Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheeky Dog and a poo problem

• 08-09-2011 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi Everybody! So currently I have a slightly annoying problem with my Dog Charlie (King Charles Cavalier). Charlie is very fond of his walks in my local park. Since I'm in college and am on holidays, I have been able to take him for nice walks in the morning or evening. But lately I've begun to notice that anytime I want to leave the house, he nearly always wants me to take him out. He even knows exactly what I'm doing, when I'm putting on my jacket and my shoes. He will bark and try to get my eye contact.

For a good while, I've noticed that he does not like to poo in the garden. Anytime he actually does, he tries to cover up the deed with pebbles from the flowerbeds. I've noticed that, instead of going to the toilet in the garden, he will beg for a walk whenever I have to leave the house (I always put him out to go to the toilet before I leave). Sometimes he can be begging at an early time of the morning. But when I take him for a walk, as soon as we have walked around certain areas, he will always poo in the same places.

I don't really understand Charlie's psychology and why he does not like to poo in the garden. Even sometimes when we're out walking, I notice he'll try to poo into the bushes (out of view). With regard to the toilet, it's probably safe to say he has inhibitions. I've had him ten years (from his eight weeks as a puppy). Also I think he's always been overprotective of his garden. He barks like mad when there are cats on our shed, or pigeons on the wall. There's one cat that loves to mess with Charlie, and set him off barking.

Anyway, I would love if you could give me some advice with regard to his demands to want to poo on the road. Is there anyway I could show him that it's ok to go to the toilet in the garden. It would be a lot easier to leave my house, without feeling guilty that Charlie might be wanting a walk to relieve himself. Also, it would be great to be able to take him for walks later without this constant need to go for a walk just so that he can poo.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

I think it is far easier for him to poo outside on the road and you to pick it up with a doggie bag than have to clean the back garden of constant poos which we have to do. He obviously is a very clean dog and dog don't like soiling their beds etc so maybe he doesnt want to soil his territory. We have the opposite problem our dog won't go to the toilet on the road, only at home! I am sick running around the garden trying to pick up runny poos and searching for them to clean up. Not sure what you can do maybe bring him out immediately after a feed when you know he needs to go and stay out as long as it takes for him to get desperate to go (within reason of course) and then praise like mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

OMG I have the exact same problem with my cocker/springer (16 months).. will not poo in the garden, but once we go for a walk will go immediately. As a results constantly bringing her out for walks. Dying to hear advice given :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Had the same problem with mine, once he was house trained, he would only go on grass, this was fine until we covered the garden in gravel....
    I taught mine to go on command (busy) by saying it to him every time he pooped and then telling him he was great, and making a fuss, eventually he figured out what busy meant.
    The I started putting his lead on him, and he would get all excited thinking he was going for a walk, so I'd take him out the garden, and give the busy command. we would then proceed to stand in the garden till he went, and then the minute he did, Id make a big fuss, tell him he was great, and go for a walk!
    he got to the stage where now I send him out the garden give him the busy command and he'll go straight away.
    It is very handy as it means 90% of the time there's no pooping on walks.:D(occasionally he goes in the garden, but holds a bit in for the walk so I still always bring a bag just in case!)
    It is a time consuming way of teaching it though and your neighbours will probably think you're a lunatic for a while when you're standing out in your garden telling your dog "that was such a good busy, aren't you brilliant!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Woops It looks like I posted the same thread twice. Can a mod merge these together? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Clever dog. How to get brought on lots of walks.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

I have two dogs...

My one year old will not even go out my back garden at all and waits to pee and poo when she is out for a walk...

My 4mth old won't pee/poo when out for a walk and will only go in the back garden!

I dunno... There is obviously some method to their madness!!

Advertisement