Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with leash agression/distress

• 08-09-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Our little rescue guy Fargo, 12 months, is coming on very well. We've done lots of training and he's healthy and happy, though probably because we missed that lovely 8 - 26 week window his training is more difficult, though also more rewarding when he gets it right :D
    Anyway when we got him at 5 months he had never been on lead, so we used the same method as we did for his big sis Sindy and he great at walking on it now, or at least that is until we meet another dog. Sometimes he's fine and the walk down Dun laoghaire pier last week only resulted in two incidences. Basically he pulls, growls and snaps at other dogs. He's a short leash and a halti. I know it's probably because he's scared and can't run, he knows he's small and works on the basis attack first ask questions later.
    This week I've been throwing bits of meet on the ground with the command walk on (when there are no dogs about) the hope is if I use the command when there is a dog he'll be too busy looking for the treat to worry about the other dog.
    However I would also like to get him to a point where I can introduce him to dogs whilst on lead. Now off lead he's great, very friendly, plays away with other dogs, and his recall is coming along (thanks to lots of hot dogs :D) Does anyone have any tips for tackling the issues with him meeting dogs whilst on leash.

Comments

Advertisement