Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Campervan Body

• 08-09-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Recently drove an 05 Fiat Ducato with an Elnagh Clipper 15 body into a bridge and hence it's been written off. The insurance company are paying up but it's a bit shy for direct replacement with a camper of similar value.
    They'll sell the written off vehicle back to me for a small enough sum, so I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a place where I could get a replacement body. The chasis, engine, etc. are all 100%, the camper is basically missing it's roof, cost of repair is very high as internal presses, doors, etc. are all out of aline also.
    Hope someone can help me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

mpf wrote: »
    Recently drove an 05 Fiat Ducato with an Elnagh Clipper 15 body into a bridge and hence it's been written off. The insurance company are paying up but it's a bit shy for direct replacement with a camper of similar value.
    They'll sell the written off vehicle back to me for a small enough sum, so I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a place where I could get a replacement body. The chasis, engine, etc. are all 100%, the camper is basically missing it's roof, cost of repair is very high as internal presses, doors, etc. are all out of aline also.

IMHO it's more hassle than a repair , regardless of the cost .

I've been to a few of the MH factories , and the process of building the body is generally that they get a bare chassis cab , build on the floor , assemble the units and interior , with all plumbing and wiring threaded around the chassi etc...then fit the sides , then the roof .

So seeing as they use the chassis to create a structure to build off of , I don't know how they'd be able to supply a complete body .

Ask Willie Mulcrone Camper repairs , in Lattin , Tipperary for a quote , he's pretty sh1t hot at repairing stuff that others can't .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Repairing, unless done professionally, could lead to leaks and other problems into the future.

Buying back the wreck for salvage could be a worthwhile exercise, there is a lot of valuable stuff probably still intact like fridge, heater, presses, kitchen and bathroom fittings etc. etc., all sellable to the self-build market and then there is the base vehicle parts also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

mpf wrote: »
    Where was the bridge, would be easier than selling mine? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

650Ginge wrote: »
    Where was the bridge, would be easier than selling mine? :-)

like your humour
    made me smile
    keep persevering ,there are willing buyers out there
    dont give it away though(hold onto it instead)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

meercat wrote: »
    like your humour
    made me smile
    keep persevering ,there are willing buyers out there
    dont give it away though(hold onto it instead)

It has a hidden value too, for someone who wants to build a camper on a good chassis, even if they have to discard most of your body - my guess is that they would not have to go through the hassle of VRT, getting it classified etc. - it would still be an Elnagh camper per the original paperwork, no?

• Advertisement

Nope , the ID is based on the Chassis number of the Vehicle.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Nope , the ID is based on the Chassis number of the Vehicle.

But that's what I mean, "Aidan" - even if the new owner rebuilds the living area in a completely new way, the registration authorities will just take the vehicle ID as Gospel and he won't have to have it inspected and reregistered? If he bought a standard van or van chassis to build a camper he'd have all this hassle and have to pay VRT on the OMSP for the privilege.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    But that's what I mean, "Aidan" - even if the new owner rebuilds the living area in a completely new way, the registration authorities will just take the vehicle ID as Gospel and he won't have to have it inspected and reregistered? If he bought a standard van or van chassis to build a camper he'd have all this hassle and have to pay VRT on the OMSP for the privilege.

Maybe I'm mixing you up..do you mean to use the damaged one to build another one , on a new chassis?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Maybe I'm mixing you up..do you mean to use the damaged one to build another one , on a new chassis?

No - I meant use the undamaged chassis (OP says it's 100% OK) and build a new living part - and as far as the VRT and motor tax folks are concerned it remains an Elnagh (or at least it remains a fully imported, correctly classified campervan).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Have a look at Derek Walsh Motorhome repairs. if you do a google search you should be able to find them. They are in Kildimo, Co. Limerick. Best of luck. Perhaps if you pm me some pictures I may be able to offer some more advise

• Advertisement
Advertisement