Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Hockey 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Izy wrote: »
    thx, signed up and ready to go!

did you think off a live auction draft???
    its a lot more fun than an ordinary snake draft.

you have a 200 $ budget and bid against others for any player you pick the highest bid takes the player, but have to be carefull not to spend all your $ on two guys so you can fill your roster....

I'm about to do a mock auction draft to see what I think. Whichever gets more votes from people will be picked.

I see Krissovo is there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I'm about to do a mock auction draft to see what I think. Whichever gets more votes from people will be picked.

I will see you in there ;) I think I am in the same auction as you.

krissovo wrote: »
    I will see you in there ;) I think I am in the same auction as you.

Thoughts?

I think there is quite a large scope for error in the auction draft, and that inexperienced fantasy players might not enjoy it as much as the snake draft. I'd be happy to do either but I think the standard draft is probably a safer option.

For simplicity sake... :)

MrJoeSoap Board Street Bullies
    smackbunnybaby TBDTBC
    malachyscott Golden Flames
    Cool_CM Not yet joined
    Coeus Henry Le Cheat
    persie11 Chara's Inner Demon
    krissovo Flaming A-Holes
    Gridlock Not yet joined
    JONJO THE MISER Not yet joined
    cena Go nhl
    TechnoPool Not yet joined
    COYW Ovie's_front_teeth
    StevoTG Rusty Nails
    Izy izy's penguins

It's still not too late if anyone else is looking to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Well I don't mind what way the draft is done,
    But it was a breath of fresh air with the auction one this year.

On the other side if guys don't show for the draft the CPU just bids unreal money on players...

Maybe we can have 2 leagues :D

• Advertisement

On the other side if guys don't show for the draft the CPU just bids unreal money on players...

Maybe we can have 2 leagues :D

I'm stressed enough with one draft to think about! The amount of thought and research I'm putting in this year is stupid, and it'll probably backfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I'm stressed enough with one draft to think about! The amount of thought and research I'm putting in this year is stupid, and it'll probably backfire.

Jeez, you are putting me to shame. I am planning to sit down tonight and think things through.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

On the other side if guys don't show for the draft the CPU just bids unreal money .......

I don't mind which way the draft is done but the auction would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

i'm in... already got a fantasy hockey account set up so where do i find this particular league?

i'm in... already got a fantasy hockey account set up so where do i find this particular league?

See post 18 above and I'll PM you the password. We do need one more player now to make the league even numbers, because we can't do the draft with uneven numbers.

• Advertisement

Was doing a mock draft last night but the draft window pop up would not load when the draft started. Anyone else have this? The progress bar was stuck at 90% or so. I am using Chrome btw.

COYW wrote: »
    Was doing a mock draft last night but the draft window pop up would not load last night when the draft started. Anyone else have this? The progress bar was struck at 90% or so. I am using Chrome btw.

It does the same on my work PC using firefox, my home computer (mac) works fine using firefox. It must be a setting somewhere or firewall issue but I have not bothered to have a look.

It does the same on my work PC using firefox, my home computer (mac) works fine using firefox. It must be a setting somewhere or firewall issue but I have not bothered to have a look.

Had the same problem with Firefox on the PC, switched to Chrome and it worked.

Can everyone try and at least enter a mock draft to ensure the browser they are using works? Using the "Test your system to ensure the draft application will work correctly." probably won't be enough because that worked for me but an actual mock draft did not.

Had the same problem with Firefox on the PC, switched to Chrome and it worked.

Can everyone try and at least enter a mock draft to ensure the browser they are using works? Using the "Test your system to ensure the draft application will work correctly." probably won't be enough because that worked for me but an actual mock draft did not.

Yep, the test was successful for me also, for the record. I will do some more digging tonight at home.

COYW wrote: »
    Yep, the test was successful for me also, for the record. I will do some more digging tonight at home.

Try Firefox and IE and see if you can get into a mock draft that way.

Firefox 6.0.2 did the trick.

Firefox 6.0.2 did the job. I am on Windows 7.

Had my first proper mock draft tonight, trying to get some sort of strategy together... A lot of work to do yet!

Hows everyone else's preparation going?

I have done 2 now, my first draft (12th position) would have been up there as one of the top contenders IMO. My 2nd draft (5th) just turned into a bit of a disaster and ended up with a very average team.

I may do another one later to see if my strategy just produced a one off duff team or if my strategy just sucks.It could be that my 1st draft was a bunch of amateurs and the 2nd was loaded with "pro" fantasy participants.

One issue I have I that I have not followed the NHL properly for two seasons due to a new baby, new job and other issues. Some of the players I am targeting have had their moment so maybe a bit more research would cure that.

I have done 2 now, my first draft (12th position) would have been up there as one of the top contenders IMO. My 2nd draft (5th) just turned into a bit of a disaster and ended up with a very average team.

I may do another one later to see if my strategy just produced a one off duff team or if my strategy just sucks.It could be that my 1st draft was a bunch of amateurs and the 2nd was loaded with "pro" fantasy participants.

One issue I have I that I have not followed the NHL properly for two seasons due to a new baby, new job and other issues. Some of the players I am targeting have had their moment so maybe a bit more research would cure that.

I'm the same, although I did follow last season quite closely so much has happened over the summer that it takes a while to catch back up. A few mock drafts and a bit of googling will help. I've started a new job where looking up this type of thing is encouraged, I certainly can't complain about that!

Congrats on the baby by the way. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

I didn't know we had too a pre draft now. I must really look into this

cena wrote: »
    I didn't know we had too a pre draft now. I must really look into this

Anyone can log in and do mock drafts with other people, to get a strategy as to who to pick, what positions to pick first etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone can log in and do mock drafts with other people, to get a strategy as to who to pick, what positions to pick first etc...

How many rounds is there in a mock draft. Not sure if i'm doing good. But it says i'm 8th.

cena wrote: »
    How many rounds is there in a mock draft. Not sure if i'm doing good. But it says i'm 8th.

It depends how many players there are to pick. Our league will have 17 rounds, with 12 picks in each round. If it says you're "8th" then it means you will be the 8th person to pick a player in a certain round.

I'm doin this 5 years now and it's very hard to get any sort of strategy.
    I usually pick the best player on d board for the first 6-7 rounds. Sometimes even stock up on one position and then let put guys I don't want on the trading block to see what I can get for them.

And it really depends where you pickin. I like to be 7-9. That gets you two superstars for sure! If you pick first by the time the second round comes it's not so exiting...

The strategy is a interesting topic and I think its dependent who who you are picking against. It will be a new experience picking against Irish based people for me who may purely follow the "highest rated player" at the time strategy however there is clearly knowledgeable people in the league.

I think I will have 3 different strategies for the pick and after a round or two I will need to asses who is picking what and their strategies might be before I adjust mine. Give me 6,7 or 8 and I will have the league in the bag ;)

I can give you mine...
    All penguins available...:D and I bring home the cup too:cool:

I'm doin this 5 years now and it's very hard to get any sort of strategy.
    I usually pick the best player on d board for the first 6-7 rounds. Sometimes even stock up on one position and then let put guys I don't want on the trading block to see what I can get for them.

And it really depends where you pickin. I like to be 7-9. That gets you two superstars for sure! If you pick first by the time the second round comes it's not so exiting...

I don't really know what position I'd like to be. The way Daniel Sedin played last year he's bound to be a top pick this year, but can he repeat his numbers this year? Bit questionable. You're probably right that a middle pick is better to get two strong players, rather than a superstar and a "just decent" pick.

That said, there are one or two players I'd be really desperate to get this year, and if they're gone before I get to pick I'll be devastated!
    The strategy is a interesting topic and I think its dependent who who you are picking against. It will be a new experience picking against Irish based people for me who may purely follow the "highest rated player" at the time strategy however there is clearly knowledgeable people in the league.

I think I will have 3 different strategies for the pick and after a round or two I will need to asses who is picking what and their strategies might be before I adjust mine. Give me 6,7 or 8 and I will have the league in the bag ;)

Cocky, I like it. Let the smalk talk begin!

I'm still undecided as to when or where to pick my D-men and goalies. D-men are generally picked later in the draft for fairly obvious reasons, but if you can get at least two strong blueliners that can be the difference between winning or not. It's pretty exciting stuff, really!
    I can give you mine...
    All penguins available...:D and I bring home the cup too:cool:

Be interesting to see when Crosby gets picked, he's one of the biggest dilemma's / risks this year. Really hope he gets back and gets back to his best soon, the sport needs him. Malkin is doing really well in pre-season though, he should be a pretty early pick too. Fleury is a steady bet in nets, but none of the Penguins defence will put up big numbers. Whatever you do, don't let your heart rule and pick Brooks Orpik... :)

Four days until the draft, and six days until the season starts. Here's the first round of fixtures (by boards username):
    • MrJoeSoap vs Coeus
    • StevoTG vs Shanannigan
    • cena vs Izy
    • persie11 vs krissovo
    • smackbunnybaby vs malachyscott
    • COYW vs TechnoPool

• Advertisement

, but none of the Penguins defence will put up big numbers. Whatever you do, don't let your heart rule and pick Brooks Orpik... :)

i'll give you my man KRIS LETANG!!!! norris trophy candidate this year!!!

Advertisement