Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Quick question regarding the scheme:

I’m currently on it and have been for a few months. I am switching jobs and my new employer has agreed to pay off the remaining balance. I presume this is possible? And is just paid up to my current employer?

Thanks.

The scheme is operated between you and your employer, it does not transfer between employments. If you leave, they can ask for the remainder to be taken in a lump sum from your last paycheque which is the norm ( I have heard of tsome just forgettign about it but I imagne this is rare). If your new employer is offering to pay it off, then they would simply be handing you a bonus to make up for the loss of wages from your last paycheque.

If you have a balance of 500euro left, lets say 6 months of payments. Your current employer will simply take 500euro from your last paycheque, s your take home pay will be 500 - tax etc. less. If your new employer wants to make this upto you, they would add 500euro onto the gross of your first paycheque, basically a bonus.

Personally, I would be cautious that your new employer is not basically running the scheme again for you in their eyes, so you can't use it with them for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Surely you can’t run it with them anyway for 5 years? As in, the 5 year limit is not per-employer, it’s per-person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

MJohnston wrote: »
    Surely you can’t run it with them anyway for 5 years? As in, the 5 year limit is not per-employer, it’s per-person

That's a bit of a grey area the wording of the scheme could be read either way.

MJohnston wrote: »
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That's a bit of a grey area the wording of the scheme could be read either way.

Indeed, it reads as per employment to me, I have used it more than once in a 5 year period when I switched jobs. Happy to pay it back if revenue tell me I am wrong. Others read it as per person, which the way the system is implemented, with the employer holding the records and not revenue, is untenable to police in its current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oh interesting. I always read it as per-person! It's been more than 5 years for me anyway, but my wife needs an e-Bike and only just used hers with another employer about 1-2 years ago, so this will be very welcome news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Revenue states you can only use the “scheme” once every 5 years so I think it’s pretty clear what the intention is regardless of switching employer.

In saying that, I do think it should be reduced to every 2 years as some people commute a lot on their bikes but then I guess the hard-core eco warriors would probably complain of the extra materials being used on new bikes due to the increased demand for new bikes. I think I heard somewhere before the UK scheme is every 1 or 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Idioteque wrote: »
    Revenue states you can only use the “scheme” once every 5 years so I think it’s pretty clear what the intention is regardless of switching employer.

In saying that, I do think it should be reduced to every 2 years as some people commute a lot on their bikes but then I guess the hard-core eco warriors would probably complain of the extra materials being used on new bikes due to the increased demand for new bikes. I think I heard somewhere before the UK scheme is every 1 or 2 years
    There should certainly be some exemption for those who've had a bike stolen (though I know it would be very hard to police this).

It's interesting to contrast the subsidy available for electric vehicles of thousands of euro, and the negligible support for cyclists - no subsidy for eBikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'm currently in the process of moving jobs, and I'll be trying to go for an e-bike despite only having my current bike for just over a year. my distance will be going from 5km to 12km and I'd rather have the assistance of a e-bike for that extra bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of route? and do you have showers in work?

what sort of route? and do you have showers in work?

First 6km is road, last 6km is pathway. Mostly flat. If there are showers in my new place, then I probably wont bother, but hate arriving in sweaty as it can take a while to cool down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

12km is very doable, though, electric or normal bike.

Yeah went for a test run, I could go a shorter route but it's hilly and has the added bonus of not having any cycle lane/dealing with motor traffic the whole way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There should certainly be some exemption for those who've had a bike stolen (though I know it would be very hard to police this).

No, there shouldn't. Insure your bike and should it get stolen, you'll get the retail price back.
    It's interesting to contrast the subsidy available for electric vehicles of thousands of euro, and the negligible support for cyclists - no subsidy for eBikes.

Indeed, there should be an additional allowance for an e-bikes.

grogi wrote: »
    No, there shouldn't. Insure your bike and should it get stolen, you'll get the retail price back.
    It's an interesting idea, but bike insurance is very expensive for non home owners who don't have the option to add it to their home insurance - about 10% of the cost of the bike per annum.
    506587.JPG

So over a five year BTW period, you'll have paid half the retail cost of the bike on insurance, which doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Just a heads-up for anyone in education using this scheme to purchase from Halfords.
    Halfords use One for All for the scheme, so when you apply the Department gives OFA the go ahead who issue a debit card to the required amount in your name. However, due to GDPR the Department will not pass on your address or contact details to them, so the card will sit in their office until you ring OFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I thought I read something bout it being shortened but revenue website still 5 years it says but it's not updated in a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

i think they're planning on shortening it but don't think anything actually happened yet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How often can I use the scheme?
    Once every five years. This applies even if the cost of the bicycle and safety equipment was less than €1,000.

The tax year in which the bicycle is provided counts as the first year. For example, if you used the scheme during any month in 2014, you can use the scheme again from 1 January 2019.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/taxation-of-employer-benefits/cycle-to-work-scheme.aspx

mod note - no advising on how to commit tax fraud, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

There's a post on the first page saying that if you are public sector, they only use an approved list of retailers, but the link seems to have expired. Is that still the case i.e. does the public sector allow you to use online retailers like Canyon?

They use one4all, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Rezident wrote: »
    There's a post on the first page saying that if you are public sector, they only use an approved list of retailers, but the link seems to have expired. Is that still the case i.e. does the public sector allow you to use online retailers like Canyon?

I'm not sure about the public sector stance but I doubt canyon accept one4all vouchers and they don't accept part payments.

• Advertisement

Rezident wrote: »

You'd need to be more specific. The public sector is a big place, and different rules apply in different organisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

I'm going to buy a road bike once bike shops reopen & my company has a window for the BTW scheme. I posted a thread for recommendations & Tony04 replied with 2 nice articles for recommendations.

I'd like to buy in a bricks & motar store for help with sizing etc. So what stores in Ireland have the best selection, are there one or two that jump out? I'm in Galway but willing to travel.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭what_traffic

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm going to buy a road bike once bike shops reopen & my company has a window for the BTW scheme. I posted a thread for recommendations & Tony04 replied with 2 nice articles for recommendations.

I'd like to buy in a bricks & motar store for help with sizing etc. So what stores in Ireland have the best selection, are there one or two that jump out? I'm in Galway but willing to travel.
    Cheers,
    Pa.
    If your employer uses a broker like travelhub.ie - might be best to know this first in helping narrowing down what is available for you.

best to go local if you can, as most shops will throw in a free service a month or two after you buy, and it's easier in case of warranty issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I wonder will they ever look to being the scheme down from 5 years to 3 at some stage?

based on what though?
    i think it'd be more helpful for them to look at VAT bands on bikes and bike kit. less regressive, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭dahat

based on what though?
    i think it'd be more helpful for them to look at VAT bands on bikes and bike kit. less regressive, too.

Not sure really, maybe wishful thinking more than anything. It was mentioned at some point recently as a recommendation from a committee at some level.

based on what though?
    It may be reressive but I can't see a better way to implement such a simple scheme without making it less simple and therefore less effective. I worked wth someone who did not benefit from the scheme at all (financially). They did benefit from the ability to pay interest free over 12 months though. it may be regressive but as schemes go, it is one of the few I cannot find a fault with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Pa.

It really depends on how budget conscious you are. If you dot mind a paying that bit extra for convenience go to your nearest store. Galway is a big town so most bike brands should be available there so you could find the best value bike online and go to the store that stocks it. Otherwise if you want the best value for money go online, you can find/get all the advice you need online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Tony04 wrote: »
    It really depends on how budget conscious you are. If you dot mind a paying that bit extra for convenience go to your nearest store. Galway is a big town so most bike brands should be available there so you could find the best value bike online and go to the store that stocks it. Otherwise if you want the best value for money go online, you can find/get all the advice you need online.

ATM I'm thinking about the €1k mark. Will end up a bit more maybe as will need clip shoes as well.
    I'll compare prices online to local & outside of Galway & if there's not a big differnece will go local.

Advertisement