Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Improvement" of Font & Morris Roundabouts

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What about the 'narrowing' of the buslane where the cyclists were suppoed to co - exist with non existent buses and a few taxis ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    What about the 'narrowing' of the buslane where the cyclists were suppoed to co - exist with non existent buses and a few taxis ?

How narrow will the bus lane be here do reckon Sponge Bob? Anybody got a long measuring tape and live in Corrib Park? Or have they taken the space from the footway/cyclepath?

IIRC the buslane was supposed to be shared with cyclists and was 4.2m but this was changed to 3.5m with cyclists sent up to a pavement cycle lane...this was a design change after the Bord Pleanála decision from what I remember. There will be shag all buses so that meant a 4.2m cycle lane...much of the time.

Traffic lights were mandated by an Bord Pleanála instead of roundabouts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

IIRC the buslane was supposed to be shared with cyclists and was 4.2m but this was changed to 3.5m with cyclists sent up to a pavement cycle lane...this was a design change after the Bord Pleanála decision from what I remember. There will be shag all buses so that meant a 4.2m cycle lane...much of the time.

Traffic lights were mandated by an Bord Pleanála instead of roundabouts.

I have replied to this in the SQR thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Does anyone know what happened to these? The Morris and Font roundabout were voted to go ahead in September but there is no sign of work being done there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

IIRC they're held up due to issues with land around the Font (Tuam Rd/JJ Flemmings) RAB (same issue as at the Menlo park). Apparently the council didn't check if the land they want to use isn't privately owned.

They will not contract these jobs out until the land issue is sorted, that issue alone cost them north of a million on the SQR job. If there are no diggers a digging by the end of March/early April then these two roundabouts will not be done this side of the Volvo Race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

More egg on the face of the Council and GTU, not that the responsible officials seem to mind.

However, if the complete N6 scheme is not in place by the time the VOR masses arrive, then I would suggest we are in an unplanned (and hence not properly controlled) experimental situation: how will the new signalised junctions cope with increased traffic flows, compared to any remaining roundabouts?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    More egg on the face of the Council and GTU, not that the responsible officials seem to mind.

However, if the complete N6 scheme is not in place by the time the VOR masses arrive, then I would suggest we are in an unplanned (and hence not properly controlled) experimental situation: how will the new signalised junctions cope with increased traffic flows, compared to any remaining roundabouts?

Same way as they're dealt with during the races - turn off the lights and pout traffic cops in place on all major junctions.

They will have a P&R on the Racecourse, so the VOR is a non issue traffic wise ....it is just that the new junctions make the place look slicker.

Problem is they will dig the two roundabouts + the Headford Road up in August then, as in all together or they may do one quickly ( the Ballybrit may be Part 8) and then the Tuam and Headford Roads together in around October. That will be fun.

I now doubt if the SQR will be fully done by Volvo Time ....no update from the Horses Mouth Arse on the most recent 'Official' March date either I see. :(

• Advertisement

Problem is they will dig the two roundabouts + the Headford Road up in August then, as in all together or they may do one quickly ( the Ballybrit may be Part 8) and then the Tuam and Headford Roads together in around October. That will be fun.

Please tell me you're having a laugh - that's the same logic the city council used this year - with disastrous consequences.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Please tell me you're having a laugh - that's the same logic the city council used this year - with disastrous consequences.

WAIT! They may be able to do the Headford Road before then...it is seemingly a Part 8

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=DEC297676

Tenders in by 23 Jan. Contract awarded end Jan/early Feb perhaps...3 months to do the job and completion snagging and light debugging in May/June.

Maybe just about maybe. If they get the lads who did the Briarhill job and work at night ...maybe. :) If Coffey gets it. :p

The Ballybrit Roundabout is a 2 month job but they have not tendered it out yet.

Meanwhile. The Illiterate who wrote the following works in a senior position in Galway City Council :D

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=DEC297695
    competent suppliers for the supply, installation, commissioning and maintenance of Dark Fibre connectivity between Galway City Council, City Hall, College road and connectivity to 26 traffic light signal controllers at Seamus Quirke Community Centre Signal, Seamus Quirke Aldi Signal, Seamus Quirke-Bohar le Cheile ,Seamus Quirke /Circular road, Seamus Quirke Rahoon signal, Newcastle/Bridge signal, Seamus Quirke/ Thomas Hynes signal ,Headford Road Junction ,Fr Griffin road/ Fr Griffin Ave, Fr Griffin/GTI, Cluan Mhuire ,Monivea Road ,Headford Road/ N6 Menloe, Tuam Road/N6, Ballybahn/N6 ,Briar Hill/N6, Lough Atailia/ College Road Signals ,Moneenageisha Signals ,Brothers of Charity, Renmore Road, Dublin road Signals, M Collins Road, Dawn Daries Signal, Galway Crystal, Oranmore Dublin Rd Signal, Doughiska Signal,Fr Griffin / Firestation all within Galway City.It is intended that this invitation to tender will give rise to a contract for ten calendar years. During the course of the contract, the successful tenderer will be required to supply, install, commission and maintain the service.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There's a lazy joke in there about Ballybahn and the EU/IMF Bailout along the lines of "herp derp, I knew we'd all be speaking German before the year was out" but I'll just put a nice lampshade over it.

I don't think Coffey's will be tendering Sponge Bob, it would be impractical to have their entire workforce carpool twice in one day in an original Mini.

Advertisement