Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation: Where to get tools

• 08-09-2011 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All

I am a Carpenter and my Van got broken into the other night and all my tools (well all the expensive ones) were stolen. :mad:

Any recommendations on where to get a good price on new/second hand tools?
    and if second hand, how do i ensure they are not stolen themselves?

I certainly do not want to feed these Scum who think they are entitled to take your things you work hard for.

any recommendations would be much appreciated.
    kind regards

Cormac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kingtorres9

marcos
    Don't know where to get the tools u want but here's an idea i seen the other day.
    A Carpenter like yourself had the same problem so he bought a few castor wheels and made a wooden JOBOX to store his tools, and made two skids for the back of his van. Now every night he wheels his most expensive tools into his shed. I thought it was a touch of genius.Just an idea if u are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Watch the websites, my mate recovered some of his gear this way, needless to say no money changed hands
    With regard to buying there is good value iin used gear at the moment as a lot of tradesmen are selling off tools to raise cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 o'marcos

thanks kingtorres, have looked at securing everything a bit more, especially if i have to buy all new gear.
    But live in an apartment, so not the easiest to bring up at night.

aujopimur, have been searching websites just in case, but not very hopefull of the stuff being recovered.
    Have seen a good bit of second hand on sale but cant be sure that it is not stolen.

main items that were taken that i need replaced
    Dewalt Table Saw
    Makita Chop Saw
    Hitachi Router
    Dewalt Nail Gun

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Pud27

Have you tried Metabo brand? I know a company that can supply what you need but it is Metabo
    Except the nail gun - that would be paslode

Not too sure if I can name company names :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Donedeal for 2nd hand a new tools (lots of 2nd hand Dewalt stuff for sale) and also McQuillans tools on Capel Street.

Great tool shop and not expensive either.

• Advertisement

If a seller is willing to sell to you at his home you can usually judge the kind of caricture you're buying from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Kingchip

I feel your pain, I used to take all my power tools out of the van at night and put them in the shed and the fcukers broke into the shed. I have a jobox bolted into the back of the van now.

There's a liquidators place in Tallaght selling 2nd hand tools and done deal or adverts have some good tools from time to time. Some hire shops might have tools that are left in to be fixed and never collected and they may sell them after a certain time has elapsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

paddy147 wrote: »
    Donedeal for 2nd hand a new tools (lots of 2nd hand Dewalt stuff for sale) and also McQuillans tools on Capel Street.

Great tool shop and not expensive either.

Jesus paddy have you been in there recently?
    Get a few prices from independent shops, online and major hardware chains.
    Running joke on our site was you'd need to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy anything other than a pencil from mcquillans.

Quick example - was looking for a dewalt drywall screwgun and mcquillans wanted €240 for it, wouldn't budge on price at all - called another dewalt stockist in dublin - €150 and he threw in a dewalt polo shirt to sweeten the deal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

mfceiling wrote: »
    called another dewalt stockist in dublin - €150 and he threw in a dewalt polo shirt to sweeten the deal!!

Good price, where did you get that then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Good price, where did you get that then?

Paragon Tools.....tallaght

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

the home depot, 59th/3rd ave. if anyone is thinking of a trip for christmas..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I find http://www.toolstop.co.uk/ quite good.

They're prices are good and I've bought stuff before from them. If you're vat registered you can stick in your number and the stuff you buy from the UK will be ex vat so easier on the pocket

Not sure on the postage of it tho when buying the likes of a table saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

Plenty of them in the CT forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 moondaisy

1800W ROK Bench Saw. We have looked and looked for reviews for ROK power tools on the net and found nothing! Does anyone in here have any info on the brand? It seems to be a budget brand for woodies, am i wrong? Im asking because he will be using it a lot ( on his own which is quite scary! biggrin.gif) and bieng the concerned woman i just need to know if it will be up to scratch and if it will last (and not come apart and chop off his hands) any info would be great...Thanks...

Rok tools are not great, you'd better off buying a used makita, bosch or makita etc., plenty of used tools on donedeal, adverts etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

mfceiling wrote: »
    Jesus paddy have you been in there recently?
    Get a few prices from independent shops, online and major hardware chains.
    Running joke on our site was you'd need to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy anything other than a pencil from mcquillans.

Quick example - was looking for a dewalt drywall screwgun and mcquillans wanted €240 for it, wouldn't budge on price at all - called another dewalt stockist in dublin - €150 and he threw in a dewalt polo shirt to sweeten the deal!!
    Bought a RIGID screw gun a few weeks ago $79.
    A Makita or dewald were seling for $89.
    How do McQuillans pitch their prices? If you go on-line you could get one of these for maybe $25 extra (shipping).

McQuillan's were always dear and their salesmen (if they didn't know that you were a builder) would point you to the tool with the biggest mark up. I cannot see them keeping both Capel St and Blanch open for long more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ALDI have a nail gun on sale at the moment, look at ads on gumtree ,buyandsell and dundeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP posted last September. I'd say he's sorted by now.;)

Advertisement