Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight gain

Options
  • 08-09-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

How much weight did you gain during pregnancy and how much did you lose after?
    I am 28 weeks pregnant now, and already gained 8kg:( sounds like too much to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

i dont even know what i weighed before i got pregnant and when i went to doc to confirm pregnancy she never weighed me.

Surely once your comfortable and the baby is thriving then its all insignificant? Although i am open to being told otherwise :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I gained 2 and a half stone (16kg) and I lost the first stone in the 6 weeks after the birth the other stone took about 9 months. I lost the final half stone a couple of weeks ago.

Seriously though, don't worry about it, I went through some time wondering if trousers would ever fit me right again but my body shape is much as it was before I got pregnant now and I seem to even have a smaller waist now too.

The old adage, "9 months on, 9 months off" certainly held true for me and anyone else I know. I think though if you're aware of that to begin with that it makes it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

during my last pregnancy I put on about a stone in weight (don't know what that is in KG). My son turned out to be 8lb 4oz so that counted for over half the weight, when you take into account the increased amount of blood in your body and the placenta etc, I think I was left with about half a stone or so to lose which wasn't long coming off with breastfeeding. I couldn't tell you how long it took altogether but it wasn't that long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

I'm 24 weeks and have gained 7kg (15lbs) so far, which is way more than at this stage on my last pregnancy. I reckon though it's just going on more evenly than last time. I gained very little in the first 24 weeks last time round, but then more than made up for it in the last part. I had gained a good 3 stone by the end, but did have a lot of swelling and was surprised how much I lost in the first few weeks, but I reckon a lot of it was fluid retention. I was breast fedding and was back to my pre pregnancy weight 5 months later.

I just think that each pregnancy is different, I'm eating well and in good health so I'll not worry about the scales until this time next year. I think a very sensible approach is 9 months on 9 months off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

I gained 2 stones when i was pregnant. and lost a stone immediately after giving birth and another 6 pound in the first week at home from sweating and water loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Not sure, in today for my 34 week check, so will ask the nurse to weigh me. When I was last in the hospital at 28 weeks, I'd put on a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I gained 12 kg last time, lost 7 of that in the first 2 weeks after the birth (baby alone was over 4kg!) and slowly got rid of [most] of the rest in the following year. I was overweight to start off with and had to work pretty hard not to gain any more than that. This time I've put on about 5kg so far (I'm 30 weeks). It doesn't sound like much but like I said, I'm carrying extra weight anyway and have had constant sickness this time round so my appetite has pretty much disappeared. My doctor is happy with our progress, baby is measuring grand, my bloods have all been fine etc. It's different for everyone, doctors are usually more concerned about too little weight gain than too much, but it really depends on your metabolism and response to pregnancy (a slim and fit friend of mine lost 2 stone when pregnant and was wrecked by it). Be sensible about what you eat - don't stress too much about the quantity as long as the quality of what you are eating is good, and try and get some regular exercise. According to irishhealth.com, anything up to 14kg/30lbs is healthy, but that doesn't account for women's differing circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I am 14 weeks pregnant on my 4th and have put on 3lbs so far. On my last boy I put on 30lbs, I craved full fat coke on him though, so that accounted for a lot of it I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Just finished in hospital now and I'm 64kg which is 10st 1lb, so gain so far is 15lb with 6 weeks to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 spicykat

you all certainly make me feel much better thanks:)) because it feels like im stuck with the weight forever... although its still weird getting up one week and not being able to fit in into trousers that i got at the beginning of the pregnacy. i do have to say, i crave sweet stuff, so i guess that added to my weight gain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I put on about 7/8 kg during pregnancy and a week after the baby I was back in my pre pregnancy jeans but piled on weight after the 2nd kid so am probably heavier now then when I was 9 months pregnant.

Everyone is different some people do not put on any weight during pregnancy except the weight of the baby,others pile it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I'll make you feel better..... I managed to pile on 50lbs when I was pregnant (eek!)
    Six weeks after giving birth 25lbs had just fallen off - between fluid, actual baby etc - and now at just over 8 months after the baby was born I'm back to pre baby weight. It has been a bit of work to lose it but nothing drastic or over the top. Could have lost it a lot quicker if Id been a lot more dedicated to it but I preferred to do it slowly and not torture myself too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I don't know exactly how much I put on but it was around 17kg+. I lost 11 kg or so within the first couple of months and by 7 months with regular exercise and watching my diet i lost the final 6kg.

I'm back at work and back into my prepregnancy clothes.

I definitely believe in 9 months on/9 months off. Weight gain is natural during pregnancy but it's different for everyone. My son weighed 3kg so I had a lot of fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I lost 2 and a half stone on the last lad. . :eek: i was so sick with indigestion i couldn't really eat. . they didn't seem worried though .. he was 7lb 10ozs and my heaviest baby .. this one i haven't really put on any weight myself .. just all baby, not sure in pounds and ounces though. . once you're not loading it on and doing a bit of exercise i wouldn't worry too much. you only need an extra 200-300 calories per day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

35 weeks and I've gone from 8.5 stone to 11.5.

The first stone was kind of exciting, proof that I'm actually pregnant.

the second stone was so depressing. I exercised a lot before getting pregnant and was happy with my body, but suddenly the maternity jeans didn't fit over my thighs!

The third stone is just amazing. I'm not eating more than usual, I'm still walking places, it's just nature. And swelling. A loooot of swelling.

I'm not worried though, it'll come off eventually. I'm expecting to lose loads in the first month just from fluid in my face and feet!

ETA - midwives and doctor are all refusing to weigh me. They just eyeball me at appointments and say I look grand and healthy. I think that if you start off at a healthy weight they don't care how much you gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont own a weighing scales but I was size 12 before I got pregnant, 1st week home, I had no clothes and bought some size 16 clothes, wore them for 3 months then back to size 14 clothes and thats what I wear now. 12 months later!

I havent changed my eating habits or excercise, always went swimming twice a week.

I have wider hips now, my pelvis is further across, sew patterns I made previously need 4 inches extra now to work.

Also I was a 34B and now I'm 36D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I dont own a weighing scales but I was size 12 before I got pregnant, 1st week home, I had no clothes and bought some size 16 clothes, wore them for 3 months then back to size 14 clothes and thats what I wear now. 12 months later!

I havent changed my eating habits or excercise, always went swimming twice a week.

I have wider hips now, my pervis is further across, sew patterns I made previously need 4 inches extra now to work.

Also I was a 34B and now I'm 36D.

I also had the widening hip thing. . what i'd love to know is how do the likes of victoria beckam get back into a size flipping zero.. :eek::D bitches :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Before i was pregnant i weighed 125lbs, i went up to 146lbs during pregnancy and now, 11weeks after my son was born im back down to 130lbs. I think the aversage weight gain is suppossed to be around 20-30lbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MommygoingLoco

cbyrd wrote: »
    I also had the widening hip thing. . what i'd love to know is how do the likes of victoria beckam get back into a size flipping zero.. :eek::D bitches :D:D

It's because they all have personal Chef's, personal Trainer's, personal Dietician, personal Nutritionist, (personal Surgeon (hehe!):P), etc... They're very privileged that way, a lot of help for them. They probably also have their own huge gym at home. Ahhh... The life of the rich and famous. :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

It's because they all have personal Chef's, personal Trainer's, personal Dietician, personal Nutritionist, (personal Surgeon (hehe!):P), etc... They're very privileged that way, a lot of help for them. They probably also have their own huge gym at home. Ahhh... The life of the rich and famous. :eek: :rolleyes:

Not to mention probably about 4 or 5 nannies to mind the baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

And they get their c-section done at 8 months before all the bad stretching happens and get their mummy-tuck done at the same time... still, I wouldn't swap for the world, couldn't cope with the pressure of looking nice when you haven't slept for days, have sore nipples and spots and greasy, falling out hair!

cbyrd wrote: »

Interesting what Cat said, about having the baby out at 8 months :eek:

I saw an add on adverts for a girdle that you wear from the day of birth that's 'guaranteed' to re-align your hips!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Im thinking of getting this for after baba pops out
    http://hipslimmer.com/pages/photogallery.php

Thats the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'm over 41 weeks and have put on about 40lbs!! :eek:
    A good chunk of it is from ice cream and "normal" coke :o And the fact that I haven't been training nearly as intensly as I usually would have been...
    Ah, it'll come off eventually! :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I actually lost weight through the first 8 months but in the last month it's just piled back on. I'm 5kg above my pre pregnancy weight now. The reason, I'm guessing, is that for one thing I'm fairly bloated and for another I've been eating rings around myself for the last fortnight! Didn't have muchappetite the whole way through but I'm making up for it now!!! I'm waking up during the night starving, in fact I've just finished a ham sandwich as I'm typing this!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I put on about 3 stone with the first one, and it never came back off, in fact i put on another stone in the few years afterwards, even though I was breastfeeding.

This time with the gestational diabetes diet at 32 weeks, I'm actually 7 pounds lighter than I was at time of conception... Who knew my best bet for weight loss was another baby!

Advertisement