Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspicious of possible rental

Options
  • 08-09-2011 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

thanks for the replies, realise I'm overreacting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

What do you mean by genuine rental?
    Is it a private landlord or via an EA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

What makes you suspicious of the person?
    You say you viewed the property before, so you met the landlord or agent at least once before and know the rental is genuine, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I have viewed the property yes, being honest I think I'm being uber paranoid in this instance, but soemthing about his manner in the last few days made me suspicious.
    I kind of realise how silly I sound now lol...

and yes, sorry, it is a landlord, not an EA.
    This way of renting is just so new to me! :)

Well for a start you could ask the guy for proof that this property is within his remit to let.
    Photo id verifying he is who he says he is.
    Ownership papers of some description mortgage/deeds showing his interest in the property.

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »
    Well for a start you could ask the guy for proof that this property is within his remit to let.
    Photo id verifying he is who he says he is.
    Ownership papers of some description mortgage/deeds showing his interest in the property.
    thanks, would it be standard to ask for this?

dearg lady wrote: »

I wouldn't say it's standard but you are a paying customer with doubts about the seller.
    Why shouldn't you ask him for proof that the service he is offering you is his to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

dearg lady wrote: »

You are within your right to ask but no, it is not standard. It may delay the rental as deeds and such are usually kept safe in a bank vault or the LL's solicitor's safe, and may take a few days to get. Checking his ID should be easy enough though. If you do not have it already, also ask for his bank details so you can do a direct debit of the rent in future months (it is normal to pay the deposit and first month's rent when meeting, but most above-the-board LL's prefer direct debit after, so they don;t need to meet you, plus it leaves a paper trail which is good for both you and him, if he is registered with the PRTB and paying his taxes).

Advertisement