Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering computers

Options
  • 08-09-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

First year Mech eng student here. Our guide told us there were computers that only engineers could use and were much better, he showed us the room but I haven't the slightest idea where it is now, could someone tell me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

Its AM061, but it has no internet there in the past people really took advantage of it. but yup the computers are good and have all the engineering programs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Computer Society members can get internet access in AM-061...:pac:
    go to http://registercs.ul.ie/ and signup to join the computer society.

You would also need a copy of firefox on a usb. But yes you can get internet in AMO-61.

The computers are one floor above the venus computer labs. It's where the female bathroom should be on that floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

Well to be fair the lab is there for ppl in engineering who need to use the computers. In the past two years anyways things got outta control with regards people on in the internet. But the new card system will prob filter out the unwanted folk I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭NeirBot

joey12 wrote: »
    Well to be fair the lab is there for ppl in engineering who need to use the computers. In the past two years anyways things got outta control with regards people on in the internet. But the new card system will prob filter out the unwanted folk I guess.

I thought that you had to be in one of the engineering courses to log onto those pc's anyway, so it was engineers that were mis-using the computers.

NeirBot wrote: »
    I thought that you had to be in one of the engineering courses to log onto those pc's anyway, so it was engineers that were mis-using the computers.

Yes it is limited but I don't know by how much. I know business students can't log onto those computers.

I don't think people were being out of control by using the internet. I never really used AMO-61 unless I had to write up a report/use matlab/cfd/cad. In my 4 years there has always been a pc free and it was such a good place to write reports as it would just be people you know also writing the same reports.

The room is fairly useless now as you can't even write reports (like look up information) or even access college emails! They should allow internet to the 3rd and 4th years. Especially 4th years.

They also don't allow anyone to log onto more than one pc anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Computer Society members can get internet access in AM-061...:pac:
    go to http://registercs.ul.ie/ and signup to join the computer society.

How can members get internet/log on to the PC's there? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

I joined at the start of last year :D . . won't be able to make the AGM but thanks I'll definitely be along during week 3. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

reunion wrote: »

The room is fairly useless now as you can't even write reports (like look up information) or even access college emails! They should allow internet to the 3rd and 4th years. Especially 4th years.

Due to a screw up by ITD most fourth years can't even log onto a computer in AM0 at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I can't log onto these computers, but my friend doing Aero could...

I'm doing Mech Eng, surely I can use them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I can't log onto these computers, but my friend doing Aero could...

I'm doing Mech Eng, surely I can use them too?

Yes you can but as imentioned earlier theres terrible log in problems at the moment. Let philip griffin know your having trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

And postgrad students!
    They also don't allow anyone to log onto more than one pc anymore.

Why would you want to log on to more than one PC? Also, laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

And postgrad students!

Why would you want to log on to more than one PC? Also, laptop?[/
    you would want to sign into more than one computer would be to run more than one cfd solutions at the same time some cfd solutions take day's to run

any computational heavy stuff would take a while to run. imagine if it took a day and you had to run 28 of these simulations? using 28 computers for 1 day saves you a month....

Also postgrads should have their own pc.

Advertisement