Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    1000 and I could get accessories from the left over credit?
    certain things can be got. I guess anything else would be fraud.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/what-constitutes-pay/items-not-treated-as-pay/provision-of-bicycles-for-directors-and-employees.aspx
    Qualifying bicycles and safety equipment
    The following bicycles and equipment can qualify for this scheme:

pedal bicycles and tricycles
    pedelecs (electrically assisted bicycle that requires some effort to propel)
    cycle helmets covered under European standard EN 1078
    bells and bulb horns
    lights, including dynamo packs
    mirrors and mudguards
    cycle clips and dress guards
    panniers, luggage carriers and straps
    locks and chains
    pumps and puncture repair kits
    reflective clothing and bicycle reflectors
    other safety equipment.
    The following items are not allowed:

mopeds or scooters
    second-hand bicycles or equipment
    bicycle parts or associated equipment.

I think it is stupid that you cannot buy tyres, tubes, drivetrain stuff -chains, cassettes etc. All of which will likely be needed in the 5 years.

I see it has bicycles plural listed, has anybody got 2 bikes? (and I don't mean scamming it getting a kids bike) It's likely enough one would be stolen in 5 years, but also if you got 2 you could have a spare handy if you 100% rely on it for your commute.and your first was broken. Also 2 bikes means less wear on the consumable parts.

I imagine the ban on parts is to stop lads buying a 1K wheel for racing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect the plural is there in the 'all bicycles qualify under the scheme' sense, rather than stipulating that multiple bicycles can be bought.

it's possible that they don't list things like chains, etc., as they would be seen as operational rather than capital costs; as in the government is not going to 'indemnify' a cyclist against the running cost of a bike.

also ;

mod note - no more talk please of buying credit on the scheme, this would clearly be fraud as i understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

site_owner wrote: »
    Real items need to be listed but there is no enforcement of what you buy, so shop might put a few hundred worth of generic accessories that you can "exchange" for other stuff later

The problem with this approach is that you've no negotiating power once you have credit in your hand. The shop knows that you have to spend it with them, so you'll find it hard to get any kind of good deal or discount. You'd be better off sorting out exactly what you need by way of accessories BEFORE you finalise your deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Does anyone know how strictly they enforce the work part of cycle to work?

I want to use the scheme, I drive at the moment. I'm not fit enough to cycle all the way into work. I'm 130kg (way too fat) and it's an 18km cycle.

It would be nice to have a bike to cycle to the train station and then to work. I know this is generally frowned upon but my work day doesn't really align with regular rush hour traffic. That would be about 5km. I want to use it in my spare time as well, gradually build up the fitness and lose weight so I can cycle all the way into work.

Realistically though, I'm not going to be using it all the time (I'll still drive a lot) and most of the usage will be private.

Thoughts? Or if I can't use bike to work, what would be my best option? Haven't a clue about bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

There is zero enforcement or proof required. You are free to use the bike how you like after you buy it.

• Advertisement

There is zero enforcement or proof required. You are free to use the bike how you like after you buy it.

Yeah, I was just looking at the standardised e-form that my employer has for it. I do genuinely want to use it for commuting, I just didn't know how much of an option it was.

I know of somebody who was hung by their balls from revenue for buying a "work" laptop that was used mostly for gaming.

I'll pop into my local bike shop today and see what the craic is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you do intend to use it to start cycling to work and get fit, so it's fulfilling its brief in that sense.
    there's no limitation in using the bike for other personal use; in this way, it's different from registering a motor vehicle as a commercial and using it for private use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    The guy in the shop seemed to think I could get store credit to make the purchase price up to 1000 and I could get accessories from the left over credit.

Is he right or do I need to specify the exact items on the original quote I’ll be giving to my employer?

I went into a certain store that is super and they told me if i bought a bike for less than 1000 i could use the remainder as credit.

The lad seemed to be pushing me towards using the full whack when i had explicitly stated that i only wanted a bike. I have most of the gear already. Seemed a bit pushy. I took my business elsewhere. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

troyzer wrote: »
    It would be nice to have a bike to cycle to the train station and then to work.
    The wording of the scheme on citizensinformation.ie says “This means the whole or part (for example between home and train station) of a journey between your home and your normal place of work.”, so you’re good. Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I went into a certain store that is super and they told me if i bought a bike for less than 1000 i could use the remainder as credit.

The lad seemed to be pushing me towards using the full whack when i had explicitly stated that i only wanted a bike. I have most of the gear already. Seemed a bit pushy. I took my business elsewhere. :cool:

Same except I stayed with them. I was happy to bring it up to 1000, any credit is half price effectively.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It is the intended use of the bike that matters. If you intend to use it mainly for heading to the railway station to catch a train to work that's fine

Just to add in light of some of the comments above - you may think it minor, but if you use the "balance" to buy something else, or even by something for the scheme at a later date, that is tax fraud (you must spend the whole amount within or up to €1,000 in one go). Bike shops have nothing to do with the scheme and have no responsibility under the scheme. It's up to the employer and employee to ensure the scheme is used within the rules laid out. It is against the rules of this site to discuss how to do anything illegal which includes tax fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Does anyone know how strictly they enforce the work part of cycle to work?

I want to use the scheme, I drive at the moment. I'm not fit enough to cycle all the way into work. I'm 130kg (way too fat) and it's an 18km cycle.

It would be nice to have a bike to cycle to the train station and then to work. I know this is generally frowned upon but my work day doesn't really align with regular rush hour traffic. That would be about 5km. I want to use it in my spare time as well, gradually build up the fitness and lose weight so I can cycle all the way into work.

Realistically though, I'm not going to be using it all the time (I'll still drive a lot) and most of the usage will be private.

Thoughts? Or if I can't use bike to work, what would be my best option? Haven't a clue about bikes.

Not enforced whatsoever. You can get a bike under the scheme and leave it in the shed for 10 years if you like.

You’ll be able to do 18km on the bike handy enough, as long as it’s not all uphill.
    You don’t have to spend the full €1000 on a bike, you can get accessories also up to a total max spend of €1000.

TheShow wrote: »
    Not enforced whatsoever. You can get a bike under the scheme and leave it in the shed for 10 years if you like.

You’ll be able to do 18km on the bike handy enough, as long as it’s not all uphill.
    You don’t have to spend the full €1000 on a bike, you can get accessories also up to a total max spend of €1000.
    Despite there being a prescribed list, you can essentially get whatever accessories you want as it’s not audited/monitored.

I hope to be able to do 18km eventually. It's a ten minute cycle to the canal and my office is right on the canal at the other end so it's ideally really. Just don't have the fitness at the moment.

That's 18km each way. A 40km round trip on a bike is a big commute for somebody who has never even cycled on the road. Haven't used a bike since I was a kid.

It's mostly flat the whole way.

Thanks for the advice lads.

Got it all sorted yesterday, ready to pick up in a few weeks. The lad recommended a Zektor 2 and seeing as how I don't know my arse from my elbow, I went with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Enjoy it mate, as I said you'll be out on long spins in no time.

TheShow wrote: »
    Enjoy it mate, as I said you'll be out on long spins in no time.

That's what the lad in the shop said. Novices make much more rapid progress than they anticipate initially apparentely.

I'm not very confident though.

Put it this way, I've never owned a bike that had gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

That's what the lad in the shop said. Novices make much more rapid progress than they anticipate initially apparentely.

Just take your time. You missed a lovely summer for cycling to work. You'll get used to it in no time though, the wind is a bit strong, but once you get a bit of stamina you won't mind it. You'll pick it up in no time.

Persevere and you wont look back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 dx1200

Good luck Troyzer. Stay safe and be confident with regards to positioning on the road. Take it handy and you'll be flying in no time.

I think this is the best time to buy a bike. Its hard in worsening weather but the rewards are MASSIVE, the fun, the improved health etc. etc.

You never forget how to cycle a bike ;) and if once you've done it in the winter months the summer months are like a massive hit of... cake...

Enjoy.

dx1200 wrote: »

Good luck Troyzer. Stay safe and be confident with regards to positioning on the road. Take it handy and you'll be flying in no time.

I think this is the best time to buy a bike. Its hard in worsening weather but the rewards are MASSIVE, the fun, the improved health etc. etc.

You never forget how to cycle a bike ;) and if once you've done it in the winter months the summer months are like a massive hit of... cake...

Enjoy.

Thanks for the encouragement. After chatting to my boss I've actually gone back to the shop and decided to ditch the hybrid for a full on, drop handle road bike.

I can always get an entry level mountain bike later.

The guy in the shop gave me the option between a Domane Al2 and a Domane Al4.

The AL4 is supposed to have better gears and is smoother but if I go for the AL2 I can get all of the kit without reaching into my own pocket up front.

I'm a bit torn to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭C3PO

Thanks for the encouragement. After chatting to my boss I've actually gone back to the shop and decided to ditch the hybrid for a full on, drop handle road bike.

The AL4 is supposed to have better gears and is smoother but if I go for the AL2 I can get all of the kit without reaching into my own pocket up front.

I would go for the AL4 - 8 speed Claris v's 10 speed Tiagra! Buy cheap gear until you can afford to upgrade if need's be!

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »

I would go for the AL4 - 8 speed Claris v's 10 speed Tiagra! Buy cheap gear until you can afford to upgrade if need's be!

It's a lot more money for not a lot more bike.

The lad in the shop came to €200 in the crucial accessories after a good lock, USB lights, mud guards, breakdown kits etc. all came together. If I get the AL2 I'm getting all of that plus a decent set of cycling kit.

If I go for the AL4 it'll be at least €200 of my own money to go the same way.

I'm willing to do it if it's absolutely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭timbel

The lad in the shop came to €200 in the crucial accessories after a good lock, USB lights, mud guards, breakdown kits etc. all came together. If I get the AL2 I'm getting all of that plus a decent set of cycling kit.

Would go for the better spec bike. You will end up wanting an upgrade on the bike very quickly when you get fitter and more into the cycling.

Check out online shops to save a few bob on accessories (e.g wiggle, chainreaction, etc). Usually quick and free delivery too.

timbel wrote: »

Would go for the better spec bike. You will end up wanting an upgrade on the bike very quickly when you get fitter and more into the cycling.

Check out online shops to save a few bob on accessories (e.g wiggle, chainreaction, etc). Usually quick and free delivery too.

Yeah, I might do that. Especially since I have time before the payment is processed.

Something else I'm worried about is my weight. I'm roughly 125kg at the moment which combined with the bike technically goes over the weight limit. Obviously I'm planning on shedding the weight quickly with an aggressive diet and keeping up my gym programme but I'm not sure if I should be looking at a bike that the manufacturer says I'm too heavy for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 dx1200

Wouldn’t sweat being a thorn. You wanna get something that fits right and is comfortable.

I’ve an AL3 from 2017.

Domane is a very comfortable bike with good components for the money. I’d highly recommend. You could easily be knocking out a two way commute in a few months or even less depending on your commitment.

Ask him to put some decent winter tyres on. Keep your chain clean and get the saddle and handle bars to correct height.

Bike shops people are generally sound and will have no problems getting you right.

Honestly you will be doing that commute both ways in no time on a Domane.

No Im not working for Trek :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Something else I'm worried about is my weight. I'm roughly 125kg at the moment which combined with the bike technically goes over the weight limit. Obviously I'm planning on shedding the weight quickly with an aggressive diet and keeping up my gym programme but I'm not sure if I should be looking at a bike that the manufacturer says I'm too heavy for.

You're only slightly over the max weight limit. The frame will take any weight, but the wheels are the weak point in any bike with a heavy rider, particularly the more expensive ones. Lower end bikes tend to come with pretty heavy but sturdy wheels so you should be fine. You'll be getting them trued I the bike shop every few months, but that'll be the worst of your problems.

Try swapping to slightly wider tyres if they'll fit. Thinner tyres need to be pumped to massive pressures to avoid pinch flatting when you hit a pothole. Wider ones can be run softer, meaning a much more comfortable ride. Also, buy a track pump and keep the tyres pumped to the correct pressure. You'll give yourself a stroke trying to hit 100psi+ with a mini pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Apologies if this has been asked already guys is the bike to work scheme only available when buying a bike in ireland?

I found a nice bike on evans cycles UK but from looking at their website, I can only see information on the english ride to work scheme

Is there any way I can buy a bike on evans cycles under the bike to work scheme and if so, how would I go about it?

I have just emailed them and am waiting for a reply, I thought someone on here might have experience buying a bike from the UK or somewhere else under the Irish bike to work scheme

any info greatly appreciated :)

It depends on your employer, the scheme does allow it but many employers will place restrictions on the shop they deal with. For example, my employer will only deal with bricks'n'mortar stores in the 26 counties. Some have no such restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pretty much most would use somewhere like https://www.biketowork.ie/ as they'll organise most of the process and save the employer the hassle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I bought mine through Evans before. Depends on employer. Evans are closing down in a day or two I thought?

• Advertisement

Forgot about that. Maybe the price of the bike includes the entire chain and associated debt? For the record, that does not qualify under the cycle to work scheme.

Advertisement