Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

dinneenp wrote: »
    ATM I'm thinking about the €1k mark. Will end up a bit more maybe as will need clip shoes as well.
    I'll compare prices online to local & outside of Galway & if there's not a big differnece will go local.

At that price I would say local giant contend further specialized allez online canyon endurace. Last being the best value for money.

Buying pedals and shoes online might be cheaper aswell although you can negotiate with lbs.

Be careful not all online stores will do b2w scheme, canyon definitely do though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd go local, the convenience and trouble saving, as well as supporting a local business.
    Tony04 wrote: »
    Be careful not all online stores will do b2w scheme, canyon definitely do though.

Depends on what you mean by the B2W scheme, if you mean the overall thing, any shop that takes money does the scheme. The contract as such is between the employer and the employee, the shop should in theory just see it as another purchase. If you mean those stupid middle men companies then as far as I know, Canyon don't do it here, they do through the UK scheme but not ours (very different schemes). This said they are an approved supplier for some civil service area, so if you work in a place that buys direct rather than through a middle man you can buy from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭cletus

Some shops won't deal with certain "middle men" the hassle is too great, and the cut they take is too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It may have been answered already and I know there's been doubt about Ribble but my question.

Does the company you purchase from have to be registered for VAT in Ireland? I don't think there's a requirement but someone may know otherwise. I've sent Ribble a mail to see if they know more.

I'm looking at picking up a Ribble CGR AL I've looked at other options and nothing seems to compare when it comes to value or the particular spec I want. Ideally shimano GRX,650b I've looked at canyon and purchased from them before but they grail I was looking at has Sram (i could live with that) but only 650b on s/xs frames (I don't want 700c)

I could use our UK branch and scheme if needs be but would rather avoid the faff.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It may have been answered already and I know there's been doubt about Ribble but my question.

Does the company you purchase from have to be registered for VAT in Ireland? I don't think there's a requirement but someone may know otherwise. I've sent Ribble a mail to see if they know more.

I'm looking at picking up a Ribble CGR AL I've looked at other options and nothing seems to compare when it comes to value or the particular spec I want. Ideally shimano GRX,650b I've looked at canyon and purchased from them before but they grail I was looking at has Sram (i could live with that) but only 650b on s/xs frames (I don't want 700c)

I could use our UK branch and scheme if needs be but would rather avoid the faff.

Basically the only requirement is that your company have to buy it for you, so if they are happy to buy from Ribble that is it. There is no need for them to be registered for VAT here. Basically your company buy the bike from them and hand it to you and take that amount away from your wages within a year.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Basically the only requirement is that your company have to buy it for you, so if they are happy to buy from Ribble that is it. There is no need for them to be registered for VAT here. Basically your company buy the bike from them and hand it to you and take that amount away from your wages within a year.

Thanks that's what I was thinking but just wanted to be sure before putting the plan in motion. Cool new bike day soon so. :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cletus wrote: »
    Some shops won't deal with certain "middle men" the hassle is too great, and the cut they take is too much
    Some employers (such as mine :() will only deal with the middle men which means that there's no room for price negotiation with LBS or ability for the LBS to throw in a few freebies.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by the B2W scheme, if you mean the overall thing, any shop that takes money does the scheme. The contract as such is between the employer and the employee, the shop should in theory just see it as another purchase. If you mean those stupid middle men companies then as far as I know, Canyon don't do it here, they do through the UK scheme but not ours (very different schemes). This said they are an approved supplier for some civil service area, so if you work in a place that buys direct rather than through a middle man you can buy from them.

So the list here is only relevant to civil servants?

So the list here is only relevant to civil servants?

Pretty much, and even then, only if the localised grouping operates that. Under the scheme, any bike can be bought from any bike shop in the world, but every employer is allowed put their own restrictions on it. Any civil servant could get a non listed shop to fill out the form and submit to become an approved supplier. They even have a list of whiich ones operate through a middle man scheme and which ones don't eg Canyon do not as seen here: https://ogp.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/23_05_2018_Bicycle-Suppliers.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭dinneenp

At that price I would say local giant contend further specialized allez online canyon endurace. Last being the best value for money.

Buying pedals and shoes online might be cheaper aswell although you can negotiate with lbs.

Did some research after reading this and the Canyon sounds great- best value, more comfortable ride that the Specialized etc.
    However, my companies scheme is through Travelhub & they don't include Canyon.
    hhhhhmmmmm

• Advertisement

Did some research after reading this and the Canyon sounds great- best value, more comfortable ride that the Specialized etc.
    However, my companies scheme is through Travelhub & they don't include Canyon.
    hhhhhmmmmm

If your company uses a middle man you're bunched so. Is it a big company? Perhaps ask the finance dept if they'll do a direct payment for you it's no more hard work and could be done in a matter of minutes. It's when 100's of people ask for the same it becomes an issue.

My place sends out a generic email about the bike to work and some voucher scheme they came across at a trade show but there are no ties to them and I've gone direct when I used the scheme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in my company, the limitation is that they will only deal with bricks'n'mortar stores within the country (as in 26 counties).

Sent an email to HR, will see what they say.
    Seems that most listed shops in my scheme don't stock Specialized either...
    My wife works for the HSE, maybe she's interested in getting a Canyon road bike through the scheme..

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I would not buy cycling shoes online either.
    I bought peddles and shoes out of a bike shop recently.
    I would have saved €20 buying online. However, the shop changed the peddles for me for my old ones and made sure the shoes were the right size. I take a 10, the shoes I needed were an eleven. Therefore, for the sake of €20, I got a shoe fitting service and got my peddles changed free of charge. Plus I gave a local shop some business.
    Buying clothes/shoes online is a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

I applied for a quote availing of the bike to work scheme, the retailer refused stating that the demand for bikes has increased and the suppliers are running out of bikes, causing bikes to be out of stock upon receipt of BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

katie275 wrote: »
    I applied for a quote availing of the bike to work scheme, the retailer refused stating that the demand for bikes has increased and the suppliers are running out of bikes, causing bikes to be out of stock upon receipt of BTW

Try penny farthing in Camden street

Seems that most listed shops in my scheme don't stock Specialized either...

Thats because specialized only sell in there own store in city west in Dublin.
    Travelhub dont list them, your best bet is just haggling your companies hr/accounting to buy direct.

Thats because specialized only sell in there own store in city west in Dublin.
    Travelhub dont list them, your best bet is just haggling your companies hr/accounting to buy direct.

Cheers, I was wondering what was going on. Especially as many of the shops were listed as having Specialized bikes.

I'm going to go local first, some stock Giant etc. The Giant Contend 2 has 105 derailleurs, same as the Allez. Would I be wrong in saying that the difference between the 2 (and possibly the Canyon) aren't that big, that they're all decent bikes?

Cheers, I was wondering what was going on. Especially as many of the shops were listed as having Specialized bikes.

I'm going to go local first, some stock Giant etc. The Giant Contend 2 has 105 derailleurs, same as the Allez. Would I be wrong in saying that the difference between the 2 (and possibly the Canyon) aren't that big, that they're all decent bikes?

Yeh they're all decent bikes. Imo the allez might be more worth while as the frameset might just be that bit better more worth while upgrading. If you want to dip your foot in to racing or even more challenging sportifs after this is over the canyon might be worth getting as its significantly lighter which will make it marginally better. Anyway the biggest gain is going to be had from going to any old heavy bike to any of those you mentioned. Another bike you might look at is the merida scultura 400. If you want to go up a tier to 1500-2500 range the giant tcr is one of the best value bikes out there but again differences are only marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

I recieved a one4all voucher to the bike2Work scheme, narrowed it down to a few bikes, - only ever used bricks and morter stores before, never purchased online. Stupid question, does the bike come fully or partly assembled, or like a lego kit :) I was planning on ordering from theEdge in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It should come fully assembled and ready to go.
    Phone the bike shop to be 100% sure what way they're currently delivering (but I would honestly doubt that they will let you put it together yourself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

I am also looking at Ribble.
    Have you found out what needs to be done without a 3rd party involved?

Icepick wrote: »
    I am also looking at Ribble.
    Have you found out what needs to be done without a 3rd party involved?

Seems to be just a matter of finance dept paying for it. I'll know for sure come the end of the month as I'll be putting the order through. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

I'm a high rate tax payer, I want to purchase a bike through the BTW scheme, the bike company sent me a quote based on the standard tax rate, which I then sent to my employer. Company said the relief will be fixed when my employer applies for me, is this right? I don't really know how the scheme works, thanks a mill!

katie275 wrote: »
    I'm a high rate tax payer, I want to purchase a bike through the BTW scheme, the bike company sent me a quote based on the standard tax rate, which I then sent to my employer. Company said the relief will be fixed when my employer applies for me, is this right? I don't really know how the scheme works, thanks a mill!

The bike company has nothing to do with your tax affairs that will be dealt with by your payroll. The invoice they gave you will be for the price of the bike there may be an approximation of savings based on tax bracket but that's irrelevant.

What iwillhtfu said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Seems to be just a matter of finance dept paying for it. I'll know for sure come the end of the month as I'll be putting the order through. :D
    Any problem because the invoice is from the UK?

None, my 2nd BTW was from a UK company, it is no different than them buying any company supplies from the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

As long as your company is willing to deal with a UK supplier, no.

• Advertisement

First world problem but it's not easy...
    - Local store don't have Giant Contend SL 1 & won't for rest of the year.
    - checked Canyon website & Endurace AL 7.0 is out of stock
    - will check for Specialized Allez Elite next

HSE West link-

"This service is temporarily suspended until further notice due to the coronavirus outbreak."

This scheme will close on October 9th 2020. All monies to be recouped by the last paydate in November 2020.

Advertisement