Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car maintenance

Options
  • 08-09-2011 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    I have recently purchased a second hand (49.000 miles) Citroen C2 VTR from a dealer at the Long Mile Road, i believe it is time to change the timing belt, so i bought the kit (70 Euros) and the mechanic apointed by the dealer is charging me 200 Euros to fit it, is this right?

I am now weary of asking any mechanic to replace the already bought new clutch kit i also bought (for when required) at the price of 202 Euros.

Is there anything else i should be aware of when changing the timing belt, or increased prices for the whole operation?

Thank you :)

Comments

Pricewise that sounds ok, I don't see much advantage in supplying parts to the mechanic, if the tensioner or belt fails after a week it's your problem and not the garage's ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i dont think you'd make a saving suppling the parts as the garage will just charge more for the labour to acheive their profit margin, part of which would normally come from the margin on the parts. It does offer the advantage of ensuring that geunine parts are used, but as said, could cause issues if the part fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tomo536

YOUR BETTER OFF BUYING THE PARTS YOURSELF,YOU GET THEM CHEAPER,AND MOST DECENT MECHANICS WONT OVERCHARGE ON THE LABOUR,DID YOU NOT ASK ABOUT TIMING BELT WHEN YOU WERE PURCHASING THE CAR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

tomo536 wrote: »
    YOUR BETTER OFF BUYING THE PARTS YOURSELF,YOU GET THEM CHEAPER,AND MOST DECENT MECHANICS WONT OVERCHARGE ON THE LABOUR,DID YOU NOT ASK ABOUT TIMING BELT WHEN YOU WERE PURCHASING THE CAR

I'd like to think that three years later he got sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

03082843_1897363-holy_thread_resurrection.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd like to think that three years later he got sorted

He was obviously shouting loud enough so the guy could hear all the way back in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement