get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Anyone have any experience of going through wiggle.co.uk with this scheme?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I don't, but what's the question? - you can use whoever your employer is happy with. The identity of the retailer is nothing to do with the scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Anyone have any experience of going through wiggle.co.uk with this scheme?

Yes - no problem. They are also registered for Irish VAT making your employer's bookwork much simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mikeyshragh

Hi. I was thinking of getting a bike through the cycle to work scheme. My boss says he does it. But I'm not sure how it works or how much I pay weekly. I know it depends on the price of the bike. Let's say if the bike cost €350.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi Mikeyshragh, you might get a better response if you post this in the Cycling Forum :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Moved to the Cycling Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Hi,

The amount you can spend is 1000euro. Depending on what rate of tax you pay it could cost you as little as 485euro approx.

You go to bike shop, get a quote/invoice give it to your accounts dept and they will issue chq to bike shop. It really is worth your while spending the full amount. Look at it this way-If you buy a bike for 500 you pay 250ish if you get a bike for 1000 you pay 500ish. 250 over a year is 5euro a week for a much,much better bike..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

not yet wrote: »
    Hi,

The amount you can spend is 1000euro. Depending on what rate of tax you pay it could cost you as little as 485euro approx.

You go to bike shop, get a quote/invoice give it to your accounts dept and they will issue chq to bike shop. It really is worth your while spending the full amount. Look at it this way-If you buy a bike for 500 you pay 250ish if you get a bike for 1000 you pay 500ish. 250 over a year is 5euro a week for a much,much better bike..
    plus you can only do it once every 5 years, I've heard so many people saying they wish they'd got a better bike when they had the chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Merged in two new cycle 2 work threads in case anyone is confused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Hi, this has been probably asked a million times but I'm looking for some advice on which bike to get and where.

I've just found out my job do the BTW scheme. I was gonna get a used bike but reckon I'll get more for my cash on the BTW.

I'm gonna get a road bike. I've only had hybrids up till now and not many at that so I'm sort of a novice when it comes to choosing one.

I'll be using it for work sometimes, prob an hours cycle and leisure cycles, hopefully decent distances.

I'm 5'10" and from what I've seen I'm looking for a 56cm bike.

I don't mind spending a little over the €1000 limit.

Much appreciate any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Bassboxxx, i hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread as i was just about to post one myself regarding the BTW scheme.

I too am looking for a bike on the scheme and willing to spend up to or just over the €1000

Currently looking at a 2014 Giant rapid 1 or 2 as the bike will only be used on-roads.

Anyone recommend anything different for the price, all i am looking for is a fast lightweight bike.

Thanks,
    B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There are countless bikes available for your budget. If you live bear Dublin go to CycleSuperStore or EuroCycles and see what they have and what you like the look of. For your height I think a 54cm frame would be nearer your size although in the likes of Cube bikes you'd be looking at a 56.

No problem Belfunk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Threads merged into the mega thread

Threads merged into the mega thread

My post wasn't anything to do with the workings of the BTW scheme so I'm unsure why you merged it.

I was looking for bike advice which is against this treads rules.

Anyway I've got it sorted so no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eoghan111

Can my employer get a refund on the BTW before I take ownership of the bike? the reason I ask is that since applying for the scheme I have found far better deals in other shops. I hastily applied in a store and have changed my mind.

Is it correct that once my employer has paid the shop then I am locked into it?

eoghan111 wrote: »
    Is it correct that once my employer has paid the shop then I am locked into it?

Depends on the shop, its the equivalent of asking a shop owner for a refund even if there is nothing wrong with the product, you can ask but there is no obligation AFAIK although there maybe a cooling off period? Maybe a question to ask on consumer issues?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Technically the employer buys the bike then sells it to you. It depends entirely on what contractual arrangements have been entered into as to where the buck stops on the purchase. The shop has certainly sold a bike and can, if they agree, issue a refund, but are under no obligation to do so. I'm guessing (but certainly don't know) that the employer did not buy the bike without an agreement in place to sell it to you - if that's the case the buck (bike!) stops with you. A bit of goodwill from all involved and it may be possible to reverse everything, but none of the parties can be forced to do so

Thanks. From reading up on consumer rights, My company (or me) should have a cooling off period of 7 days after I receive the goods. Well that is how I am reading it from this link

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_different_ways_of_buying_e/consumer_buying_by_internet_mail_order_or_phone_e/consumer_cancelling_a_distance_sale_order_e/how_long_is_the_distance_sale_cooling_off_period_when_you_buy_goods.htm

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Surely if the actual bike wasn't in stock when the order was placed distance selling regulations (with a cooling off period) come into it..... I'd have a chat to the shop and offer them a chance to match the price of the other shop first.

I have tried to speak to the shop and they insist they will offer zero discount on BTW scheme bikes. Seems ridiculous seen as my employer pays directly into their account and as a result there are no additional costs for them. Their customer service for BTW leaves a lot to be desired!

Are you sure your employer is dealing with the shop directly, and not through one of the 3rd party agents? They charge the shop a 10% "handling" fee, thus removing the shop's ability to give you a discount or free stuff and still turn a profit.

Yep, Its the department of education. They pay directly into the shops bank account. Wheelworx told me that regardless of this they wont offer any discounts on BTW orders. I have spoken to other shops about it and they don't understand it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

It would appear from this link that the Dept of Education uses Bike To Work Ltd., which is a 3rd party provider, so TychoCaine's post above is correct.

http://teachers.biketowork.ie/

Sorry Doctor Bob maybe you need to read that link again. That is just biketowork.ie trying to drum up business. It actually states they are not the sole provider for the department of education

"Please note that Bike To Work Ltd are not the sole supplier for the Dept of Education. You are free to deal directly with any supplier listed on the OPW approved suppliers list"

Wheelworx seem to be particularly stingy when it comes to cycle to work. Traditionally bike shops build a little extra into their sticker prices so they have room to discount if customers ask. Clubs will also have good discounts negotiated with affiliated shops. Wheelworx seem to be taking advantage of naive customers new to bikes & bike shops, who don't realise that the 52% tax savings don't cost the shop anything.

Any bike shop I talked to prior to buying mine was willing to either give a flat discount or throw in free accessories. This wasn't down to good negotiation on my part. It's just how they do business and create happy repeat customers. In the end I bought a bike from FitzCycles in Stillorgan that was already discounted by €500 in a sale with an extra €100 in accessories.

TychoCaine wrote: »
    It's just how they do business and create happy repeat customers. In the end I bought a bike from FitzCycles in Stillorgan that was already discounted by €500 in a sale with an extra €100 in accessories.

Excellent service from them whenever I have been in and really customer service orientated, highly recommended, nice mix of bikes for all types from the cargo bike to the hardcore racer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Three weeks from picking the bike and getting an invoice to collecting my new Defy. Not bad considering the number of steps involved in the Civil Service scheme. Getting on well with the staff in Personnel probably speeded things up.

Advertisement