Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proliferation of Asian in dublin

Options
  • 08-09-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all

Firstly I would like to say that this thread is in no way derogatory or racist just simply an observation.I have been out of Ireland for a good few years now but on my recent return I was stunned at the the sheer volume of asian people in dublin city center. From the Asain food stores to the 6 euro buffets to the oil massage parlours.My question is simple.
    Where did all these people come from and how are they here legally ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'm not a racist but. ;)

They came from Asia. Hope that clears things up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

how are they here legally ?

Most of them have what is called a "work visa".

Thanks for calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

amazingly enough, the Asian people came from Asia, imagine that.

mod hat on

Please, don't turn this into anything distasteful, thanks

/mod hat off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

OP, I assume you are wondering if there are specific countries where many of these people have come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

China mainly, majority of the Asians in Dublin come from around Dalian City near the North Korea border. I welcome more South East Asians to Dublin, they work hard, very industrous people, cook great food and believe in educating their kids to the highest standards so settling here is a win win for Ireland IMHO.

P.S Asian women from China and Korea are extremely beautiful too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickmadoodle

Corsendonk thanks for the first decent reply...more like this please
    How are they legal here ?

thanks

Duder What type of ''work visa'' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How are they legal here ?
    They've obtained some kind of visa. Many will be here on student visas where they've come over to study english. Afaik, a student visa allows the student to do a limited amount of paid work.

The rest will have work permits. A new work permit is probably harder to get now, but where someone has been living in the state for a number of years and/or is in employment, there's no reason why renewal of their permits would be refused.

seamus wrote: »
    They've obtained some kind of visa. Many will be here on student visas where they've come over to study english. Afaik, a student visa allows the student to do a limited amount of paid work.

The rest will have work permits. A new work permit is probably harder to get now, but where someone has been living in the state for a number of years and/or is in employment, there's no reason why renewal of their permits would be refused.

AFAIK its 20 hours per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Chinese girls can be really cute. Wouldn't mind helping some of them proliferate a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Corsendonk wrote: »
    AFAIK its 20 hours per week.

Yeah, it's supposed to be 20 a week, but the guys I've worked with generally do the full 40, and about 5/6 hours of schooling a week.

Not that I'd begrudge them it. I mean, they're working and handing up tax. Plenty of Irish guys not doing it like!

OP your post got me thinking about the small number of Vietnamese Boat people that Ireland took in under pressure from the UN in the late 70s and what happened them and are now as Irish as you and me. Link

Duder What type of ''work visa'' ?

I imagine the type of one that allows you to work here. I've never had to apply for one myself so don't know exactly.

I don't understand how the question "how are they here legally?" isn't answered by "They have work visas/student visas".

How else would they be here legally?

Just checked the INIS.gov.ie website..looks like to get a student visa to study english in Ireland now u need

• Letter of acceptance from a recognised school/college/university in Ireland confirming that you have been accepted on a course of study. This course of study must be full-time (lasting an academic year) and have a minimum of 15 hours per week study time.
    • Evidence of your academic ability to pursue the chosen course through the English language (unless it is an English language course).
    • Evidence that the fees for the course have been paid in full.
    • Evidence that you have enough funds (€7,000) to maintain yourself for the initial part of your stay.
    • Evidence that you or a sponsor have access to at least €7,000 for each subsequent year of your studies, in addition to the course fees for each of those years.
    • Evidence that you have private medical insurance
    • An explanation of any gaps in your educational history
    • Confirmation that you intend to return to your country of permanent residence when you leave Ireland.

Seems like a lot of cash if u coming from Dalian City and I wonder why they are coming from this area specifically

Seems like a lot of cash if u coming from Dalian City and I wonder why they are coming from this area specifically
    From a quick look at wikipedia, the region is wealthy in Chinese terms (twice the average GDP), is quite built up and relatively far more urbanised than the rest of China which is arguably a primarily rural/agricultural country at the moment.

It's also on a relatively recent part of the PRC which means that it's likely more "westernised" than other parts with slightly differing attitudes.

Though I don't know if it's true that a majority come from Dalian, it would seem at first glance that there's no reason why that wouldn't be true. Wealthy, urban and westernised. So they come here to learn english or otherwise work in a relatively familiar environment.

Marketing from Irish Institutions, word of mouth from previous students. The city has a pop of 6.1 million people and the province has 41 million people so it makes sense for Irish educational companies to concentrate in the one area. Waterford IT has a link up with another part of China AFAIK so expect to see more Chinese students around the different regional colleges in the future. Its quite a profitable and growing business for Ireland.

Check out the visa decisions list from inis.gov.ie very few student visa's granted...if fact very few visa's being granted full stop.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Visa%20Decisions%2030-08-11%20to%2005-09-11.pdf/Files/Visa%20Decisions%2030-08-11%20to%2005-09-11.pdf

Check out the visa decisions list from inis.gov.ie very few student visa's granted...if fact very few visa's being granted full stop.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Visa%20Decisions%2030-08-11%20to%2005-09-11.pdf/Files/Visa%20Decisions%2030-08-11%20to%2005-09-11.pdf
    60% of Visas are currently being approved according to the archive list from the start of June.

There's been a large Asian community in Ireland for years now, I know you've been away so you mightn't know but it's not just like they all suddenly arrived within the last two years. Even if they'd stopped giving out visas to the Chinese in 2008 there's still be a thriving community here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Hi all

Firstly I would like to say that this thread is in no way derogatory or racist just simply an observation.I have been out of Ireland for a good few years now but on my recent return I was stunned at the the sheer volume of asian people in dublin city center. From the Asain food stores to the 6 euro buffets to the oil massage parlours.My question is simple.

How was your experience with the Asian food stores, the 6 euro buffets and the oil massage parlours? Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Hi all

Wash your mouth out and go sit in the corner...

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Where are these asian oil massage parlours the OP speaks of??

id be interested in frequenting one of these fine establishments

Also where can one get a 6 euro buffet and what food is available?? could i get a nice curry with some rice,some prawn crackers,whatever? my only experience with asian food is the local chinese take aways which obviously is not a good example of asian cuisine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Charlie's on Wexford Street do a two course for 6.50, lovely chicken curry.

But to the OP, I was going out with a Chinese girl. They get work visas but renewal of them is not always a foregone conclusion. She's been here years, works in a large firm as an accountant but was fearing she'd have to leave Ireland next year. Not sure how she's fixed now as we broke up but there you go.

On a related topic, serious amount of Brazilians coming here to work/study in the last few years. It's great, I love it!

On a related topic, serious amount of Brazilians coming here to work/study in the last few years. It's great, I love it!

Awww man you gotta love them brazillian women,they are the most beautifull of any country. love watching them during the world cups.

brb headin into temple bar to find some curvy brazilian women :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hi all

Where were you? Were you there legally? Were there any threads on local message boards about a proliferation of Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm confused, despite the mod warning, this thread looks racist from the start and only seems to be revolving around the racist looking opening post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dawkcn

I am one of the Chinese people so I think I need to clarify something.
    There are not so many Chinese from Dalian just part of it.Most are from the south Fujian and north ShenYang. Most Chinese would like to live near to the city centre. That's why u think there r so many Chinese...We know we look differently.
    ac

Actually we are just a small community and most of us holding student visa. We r hard working studying and working at the same time. I know many Chinese only sleep five hours a day. We pay the tax we work hardly. however, the new student visa policy will force many Chinese holding student visa over 7 years to leave this country although many of them already have family here.

I love Ireland and I love friendly Irish people. At beginning, I thought it's a racist post, Im glad to see it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

CyberJuice wrote: »
    Where are these asian oil massage parlours the OP speaks of??

id be interested in frequenting one of these fine establishments

Dunno - Never frequented any myself - I'm a bit tense at the moment and could do with a good going over.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

dawkcn wrote: »
    I am one of the Chinese people so I think I need to clarify something.
    There are not so many Chinese from Dalian just part of it.Most are from the south Fujian and north ShenYang. Most Chinese would like to live near to the city centre. That's why u think there r so many Chinese...We know we look differently.
    ac

Actually we are just a small community and most of us holding student visa. We r hard working studying and working at the same time. I know many Chinese only sleep five hours a day. We pay the tax we work hardly. however, the new student visa policy will force many Chinese holding student visa over 7 years to leave this country although many of them already have family here.

I love Ireland and I love friendly Irish people. At beginning, I thought it's a racist post, Im glad to see it is not.

I don't think it was a racist post, to be honest, he was just wondering why there seemed to be a lot of Asians/Chinese here. Which is fair enough!
    Anyway, from me, personally, you're very welcome to be here and I'm glad you love Ireland! I know some Mandarin I could use here but unfortunately I don't have a clue how to write it :o:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement