Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooking meat pieces

Options
  • 08-09-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi can i ask a quick question

What would your suggestions be on how to best cook the following meats before adding them to sauces (curry,rogan josh.sweet and sour. etc)

Pork loin chops- either cooked whole and diced, or diced first.

Lamb pieces.

Beef pieces.

Chicken fillets- cooked whole and diced, or diced first.

Most sauces say to dice and then fry.

I end up with dry hard lumps of meat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I would dice the meat. Sear it in a very hot pan, then cook slowly in the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

shovel wrote: »
    Hi can i ask a quick question

What would your suggestions be on how to best cook the following meats before adding them to sauces (curry,rogan josh.sweet and sour. etc)

Pork loin chops- either cooked whole and diced, or diced first.

Lamb pieces.

Beef pieces.

Chicken fillets- cooked whole and diced, or diced first.

Most sauces say to dice and then fry.

I end up with dry hard lumps of meat.

With the lamb and beef, it depends what cut you are using. If you are using lamb shoulder or braising beef for instance, you will need to brown the meat first and then cook for a long time - at least 90 minutes to make it tender.

With chicken fillets, if you are cubing or slicing them first, I prefer to put them into the sauce raw and poach them in the sauce. I find they take on a good bit of flavour and stay nice and moist. Diced pork chops would benefit from the same treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

trackguy wrote: »
    With the lamb and beef, it depends what cut you are using. If you are using lamb shoulder or braising beef for instance, you will need to brown the meat first and then cook for a long time - at least 90 minutes to make it tender.With chicken fillets, if you are cubing or slicing them first, I prefer to put them into the sauce raw and poach them in the sauce. I find they take on a good bit of flavour and stay nice and moist. Diced pork chops would benefit from the same treatment.

Thanks

How would you suggest that i cook it for that long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

shovel wrote: »

Thanks

How would you suggest that i cook it for that long

Simmer it slowly in your stock/ sauce. This is perfect for stews and casseroles and some curries.

However, for something like sweet and sour or a quick stir-fry you would be better to use a relatively lean-cut of meat and frying it quickly, on a high heat.

For beef, sirloin works well and is economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

heres how its done in indian resturants......

add 4tbs oil to a medium sized pot and heat.
    add 4 bay leaves, 3 cinnamon sticks, 4 green cardamom pods. when the cardamom pods swell add 1 chopped onion, 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger and garlic paste, 1/2 a tsp salt. simmer for 5 mins, add your meat, add a cup of water, add 1tbs curry masala. bring back to the boil and then simmer with lid off.
    cook chicken for 45mins and lamb for 3 hours. after each hour cooking lamb add more water to keep the mix well moist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

i would reccommend a slow cooker........

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

Thanks for all the suggestions

Advertisement