Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Wage Issues

Options
  • 08-09-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hello :)

Basically, I work part time (generally full time hours during the summer) for a small independent retail company but recently I've noticed that almost every week my wage slips are two or three hours less than they should be. Sometimes it's only one hour less.

I do like my job, and every week when I get my wage slip I consider asking my boss about the discrepancy, but I always feel like a whiny brat complaining about very little in the grand scheme. Only thing is those hours left out in my wages do add up, and sometimes in work I end up feeling like I'm doing extra for no reason. Over three weeks or so the hours missing could add up to a days work and it's getting more and more irritating. :confused:

Should I bring it to their attention or just sweep it under the rug; glad to have work etc. I do get on well with my boss and don't want to cause rifts for no reason.. :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If you get on well with the boss, I'd be far more inclined to bring it up. Just bring it up in a casual way and say you've noticed it happen a few times.

Be wary though, some places will dock an hours pay if you are due to start at say 2 and come in at 2.05. So make sure you're perfectly sure about it before saying anything

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hello :)

Basically, I work part time (generally full time hours during the summer) for a small independent retail company but recently I've noticed that almost every week my wage slips are two or three hours less than they should be. Sometimes it's only one hour less.

I do like my job, and every week when I get my wage slip I consider asking my boss about the discrepancy, but I always feel like a whiny brat complaining about very little in the grand scheme. Only thing is those hours left out in my wages do add up, and sometimes in work I end up feeling like I'm doing extra for no reason. Over three weeks or so the hours missing could add up to a days work and it's getting more and more irritating. :confused:

Should I bring it to their attention or just sweep it under the rug; glad to have work etc. I do get on well with my boss and don't want to cause rifts for no reason.. :(

Thanks

You are being docked pay for no reason and you are happy to take it??

Have a word with the boss, do you have your hours written down. Is there a roster? Go by a roster and get paid based on that. Its certainly not unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Breadcrusts

I wouldn't be happy to take it, only I do feel like I'm getting antsy about something small. Esp. if it's only an hour here or there.
    Thanks though, good to know I'm not getting uptight over nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Irishgalclare

Ok I guess the person you work for wouldn't mind giving the odd freebie to the customers - you know, let them pay for one item and give them another one for half price sort of thing?
    Yeah, I'd say NOT.
    So, ask yourself, why should you work the odd hour or so for nothing.........???? It's a no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Are you sure your not just getting no pay for breaks or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Breadcrusts

Good shout but no I'm pretty sure I get deducted for them too. I calculate it at the end of the week and I allow for the breaks I do take. Unless money is deducted for extra breaks that I'm not told I'm entitled to or something. I think I will politely address the issue next time it arises and see what the story is. Cheers :)

Advertisement