Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I fancy a project

• 08-09-2011 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭

I'd like to spend some time over the winter putting together a second road bike as a project but dont really know where to start in terms of what 'older' stuff may be good, or worthless. So, while I'm not a mechanical numpty, can I get some assistance? I expect to have to browse local ads, junk shops, skips or whatever/wherever in order to pick up a donor bike, but any general advise on where to look would be appreciated.

More specifically:

Frames:
    Assuming only steel/alu; whats the hierarchy in terms of 531, Columbus, Reynolds etc. and how do I identify a possible good 'un from a dog? (materials-wise that is, I should be OK in regard to knowing if its straight etc.

Groupsets:
    I know the modern/current Campy and Shimano stuff reasonably well, but assume that anything I get my hands on is likely to have much older kit. Is there a resource that I can refer to? Also, is there any problems with converting a bike from down-tube shifters to integrated STI shifters ? (I'm aware that sorting the latter can prove expensive but desirable in terms of use or if trying to sell on)

Thats enough for now! Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Try your neighbour's skip:pac: I know very little about old bikes/components but if you're looking to put STi shifters the rest of your groupset with have to be compatible so the parts won't be that old. Anyway, new 'old stuff' will be expensive. Used old stuff will be worn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

this is a great site for all things vintage,frames ,groupsets,brakes,gears ,wheels etc.
    http://hilarystone.com/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

This site is an absolute goldmine.

http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpeeds_1/FREE_SITE_1/FREE_SITE_INTRODUCTION.htm

I wish I'd known about it when I was looking for an old frame last year. The 'bicycle quality' section will tell you what to look for in terms of tubing, brazing, dropouts, lugwork and basically everything you need to know in order to determine how good a bike is. Also Sheldon Browne's site is very good but doesn't have as many comparison photo's as this one.

Advertisement