Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Addictive!

• 08-09-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

So,

Last Saturday I did the cycle part(33km) of the Musgrave Triathlon(organised for charity). As I work in musgrave I met loads of people from work there all with positive comments about me talkign part and got more of the same on monday morning. Similar with family and friend, got loads of positive comments.

I actually felt soo good after it that I hopped on-line in search of another event and found a 40km/6km duathlon in Kenmare on 29th October. Which I'm seriosly considering signing up for:D.

I think what I want to do is increase distance of events slowly, but I never though 6months ago when I weighed 17st3 or 241lb that I would enjoy excersise as much as I do now.

Have I caught 'the bug'?!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Last Saturday I did the cycle part (33km) of the Musgrave Triathlon

That's the spirit. Careful though, spend too much time around triathletes and you'll wake up one day in a man bra and speedos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    ...you'll wake up one day in a man bra and speedos.

Some people might call that a good night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

I did that one last year, Only started cycling myself and hadn't even done a 40km cycle until that race never mind a 6km run.

Main thing about that race is the start. A 10km up Molls Gap on a old metal frame racer without clipless pedals.. But once your up then you get to go down... weeeeeeee...

I travelled a fair bit to do it as it was the last duathlon of the year. One thing that nearly put me off was the price 50euro and not even a T-shirt.. Love getting little stuff like that.

Nice Duathlon coming up in Mullingar and for 20euros on Oct 1st. 5km/20km/2.5km I will prob do that.. first one i'll do since being out sick for months..

whatever event ya pick. make sure ya practice getting off the bike and doing a run. get the legs used to running while in jelly mode

good luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lumen wrote: »
    That's the spirit. Careful though, spend too much time around triathletes and you'll wake up one day in a man bra and speedos.

.......and something like one of these on your arse.......

Tattoo+IM.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Just 'mapped' it ..... :eek:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/49648474

am I mad to attempt this as my second ever 'propper' cycle?
    I've been doing 40-80km a week upto now for about 10weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

Molls Gap is fine, don't worry about it. Just do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Just 'mapped' it ..... :eek:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/49648474

am I mad to attempt this as my second ever 'propper' cycle?
    I've been doing 40-80km a week upto now for about 10weeks

You have the map slightly wrong - the 1st 3km are on the N71 & not the back road that you have it mapped on. The cycle is 37km exactly. I do it ofter in around 1h20mins without ever pusing myself. Time to get in shape and push it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I did the musgrave cycle too! We had a team from SV Carrigaline. I was kinda disappointed at the way it was organised in some respects. i.e no monitoring of people leaving when their team mate came in, having to walk our bikes to the road, and no official timing either. I came in 9th on the cycle overall, no idea how our team did though, which is annoying :/

That duathlon looks very appealing! I might join you in doing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

I so have to get out there running...........sounds great :-)

Advertisement