Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with this calf?

• 08-09-2011 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭

Was born with some form of dwarfism. I've heard that factories won't kill them because the meat is dark. Is this true?
    Shis is only picking at meal, still the same size as a month-six week old, even though she was born in late march/early april. (Haven't got cards so can't check)

DSC_1770.jpg

DSC_1768.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

She'd be ideal for a pet farm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Could be a bvd pi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

pakalasa wrote: »
    She'd be ideal for a pet farm ;)

Have to say I agree..
    She'll be of no commercial value to you at any stage and will only consume ration that another commercially viable animal would.

As above..
    Ring round some pet farms and see if anyone is interested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

adne wrote: »
    Could be a bvd pi

Definitely not, when she was born she didn't stand up by herself for 2 days and had to be hand fed every 2-3 hours with only a small amount of milk. The cow was born & reared on the farm and has never moved so no chance of a carrier infection from her. Thanks for the mini heart attack there though!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Karen112 wrote: »
    Definitely not, when she was born she didn't stand up by herself for 2 days and had to be hand fed every 2-3 hours with only a small amount of milk. The cow was born & reared on the farm and has never moved so no chance of a carrier infection from her. Thanks for the mini heart attack there though!:p
    But if the cow was exposed at the right stage of pregnancy to another animal with BVD then the calf would be born a PI despite her mother never having left the farm or even that field:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

get someone else to sell it for ya at the mart :)

5live wrote: »
    But if the cow was exposed at the right stage of pregnancy to another animal with BVD then the calf would be born a PI despite her mother never having left the farm or even that field:mad:

I know, but looking at the symptoms etc she doesn't have it. There has never been a case that I have heard of around us too. The way her limbs are stunted also point to a case of dwarfism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I know, but looking at the symptoms etc she doesn't have it. There has never been a case that I have heard of around us too. The way her limbs are stunted also point to a case of dwarfism.
    The first indication of infection with BVD that we had was a calf just like her:o. Off a kerry cow cross, we put it down to a bit of dexter coming out in the breeding. Boy were we wrong on that. Just be careful with her is all i am saying karen112. The rest look good cattle though so hopefully they will compensate for any loss she will bring:)

5live wrote: »
    The first indication of infection with BVD that we had was a calf just like her:o. Off a kerry cow cross, we put it down to a bit of dexter coming out in the breeding. Boy were we wrong on that. Just be careful with her is all i am saying karen112. The rest look good cattle though so hopefully they will compensate for any loss she will bring:)

Oh I know, thankfully she hasn't shown any other signs of ill thrive bad the height. When we had the vet out last month he took a look at her and said that it was just a case of a dwarf animal. Could be a defiiciency in the cow during pregnancy, although we keep a mineral lick with them outside the barrier during winter. Anyway, I just want to know what to do with the little bugger, I can't show her next to the rest or my rep will be gone forever!:p
    My father suggested a 'buy one, get one free option......':D
    She'd be ideal for a pet farm wink.gif

I must try that actually, I have to admit I have a soft spot for her since I seen her saunter under electric fencing into the good grass.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭limo_100

just leave her there you be surprised what shed do as a 3year old heifer and if she came into a decent size someone will take her off ur hands. on an other note we had a calf like that this year we put it down being premature but bvd seems more likely now that uses say it. how do ya test for it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

but bvd seems more likely now that uses say it. how do ya test for it???[/QUOTE]

ear tag notch.

contact Enfer
    http://www.enferscientific.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manjou

If not bvd and just dwarfism then let her run round until she is fit to kill and put her in freez er. When you count up how much beef you get could be best paying animal in batch so no point throwing her away in mart.

Causes
    The precise cause of this congenital dwarfism is not known. Genetic causes have been eliminated, as have viral infections of the dam during pregnancy. While BVD virus of the dam may cause congenital stunting of the calf, it does not cause joint laxity or rotation of limbs.

From;
    http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming-Preventing-dwarfism-in-cattle-12158.html

manjou wrote: »
    If not bvd and just dwarfism then let her run round until she is fit to kill and put her in freez er. When you count up how much beef you get could be best paying animal in batch so no point throwing her away in mart.

That was the initial plan until I was told by a butcher that they can have dark meat that isn't the same as 'normal' cattle. I don't know if this is true or not but I'd certainly prefer to find out before wintering her!

Pakalasa, her joints are indeed skew-ways. She has to run like a horse cantering as her knees work weirdly.

Karen,

Did you feed second cut silage to the cows last winter?
    I remember reading in 'da comic', and it's mentioned in that article too, that silage made from very leafy grass, like aftergrass can cause dwarfism. They advise feeding high roughage like straw with the silage to prevent it.

Karen,

Did you feed second cut silage to the cows last winter?
    I remember reading in 'da comic', and it's mentioned in that article too, that silage made from very leafy grass, like aftergrass can cause dwarfism. They advise feeding high roughage like straw with the silage to prevent it.

Nope, first cut! Same as every other year. Even had less stock then the previous two years. I dunno........anyone want to buy a lawnmower? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Nope, first cut! Same as every other year. Even had less stock then the previous two years. I dunno........anyone want to buy a lawnmower? :D

are you going to sell the red and white one in the background?

are you going to sell the red and white one in the background?

Jaysus this heifer is getting famous!:D
    I don't know yet, I'll be sure to let ye know if I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Could be a bvd pi

Definitely could be a BVD Pi. The reason that 90-odd per cent of herds have evidence of infection is because it you can't tell an animal's status by looking at it, it can come across a fence or it can come home from the mart on your wellies.

Having said that it looks and sounds like those crooked dwarf calves that are born from time to time. Some of them ate connected to an all-silage diet with no hay meal or minerals in early pregnancy. And some have no obvious cause. I think they either do well or linger on, and yours seems to be lingering.

I would not pass that calf to a pet farm or any farm without a BVD test. She has cost way too much already for the size of her!

LostCovey

LostCovey wrote: »
    Definitely could be a BVD Pi. The reason that 90-odd per cent of herds have evidence of infection is because it you can't tell an animal's status by looking at it, it can come across a fence or it can come home from the mart on your wellies.

Having said that it looks and sounds like those crooked dwarf calves that are born from time to time. Some of them ate connected to an all-silage diet with no hay meal or minerals in early pregnancy. And some have no obvious cause. I think they either do well or linger on, and yours seems to be lingering.

I would not pass that calf to a pet farm or any farm without a BVD test. She has cost way too much already for the size of her!

LostCovey

I will definitely do a BVD test on her but I just have one of those feelings that she simply has congenital dwarfism. She hasn't cost me too much, in all fairness. Just growvite to keep her mineral levels up to scratch as she was a poor grazer to begin with. Only thing she really cost me was sleep!:o I understand what you mean about cross contamination from neighbouring farms, but as far as I can recall, we had no problem with neighbours cattle. Then again, any amount of wildlife can carry it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

If you find that she hasn't bvd and decide to feed her for freezer, talk to Francis Heery in Bawnboy. A relative of mine had a similar calf last year and he spoke to Frances who assured him that the meat would be suitable for the freezer. He'll be getting the chop soon :D He has a slaughter house there and is one of the best butchers around. He packs the meat and all so you have no work to do. He knows cattle very well and has seen every type of animal come through his doors over the years. His number is in the book!

reilig wrote: »
    If you find that she hasn't bvd and decide to feed her for freezer, talk to Francis Heery in Bawnboy. A relative of mine had a similar calf last year and he spoke to Frances who assured him that the meat would be suitable for the freezer. He'll be getting the chop soon :D He has a slaughter house there and is one of the best butchers around. He packs the meat and all so you have no work to do. He knows cattle very well and has seen every type of animal come through his doors over the years. His number is in the book!

Thanks Reilig! But at this stage I don't know if I could slaughter her, she's like a mascot round the place.......may see if someone would take her private for the freezer, cannot imagine eating poor Lucky. (Yes, I named her. Bad move, also, bad name:p)

Thanks Reilig! But at this stage I don't know if I could slaughter her, she's like a mascot round the place.......may see if someone would take her private for the freezer, cannot imagine eating poor Lucky. (Yes, I named her. Bad move, also, bad name:p)

We had several "lucky" the lambs when we were young and he always grew up and and went off with the rest of the flock.

Freezer was always full of lamb too. I wonder if it was a coincidence :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

As a young vet round here said recently, There are people who'll claim bvd is the cause of everything dodgey from dwarfism to contracted tendons to hogs mouth.

We had several "lucky" the lambs when we were young and he always grew up and and went off with the rest of the flock.

Freezer was always full of lamb too. I wonder if it was a coincidence :D

Aye, "Is he going to be a bull Daddy?" rings in my ears......
    My dad did suggest the lorry if she was looking like she'd amount to nothing, but I could never allow an animal that still had a future onto a lorry. Maybe I'm just a softy, but when I bring them into the world (via AI selection) I feel a need/want to care for them as long as I have them.
    (Laugh all ye want, I have a love for my cattle)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Aye, "Is he going to be a bull Daddy?" rings in my ears......
    My dad did suggest the lorry if she was looking like she'd amount to nothing, but I could never allow an animal that still had a future onto a lorry. Maybe I'm just a softy, but when I bring them into the world (via AI selection) I feel a need/want to care for them as long as I have them.
    (Laugh all ye want, I have a love for my cattle)

All our cousins pups and kittens went to our "lovely farm in the west", but coincidentally they were always out hunting or playing if they came to visit.

LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

if i were bvd every calf in the place would be scoured ...we had 3 P.I's this yr and couldn understand why every thing was sick and not triving but no animals bought in or cows away from farm.....some people reckon the vet is the biggest carrier !!!

roosky wrote: »
    if i were bvd every calf in the place would be scoured ...we had 3 P.I's this yr and couldn understand why every thing was sick and not triving but no animals bought in or cows away from farm.....some people reckon the vet is the biggest carrier !!!

It can be, I've seen vets washing in our yard, saying ther was no tap in the other.....
    As all can see (also in the livestock photos) everything is thriving. This yoke, on the other hand, is doing nout. Nothing w/ vet that's for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Don't really know what to tell ya but what breeding is that red and white heifer behind you?

• Advertisement

roosky wrote: »

I wouldn't totaly agree with that. Our suckler discussion group has visited farms that have found PI's with the enfer test. But the whole herd showed no major outbreak of scour or calf deaths before the PI's were found nor did the farm health show any visible improvment when the PI's were removed.

On our farm, we have about a 50% reduction in calf scours since we started to vaccinate for BVD. However, as far as I can see, BVD has different levels of reaction on different farms.

...However, as far as I can see, BVD has different levels of reaction on different farms.
    I think it depends on when the disease is introduced and what level of exposure / immunity is there already. If it hits during the first 3 months of pregnancy to a tight calving spread herd, with no previous exposure, that's when the most damage is done.

mjcom4d wrote: »
    Don't really know what to tell ya but what breeding is that red and white heifer behind you?

Dam is by Navarin off a br fresianX Ch. The sire is SFL.
    Better picture of her here

I'll definitely test her for BVD with the ear notch, pity that she ruins the field of calves. But no matter, a calf alive is better then the lorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Dam is by Navarin off a br fresianX Ch. The sire is SFL.
    Better picture of her here

I'll definitely test her for BVD with the ear notch, pity that she ruins the field of calves. But no matter, a calf alive is better then the lorry.

she has nice color, would you keep her and breed her again maybe, she doesnt look over muscled so she might make a lovely cow maybe?

she has nice color, would you keep her and breed her again maybe, she doesnt look over muscled so she might make a lovely cow maybe?

I don't know now, it'll be October before she is debated here. She is eating nuts though so that'll hinder her milk production. She does have lovely colouring and is quiet as well. I'm sure if I decided to sell her that I'd have some customers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

I had 15of them short calves the year I got married.onlt 3yrs bsck but will never forget as I needed money.blamed it on not eneough roughage in diet for winter.mate had a good few too.started to try and leave cows out on oldfashioned winterage till point of calfing no problems since.mate claims it lack of vitamin d.he prolongs puting cows in and feeds mainly straw inside

• Advertisement

I had 15of them short calves the year I got married.onlt 3yrs bsck but will never forget as I needed money.blamed it on not eneough roughage in diet for winter.mate had a good few too.started to try and leave cows out on oldfashioned winterage till point of calfing no problems since.mate claims it lack of vitamin d.he prolongs puting cows in and feeds mainly straw inside

Oh ya the 1s that lived ate more than they were worth.carcus no size.look ok at 2yr olds.advice hold out and sell at 2

epfff wrote: »
    Oh ya the 1s that lived ate more than they were worth.carcus no size.look ok at 2yr olds.advice hold out and sell at 2

Thanks, seems to be the only option at the moment! Jaysus, 15 of them? Hope you've had better years since then.:confused:

Could be a bvd pi

Got her checked at the herd test, can do it in a day now apparently with some new method. No BVD. Weight off my mind!:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Could be a bvd pi

Got her checked at the herd test, can do it in a day now apparently with some new method. No BVD. Weight off my mind!:D:D:D

Good news...what the issue?

• Advertisement

Good news...what the issue?

What is the issue? Eh, even the vet didn't know :o But at least it's not BVD PI!

Advertisement