Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Tony04 wrote: »
    Compared to the bikes you previous mentioned I think the canyon or specialized are that bit better, unless your getting a good deal from your lbs. The canyon will give you the best performance for your buck. The specialized has probably a slightly better frameset than the canyon but has slightly cheaper parts, notably brakes and crankset, if your willing to upgrade parts on your bike in the future the specialized might be slightly better for that.

My company use Travelhub/middleman so the shop loses 10%. I tried to haggle price with a local shop but they said as they lose 10% they won't give me any discount.

I doubt I'll be upgrading parts so atm Canyon is no 1 choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭fat bloke

They are accepting applications from 8th June 2020

https://www.education.ie/en/Education-Staff/Services/Payroll-Financial/Cycle-to-Work/Cycle-to-Work-Scheme.html

I'm hoping to return to teaching in September (my business failed due to the crisis).

Anyway, as a teacher, how does the scheme work? Do you pay up front in shop and then get a tax credit with department? I have never bought on the bike-to-work scheme.

Thanks.

I'm a teacher and I used my btw scheme in February. The turnaround was impressively quick. Was only a couple of weeks. I was braced for much longer. Now, there's bound to be a backlog built up, as well as a bit of an avalance of new applicants given that Ireland as a nation is looking at The Bicycle with fresh eyes. Bikes are the new Nespresso. :).

Basically I got the invoice with spec and price from the shop, as well as their bank details, attached that to the form, sent it off. When the bike shop received the payment they rang me and I went down and picked it up. Easy peasy. Payment for me is like 50 quid before tax every fortnight (until September I think), so I hardly notice it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

dinneenp wrote: »
    My company use Travelhub/middleman so the shop loses 10%. I tried to haggle price with a local shop but they said as they lose 10% they won't give me any discount.

I doubt I'll be upgrading parts so atm Canyon is no 1 choice.

Imo just bite the bullet and go for the canyon, as the brakes are better than the specialized and is a bit lighter so it'll give you the best riding experience for your budget.
    Also imo do get the best out of a bike like that it is worth upgrading the wheelset some point down the line if you get into cycling, for the best possible experience from that bike, definitely not immediately though.

The HSE scheme doesnt use the 10% middleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Hi Folks,

I got the bike to work scheme last july through work. Total off €1000 on the receipt.

I was under the impression it would cost me around 500 give or take but I have had 750 in deductions so far.

Is this a mistake by my employer or am I missing something?

Thanks, realise its silly but lady who works in accounts is not approachable :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you on the lower or higher tax bracket?
    the way the BTW scheme works means that unfortunately, if you're in the lower tax bracket, you save less. you save the equivalent of your rate of tax off the €1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭cletus

Hi Folks,

I got the bike to work scheme last july through work. Total off €1000 on the receipt.

I was under the impression it would cost me around 500 give or take but I have had 750 in deductions so far.

Is this a mistake by my employer or am I missing something?

Thanks, realise its silly but lady who works in accounts is not approachable :rolleyes:

How are you calculating the costs so far. The amount deducted on your payslip will be pre tax, so if you're just adding that up, you won't see the savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Tony04 wrote: »
    Imo just bite the bullet and go for the canyon, as the brakes are better than the specialized and is a bit lighter so it'll give you the best riding experience for your budget.
    Also imo do get the best out of a bike like that it is worth upgrading the wheelset some point down the line if you get into cycling, for the best possible experience from that bike, definitely not immediately though.

The HSE scheme doesnt use the 10% middleman.

Right, so I decided on the Canyon. Now I can rest my mind, right? No.
    Shop has a Merida, race team edition or something like that. I'm trying it out Monday morning.
    I'm not 100% sure of full specs, but it's full 105, carbon seatpost, Continental tyres. Shop owner said it's worth about 1,600 but offering for 1,250.

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

If I don't like it will order the Canyon next week.

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike/88/reacto-400 Looks like last years model merida reacto, imo might be nice for trying out triathlons etc. Otherwise theres not much need for that aero frameset which compared to bikes like the canyon results in a slightly heavier bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

dinneenp wrote: »
    Right, so I decided on the Canyon. Now I can rest my mind, right? No.

I think at this point you could probably do with your own thread never mind the bike. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That Merida is hard on the eyes. You won' be picking up any admiring glances aboard that on a ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mar92

Hi guys, new here! Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a way to cancel a bike to work if it hasn’t yet been processed? I ordered a bike through one store and originally they told me it was out of stock and it would take about 1-2 weeks before it was in stock again. That was 6 weeks ago, I called again today and they said it will be another 6 weeks! I understand that a lot of bikes are out of stock but I wish they had told me that weeks ago instead of getting my hopes up :(
    I’ve found the same bike in another bike shop and I’m keen to order it, but wondering will the bike to work scheme allow me to cancel and reorder. I’ve tried to do it online and it mentions the 5 year rule. Has this happened to anyone else?
    Mar :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Mar92 wrote: »
    Hi guys, new here! Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a way to cancel a bike to work if it hasn’t yet been processed? I ordered a bike through one store and originally they told me it was out of stock and it would take about 1-2 weeks before it was in stock again. That was 6 weeks ago, I called again today and they said it will be another 6 weeks! I understand that a lot of bikes are out of stock but I wish they had told me that weeks ago instead of getting my hopes up :(
    I’ve found the same bike in another bike shop and I’m keen to order it, but wondering will the bike to work scheme allow me to cancel and reorder. I’ve tried to do it online and it mentions the 5 year rule. Has this happened to anyone else?
    Mar :)

I don't see why you can't. Has your company paid to the bike shop already? if yes, then ask the shop to return the money. Once its returned, ask your employer to pay to the other shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chiefpleb

Does anyone know if you change retailer once the cert has been printed ?

chiefpleb wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you change retailer once the cert has been printed ?

I don't see why you couldn't it's just a transaction it isn't specifically tied to a shop afaik. Contact whoever provides the voucher and ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Would like people's opinion on the upcoming RadWagon 4?

https://radpowerbikes.eu/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike?variant=32262934790237

Previous model had fully functioning throttle and I think 750w motor so not a pedelec per BTW rules, and possibly not even road legal in Ireland.

This upcoming model has been de-rated for the EU market to 250w and it only has a walking-speed throttle, so it looks to me like it satisfies the definition of a pedelec, but would appreciate more knowledgeable views than mine on this?

conor_mc wrote: »
    Would like people's opinion on the upcoming RadWagon 4?

https://radpowerbikes.eu/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike?variant=32262934790237

Previous model had fully functioning throttle and I think 750w motor so not a pedelec per BTW rules, and possibly not even road legal in Ireland.

This upcoming model has been de-rated for the EU market to 250w and it only has a walking-speed throttle, so it looks to me like it satisfies the definition of a pedelec, but would appreciate more knowledgeable views than mine on this?

From reading the below it seems as though it should qualify no issue once it is classed as pedal assist. In reality they aren't going to check the bike you buy so makes no odds really.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/cycling/cycle_to_work_scheme.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it only has a walking-speed throttle, so it looks to me like it satisfies the definition of a pedelec
    what does a walking speed throttle mean? that it'll reach walking speed without pedalling?
    if so, it's legally classed as an MPV (it's capable of moving under its own steam), and as such buying one under the BTW scheme would be tax fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭conor_mc

what does a walking speed throttle mean? that it'll reach walking speed without pedalling?
    if so, it's legally classed as an MPV (it's capable of moving under its own steam), and as such buying one under the BTW scheme would be tax fraud.

Walking speed up to 6 km/h, I think it's intended just to assist with pushing a heavily loaded bike up a hill.

Think I read somewhere on boards that it's pretty common on many Bosch-powered e-bikes - not sure if that's true though?

Walking speed up to 6 km/h, I think it's intended just to assist with pushing a heavily loaded bike up a hill.

Think I read somewhere on boards that it's pretty common on many Bosch-powered e-bikes - not sure if that's true though?

A lot of the newer mountain ebikes come with this feature it saves you having to push 30kg or whatever it weighs up a hill. I doubt it would work if you were sitting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Guys does anyone know if there are plans to expand the btw scheme like raising the cap or removing altogether like in the UK to encourage less abled go for ebikes.

By right I'd say hold of unless there's improvements in infrastructure before encouraging a more bikes on the road, but selfish me is looking for new toy(s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

does anyone know if you can buy a childs bike along with your own on the scheme or is it just additional equipment you can purchase

Yeh if the sub total is under 1000

does anyone know if you can buy a childs bike along with your own on the scheme or is it just additional equipment you can purchase

No that would be tax fraud ;)

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    No that would be tax fraud ;)

genuinely is it? I'm not going ahead if that is the case but I saw you can buy additional equipment so was not sure if it was a case of bike/bikes up to the value of €1000.

genuinely is it? I'm not going ahead if that is the case but I saw you can buy additional equipment so was not sure if it was a case of bike/bikes up to the value of €1000.

Well to be fair think about it, is your child cyling to work? You can get safety equipment and mud guards lights etc. probably go as far as cycling clothing. There's specifics as to what you can get but they do not include a second bike for your child or parts of a bike it has to be one complete bike to cycle to work on. Obviously that last bit is a grey area and most will not be doing it with their bikes.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72899113&postcount=2

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72899173&postcount=3

thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It is tax evasion.

But nothing stops you from being stupid and massively overpaying for your bicycle while striking a fantastic deal for display model for your kid for 1euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

SNIP

It use to be €5k limit I think and people were getting ride on lawn mowers out of it and selling them on for profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I got my bike and two kids bikes for the cycle to work scheme value so it can be done. Nobody gives a sh*t really.

It use to be €5k limit I think and people were getting ride on lawn mowers out of it and selling them on for profit.

I bought my bike approximately 6 weeks ago. When I was collecting it, there was a guy buying his teenage son a bike and asked if he could get a second bike as his sons bike was only 500 quid. The guy working in the shop said it can’t be done anymore. They used to be able to do it, but the rules around it have tightened up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I got my bike and two kids bikes for the cycle to work scheme value so it can be done. Nobody gives a sh*t really.

I bought my bike approximately 6 weeks ago. When I was collecting it, there was a guy buying his teenage son a bike and asked if he could get a second bike as his sons bike was only 500 quid. The guy working in the shop said it can’t be done anymore. They used to be able to do it, but the rules around it have tightened up

Advertisement