Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patravers

cletus wrote: »
    Be careful, I'm teaching in the KWETB, and their bike scheme runs from January to November, so if I were to get a bike now, I'd make all payments in one month

I will check it out. I’m with LOETB - I’ll ring HR Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭raheny red

Hi guys, just a bit of background info. Hoping to be getting a gaf out in Blanch soon. My route will basically be from the 12th Lock all the way along the canal onto Drumcondra, through Fairview and then the coastal cycle path. I've done it plenty of times on a poor 2nd hand bike just to familiarise myself with the route. Usually about 8 in the morning and around 10 at night. Haven't had any hassle at night but it can be quite 'spooky'. Anyone ever have any bother?

Parts of the canal are grand (prob the Fingal part) but there's a very poor stretch for a couple of KMs (DCC's land). What I'm wondering is what sort of bike should I be looking at through the Bike To Work Scheme for this very route? Or would I be best off sticking to the roads? Also, with the weather today, what sort of water proof gear should I be eyeing up? Btw, happy to splash out about a grand on the bike, gear, accessories, etc.

TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If an employer refuses to accommodate the B2W could an employee apply through a 3rd party for the scheme.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

dahat wrote: »
    If an employer refuses to accommodate the B2W could an employee apply through a 3rd party for the scheme.?

No. It has to go through your employer, and they're not required to offer it. The only requirement is that they have tooter it to everyone if they do it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

raheny red wrote: »
    Hi guys, just a bit of background info. Hoping to be getting a gaf out in Blanch soon. My route will basically be from the 12th Lock all the way along the canal onto Drumcondra, through Fairview and then the coastal cycle path. I've done it plenty of times on a poor 2nd hand bike just to familiarise myself with the route. Usually about 8 in the morning and around 10 at night. Haven't had any hassle at night but it can be quite 'spooky'. Anyone ever have any bother?

Parts of the canal are grand (prob the Fingal part) but there's a very poor stretch for a couple of KMs (DCC's land). What I'm wondering is what sort of bike should I be looking at through the Bike To Work Scheme for this very route? Or would I be best off sticking to the roads? Also, with the weather today, what sort of water proof gear should I be eyeing up? Btw, happy to splash out about a grand on the bike, gear, accessories, etc.

TIA.

Cycle this route for the last year from Blanch to Fairview and only had problems once (young lad tried to stop me and spat at me when I didn't!). It was between Drumcondra and Phisborough. But I generally cycle at 8 in morning and 6 in the evening so wouldn't be there late. Not sure I'd do that route at 10 at night. Its very isolated in parts.

Re bike I cycle a Cube hybrid - don't think I'd fancy a road bike on the surface but I do see others cycling road bikes on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭raheny red

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Cycle this route for the last year from Blanch to Fairview and only had problems once (young lad tried to stop me and spat at me when I didn't!). It was between Drumcondra and Phisborough. But I generally cycle at 8 in morning and 6 in the evening so wouldn't be there late. Not sure I'd do that route at 10 at night. Its very isolated in parts.

Re bike I cycle a Cube hybrid - don't think I'd fancy a road bike on the surface but I do see others cycling road bikes on it.

Yeah that stretch would be the worst for ASB all right. It's eerie all right, may stick to the roads for the way home, never know what you could come across at that hour.

Cheers for the reply, I'll keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MonsieurPuzzled

Hi folks,

Looking to get a new bike but I'm not up to date at all. Used to be an avid cyclist but fell out of the habit after the last theft.
    The current approved vendor for the cycle to work scheme can be found here: *by googling it cause new user limitations*

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to a particularly decent vendor or any bike suggestions for 25km per weekday?

Cheers,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Where are you based and does your company run the acheme themselves or do they have a middle man like bike to work etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Hi folks,

Looking to get a new bike but I'm not up to date at all. Used to be an avid cyclist but fell out of the habit after the last theft.
    The current approved vendor for the cycle to work scheme can be found here: *by googling it cause new user limitations*

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to a particularly decent vendor or any bike suggestions for 25km per weekday?

Cheers,

You've been on Boards for ten years and only have three posts including this one?

That's just straight up impressive.

troyzer wrote: »
    You've been on Boards for ten years and only have three posts including this one?

That's just straight up impressive.

4 now!! I can't recall why I joined originally but I'm more of a reddit user for info. But this is more localised so makes sense.

Maybe I should have led with such nonsense as "long time listener first time caller" or "lurker here blah blah etc" hehe.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Where are you based and does your company run the acheme themselves or do they have a middle man like bike to work etc.

I'm based in Dublin city and I have access through the scheme.

I'm based in Dublin city and I have access through the scheme.

How far is the cycle to work?

troyzer wrote: »
    How far is the cycle to work?

It's a 12km cycle each way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what side of the city are you?
    the reason there was a question about how your access to the scheme is managed is that there may be restrictions imposed by your employer (or whoever they have managing the system for them) in where you can buy your bike.
    some employers (mine for example) will only deal with bricks'n'mortar stores in the 26 counties. some have no restrictions, but there are occasional employers who will only deal with one bike shop. which would significantly restrict your brand choices at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I dealt with Hollingsworth Cycles in Templeogue. They were alright. No haggling mind you. It was, what it was.

what side of the city are you?
    the reason there was a question about how your access to the scheme is managed is that there may be restrictions imposed by your employer (or whoever they have managing the system for them) in where you can buy your bike.
    some employers (mine for example) will only deal with bricks'n'mortar stores in the 26 counties. some have no restrictions, but there are occasional employers who will only deal with one bike shop. which would significantly restrict your brand choices at the very least.

I'm on the north inner city.

It's through the dept. of education, so access to all the officially approved vendors are fine, jsut looking for some direction

It's through the dept. of education, so access to all the officially approved vendors are fine, jsut looking for some direction

Do you have to go through PeoplePoint? They're ****ing useless.

Go to the government list (assuming you're a direct government employee) of approved suppliers and see which ones are closest to you.

Then pop in and discuss your needs. They'll write you up an invoice which you post off to PeoplePoint after applying online (assuming you're PeoplePoint).

Then you wait.

I did this a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Find a local bike shop near your home or your work and go talk to them. You need to be walking distance at one or other end for servicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Weepsie wrote: »

You could also chat to the Spokesman who is in the IFSC on Thursdays and somewhere else nearby on other days.
    I had a poor experience with him earlier in the year. Did a biggish job on my brakes, and then refused to even look at them when they were squeaking again after two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Does anyone know from when to when does the b2w scheme runs for the hse? I mean the repayment scheme, if I am to buy a new bike this month? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

peaceboi wrote:
    Does anyone know from when to when does the b2w scheme runs for the hse? I mean the repayment scheme, if I am to buy a new bike this month? Thanks

Paid off by December is all so buying now will mean small repayments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

peaceboi wrote: »

It depends on your hospital, I work in the Mater Hospital and it comes out in one payment for monthly paid staff and for fortnightly paid staff it comes out in two payments in same month.
    Also some hospitals only allow you to apply within a certain timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

It depends on your hospital, I work in the Mater Hospital and it comes out in one payment for monthly paid staff and for fortnightly paid staff it comes out in two payments in same month.
    Also some hospitals only allow you to apply within a certain timeframe

Oh we in Connnolly hos, paid fortnightly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Looking at getting a bike on this scheme, I'm in Cork City. Any suggestions on good shops to check out?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 arachne

My question is how the 5 year thing works.
    I got a bike in early 2015 on the Bike to Work scheme, and thought I wouldn't be able to avail of it again until early 2020.

But I have just got an email saying 'Your 5th Year is Up!' and 'You're Eligible again to get another Bike'. It's from a website called taxsaverbikes dot com, but it's not totally clear to me who they are -- my last bike was bought from a small local shop.

Does anyone know if this is legit? i.e. maybe only 4 full years must pass between bike purchases on the scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

arachne wrote: »
    I got a bike in early 2015 on the Bike to Work scheme, and thought I wouldn't be able to avail of it again until early 2020.

But I have just got an email saying 'Your 5th Year is Up!' and 'You're Eligible again to get another Bike'. It's from a website called taxsaverbikes dot com, but it's not totally clear to me who they are -- my last bike was bought from a small local shop.

Does anyone know if this is legit? i.e. maybe only 4 full years must pass between bike purchases on the scheme?

Send them your bank account details and your pin number to log into your online account. It all sounds legit. :D

I dunno, sounds a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rootsman

arachne wrote: »

You can purchase again from Jan 1st in your 5th year.From 2020 it will be reduced to 3 years.Passed by the Seanad in January but needs to be enacted which will happen most likely in the Autumn 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

rootsman wrote: »
    You can purchase again from Jan 1st in your 5th year.From 2020 it will be reduced to 3 years.Passed by the Seanad in January but needs to be enacted which will happen most likely in the Autumn 2019.

Yes, it's based on tax years, not annually from your purchase date.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If I purchase in 2015, then that is year one, so it is as follows;
    2015 - Year 1
    2016 - Year 2
    2017 - Year 3
    2018 - Year 4
    2019 - Year 5
    2020 - Year 1 again if I purchase again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

rootsman wrote: »

Do you have a link for this? Would be interested to read it at source!

Advertisement