Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Hockey 2011-2012

Options
  • 08-09-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is there enough interest out there to set up a Fantasy Hockey League for the upcoming season?

I was thinking of perhaps going with a Live Online Draft, Rotisserie league?

Basically it means we all agree on a time to be online together, and pick players as in a draft situation (first pick in round one is last pick in round two etc...). The Rotisserie League is described below:
    In a Rotisserie League, fantasy teams are ranked from first to last in each of several statistical categories. Points are awarded according to these rankings, with the most points in each category going to the highest-ranked team. These points are then totaled to determine the overall standings. The team highest in the standings at the end of the season is declared the winner.

The alternative would be a Head-to-Head league:
    A standard Head-to-Head league lets you square off each week against another manager. Each stat category counts as one 'game,' with the win going to the team that finishes the week with the highest total in that category. This weekly win-loss total will be added to a cumulative season record. Teams with the best records will compete in playoffs after the regular season.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Hey, I'd be up for it!

There were a few names in the Pre-season talk thread as well you mentioned they wanted in.

I would prefer a Head to Head league however, it seems to make it more competitive!

I saw the Yahoo hockey opened the other week

StevoTG mentioned it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Head-to-head league will be great fun with just the two of us! Anyone else out there interested? You don't need to be an expert on the league or anything like that!

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Head-to-head league will be great fun with just the two of us! Anyone else out there interested? You don't need to be an expert on the league or anything like that!
    Will drop a post in the NFL and MLB threads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Throw me in :D Only found out this was an ice hockey forum a minute ago. Flames fan:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I would potentially be up for this!

Will drop a post in the NFL and MLB threads.

I'll go through the posters on this forum and send PM's to see if anyone has maybe missed this thread. 10-12 would be a decent number I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I can play if ye are looking for numbers. I played in a public rotisserie league on Yahoo a few years ago and found it nearly as much work as baseball as the games are on every day.

I agree on making it a head-to-head league like the baseball and American football boards fantasy leagues.

It wouldn't be fantasy league if I wasn't playing Coeus!
    This will be the 3rd time!

I'd favour Yahoo, I find it much easier to negotiate than ESPN.com!

It wouldn't be fantasy league if I wasn't playing Coeus!
    This will be the 3rd time!

I'd favour Yahoo, I find it much easier to negotiate than ESPN.com!
    Yes indeed, I see we have a matchup in the football later in the season and a potential final or consolation final next week in the baseball depending how things go in that over the weekend...

Back on topic for the hockey league, I agree on Yahoo. We should probably use the standard scoring cats of the public leagues aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

like malachyscott, i just found out that there was a hockey forum!

count me in, head to head would be my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Count me in! Another Flames fan here :D

Hi all,

So the names we have so far are:
    1. MrJoeSoap
    2. smackbunnybaby
    3. malachyscott
    4. Cool_CM
    5. Coeus
    6. persie11
    7. krissovo
    8. Gridlock (via PM)
    9. JONJO THE MISER (via PM)
    10. cena (via PM)

If we have serious interest from more that 12 people I'll see about setting up a custom league on Yahoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

im up for it

1. MrJoeSoap
    2. smackbunnybaby
    3. malachyscott
    4. Cool_CM
    5. Coeus
    6. persie11
    7. krissovo
    8. Gridlock (via PM)
    9. JONJO THE MISER (via PM)
    10. cena (via PM)
    11. TechnoPool
    12. COYW (via PM)

Thats 12 anyway, but if anyone else is interested let us know. I'll leave it a few days before we start talking about the live draft...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

Count me in too if there's room.

Hi all,

The league has been created with the below settings (I can change these at any stage in the coming weeks. I've set it up for 14 teams, but if we get more than that we can expand it a bit. The most important thing is that we need an even number of teams or the draft won't work. I have set the draft provisionally for next Thursday, but again that will probably change.

Can everyone try and join now by going to http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey and clicking the yellow "Join A League" button in the middle of the screen. Then once you are signed in you should see "Accept Invite" on the left hand side. I will PM everyone the password in the next hour or so, and anyone else who wishes to join in the coming days.

If anyone has any questions about the below, just ask.
    If anyone isn't sure as to how Fantasy Hockey works, just ask.
    If anyone thinks we should change any of the below, just ask.

League ID#: 39900
    League Name: Boards.ie
    Password: Sent by PM
    Custom League URL: http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/boards_ie
    Draft Type: Live Standard Draft
    Draft Time: Thu Sep 22 11:00pm BST
    Max Teams: 14
    Live Draft Pick Time: 1 Minute
    Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
    Max Moves: No maximum
    Max Trades: No maximum
    Trade Reject Time: 3
    Trade End Date: March 8, 2012
    Allow Draft Pick Trades: No
    Waiver Time: 3 days
    Waiver Type: Continual rolling list
    Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports
    Trade Review: League Votes
    Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
    Max Acquisitions per Week: 4
    Min Games Played: 3
    Weekly Deadline: Weekly on Monday
    Start Scoring on: Week 1
    Playoffs: Week 22, 23 and 24 (6 teams)
    Note: Week 24 runs 7 days from Mar 26 to Apr 1
    Playoff Reseeding: No
    Lock Eliminated Teams: Yes
    Divisions: No
    Make League Publicly Viewable: Yes
    Roster Positions: C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR

Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories:
    Goals (G),
    Assists (A),
    Plus/Minus (+/-),
    Penalty Minutes (PIM),
    Powerplay Points (PPP),
    Shorthanded Points (SHP),
    Shots on Goal (SOG)

Goaltenders Stat Categories:
    Wins (W),
    Goals Against Average (GAA),
    Save Percentage (SV%),
    Shutouts (SHO)

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I have set the draft provisionally for next Thursday, but again that will probably change.
    Hey, I just registered my team (Henry Le Cheat). Is it possible to have the draft later, after the 28th of Sept would be good for me. In other boards fantasy leagues the GMs set up Polls to find the date and time to suits the majority. It usually the best way to come to a consensus...

Coeus wrote: »
    Hey, I just registered my team (Henry Le Cheat). Is it possible to have the draft later, after the 28th of Sept would be good for me. In other boards fantasy leagues the GMs set up Polls to find the date and time to suits the majority. It usually the best way to come to a consensus...

Definitely, yeah. I wasn't intending to have it next Thursday, I just had to put a date in when I set up the league. I'll do up a poll or something for the draft once people are in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Do i start picking my players. I'm not sure what too do

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    Do i start picking my players. I'm not sure what too do

No you can just pick your team name and if you want you can start picking your rankings for the draft.

What will happen is we'll all decide on a day and time to have the draft, and we'll all go online at the same time and start picking players, one after the other. So if you are 3rd in the draft (which is randomly decided), two people get to pick a player before you. So if you have a list of the players you would like, in order of preference, keep it handy for the draft.

Out of interest, who has joined the league?

Chara's Inner Demon?
    Rusty Nails?
    Go NHL?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

I'm the bottom team. Go nhl

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

i guess i'm late to this :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

In there now, Ovie's_front_teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

I'm Rusty Nails.

Flaming A-Holes for me :D

Izy wrote: »
    i guess i'm late to this :eek:

Not at all. PM Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

thx, signed up and ready to go!

did you think off a live auction draft???
    its a lot more fun than an ordinary snake draft.

you have a 200 $ budget and bid against others for any player you pick the highest bid takes the player, but have to be carefull not to spend all your $ on two guys so you can fill your roster....

I thought it was going to follow the same format as the draft in that we pick players in a defined order.

Looking forward to this, I will edit my picks over the next few days.

• Advertisement

:-(

Advertisement