Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marquee iPad holder.

• 08-09-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭

Bit of a weird one here but maybe someone else is as mental as me.

I'm working with a guy over on Arcade Otaku to design a marquee(idea by me and design by him) that will hold my iPad(I got an iPad 2 last week so my original iPad is spare at the moment and I'm thinking up ideas for it).

He makes marquees all the time for people and I've already ordered a new standard one for my Egret 3(his reputation is very good on AO and other sites)

Now this involves a bit more work than he would normally put into it and the price will reflect that (probably around 100 sterling).

So I'm just checking if anyone else might be interested in getting one made up?

Once the design is done it should be easy enough to adapt it to any other candy cab marquee so it will match whatever you have(this version will match up with the Egret3/Egret 2 and Atomswave candies).
    I think it wouldnt take much to tweak it for other tablets either(those cheap HP touchpads?)

Now, why would you want such a thing?

Well, that's up to you. There are so many possibilities.:
    Display artwork/videos/how to videos/moves lists and generally just look cool :cool:

You could always stick up an LCD screen as a lot of people do and that would allow you to connect it to your PC and with the right setup you can change artwork and previews as you cycle through games in MAME/Hyperspin. But thats a lot of work and usually a lot less elegant that this iPad setup will be.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm probably the only one who wants this but I thought I'd make the option available to anyone who wants it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've seen pictures of his marquee work. They look great. This sounds like a very interesting project.

Any idea yet how it's going to 'hold' the ipad? Is it a slot set to the ipad dimensions or would you be able to adjust it and put something else in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've seen pictures of his marquee work. They look great. This sounds like a very interesting project.

Any idea yet how it's going to 'hold' the ipad? Is it a slot set to the ipad dimensions or would you be able to adjust it and put something else in there?

Still in the design stage right now.
    At the moment it will slot into the marquee and will be set to the iPad dimensions.

This is just a quick idea for the design, hope he doesnt mind me posting it:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Francoberasi/e3pad.jpg

Ahh, just as I'm typing this someone just handed me a large light package from the UK, its the marquee for the Egret 3 he made for me(Pics later on). :)

First design flaw spotted.
    I forgot about the screen, I'll need to be able to touch it and the home button :o

Time for some changes :P

Ok,
    Latest design after a chat with the designer guy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Francoberasi/3dlaminatewithipad.jpg

Might be putting 2 holes for the home button, 1 on each side, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think thats BBB's system over on the hyperspin forum.

I was originally going to do something similar when my plan was to build/buy a large woody style arcade machine but changed my mind when I went for the candy. I think the candy needs something a little more elegant.

Still very cool what options they have coming up on the new version of hyperspin, plus the iPad can be used as a monitor for PC/Mac with the correct app and software so its possible to use it in this way anyway.

I think you can create a wireless monitor with the app and a small utility on the pc and Hyperspin would just see it as another monitor it could use for artwork.

Options, options :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, I wonder if this would work with a HP Touchpad???
    Nothing else to do with it!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder if this would work with a HP Touchpad???
    Nothing else to do with it!

I'm sure it would. As I said above once the design is ready and working it would only take some minor design changes to fit another tablet in there.

I'll keep this thread updated with how it's going and what the final product is like and see what you think.

Wasn't able to find anywhere selling the HP touchpad myself for the cheap price :(
    Amazon still have it at £249 and £349 sterling.

Advertisement