Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proliferation of Asian in dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickmadoodle

dawkcn wrote: »
    I am one of the Chinese people so I think I need to clarify something.
    There are not so many Chinese from Dalian just part of it.Most are from the south Fujian and north ShenYang. Most Chinese would like to live near to the city centre. That's why u think there r so many Chinese...We know we look differently.
    ac

Actually we are just a small community and most of us holding student visa. We r hard working studying and working at the same time. I know many Chinese only sleep five hours a day. We pay the tax we work hardly. however, the new student visa policy will force many Chinese holding student visa over 7 years to leave this country although many of them already have family here.

I love Ireland and I love friendly Irish people. At beginning, I thought it's a racist post, Im glad to see it is not.

Thanks ''dawkcn'' for the great insight on the situation in dublin at the moment.What has become clear from posting here is how little knowledge the average paddy has on minority communities living here, which is sad.
    Well done for your contribution and by the way nice english ;)

more posts like this please and not just from chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

OP: you must not have been in Dublin for a long long time, because Asian faces have been a part of the city for at least 15 years now, the Chinese were one of the first wave of foreigners to arrive in Dublin/Ireland along with various Africans in the early 90s.

most would be on a student visa, and in theory attending an English school somewhere, or perhaps a business or computer course somewhere, whether they are actually going to class is another matter

others will have acquired sponsored work visas from their employers, other still will have residency visas through having their own businesses and such

but the majority will be on student visas

FensterDJ wrote: »
    OP: you must not have been in Dublin for a long long time, because Asian faces have been a part of the city for at least 15 years now, the Chinese were one of the first wave of foreigners to arrive in Dublin/Ireland along with various Africans in the early 90s.

most would be on a student visa, and in theory attending an English school somewhere, or perhaps a business or computer course somewhere, whether they are actually going to class is another matter

others will have acquired sponsored work visas from their employers, other still will have residency visas through having their own businesses and such

but the majority will be on student visas

ahhhhh now we getting on to something...''residency visas through having their own businesses and such'' anybody know how this process works ?
    thanks FensterDJ

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

they would meet the conditions outlined here

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Long_Term_Residency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ahhhhh now we getting on to something.

It's not some big mad conspiracy that you've uncovered. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

CyberJuice wrote: »
    Also where can one get a 6 euro buffet and what food is available?? could i get a nice curry with some rice,some prawn crackers,whatever? my only experience with asian food is the local chinese take aways which obviously is not a good example of asian cuisine

Take a walk down Abbey street and you will see a few all you can eat restaurants for around the €6 mark, one even charges €6.18!!
    Plenty of nice restaurants around Capel Street and Parnell street.
    I'm sure that they contribute a good bit to the economy, and creating employment in language schools etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I have great respect for the Chinese in Ireland, I am involved in the catering industry and I meet and interact with members of the Chinese community every week,top people, honest,and hardworking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Asian people, with a few small exceptions, are a credit to the country, work hard and raise good kids. I'd throw open the doors to any that wanted to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dawkcn

I feel so warm reading this post.Thanks every one.I'm proud to be Chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Not all asian people in ireland are chinese, asia has other countries, thailand, vietnam, japan, malasia, phillipines etc..lots of them live work here and after x amount of years are entililited too irish passport,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I think it's great, we have proper Chinese food here now, not just those bloody awful takeaways. Also more shops selling tofu. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I think it's great, we have proper Chinese food here now, not just those bloody awful takeaways. Also more shops selling tofu. :)

Tell us where to get "proper" chinese food please :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

How do the Asians, chinese in particular, find us Irish guys. Would you go out with us and consider settling down, or living with us? I'm curious

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

I myself, find them a great asset to our community. Polite, good people, and very hard working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I wouldn't have said the percentage of Asians in Dublin is particularly high, according to the 2006 census it's only around 30,000 people or so, a very small percentage of the population. Granted the community is mostly based in and around the city centre which might account for the perception that the number's are in fact greater than they really are.

It'll be interesting to see how much it has declined when the 2011 results are published.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

Well at first I thought this was a completely stupid and pointless thread, but now I gotta say thanks OP since I now know that Irish people do appreciate us and our hard work, and I'm glad to be living here for so long (13 years, from Hong Kong). Nice one OP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Despite all the warmth in this post, I'm still worried by it.. OP, every question you've asked has been answered in detail, even though they were fairly obvious from the outset. Without being so blunt, why do you care so much?

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Despite all the warmth in this post, I'm still worried by it.. OP, every question you've asked has been answered in detail, even though they were fairly obvious from the outset. Without being so blunt, why do you care so much?

Trying to get my girlfriend in and yes you guessed it.. she's Asian ;)

What you worried about ''A Disgrace'' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Trying to get my girlfriend in and yes you guessed it.. she's Asian ;)
    So you thought you'd create a vague thread wondering about Asians in Dublin, rather than just asking how to go about applying for a visa?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 16 yahowho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭crushproof

Made my day yahowho, I hadn't a clue where that video was leading, absolutely hilarious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Goose81

My experiences from working with Chinese people and when in school, the only concern I would have is a question of integration.
    They seem to stick rigidly to themselves in their own community.
    African's and Eastern European's seem much more open to integration and seem to mix with natives more.

This is fine if they are just over studying but if they plan on living permanently it will cause issues I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Goose81 wrote: »
    My experiences from working with Chinese people and when in school, the only concern I would have is a question of integration.
    African's and Eastern European's seem much more open to integration and seem to mix with natives more.

This is fine if they are just over studying but if they plan on living permanently it will cause issues I think.

I agree that it does occur, but to be honest I have found that the ones who are here through legal means (through work, college etc) are more open to the communities around them. The guys and girls I've encountered who are here somewhat below the radar have tried to keep themselves below the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Goose81 wrote: »

I wonder if the drinking culture is a problem for them. It can be hard to integrate into Irish life if you don't drink, and a lot of Asians have alcohol intolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Goose81

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I wonder if the drinking culture is a problem for them. It can be hard to integrate into Irish life if you don't drink, and a lot of Asians have alcohol intolerance.

I dont think so.
    The people I worked with all came out on the piss with us but their social interaction with Irish people ended there.

Filipinos seem much more open to integration, so I wouldnt class it as an asian issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

I don't see them as being very productive in the current economic climate
    as most income earned here by Chinese is being repatriated back to China.

Secondly, Irish people are far from welcome long-term in China, only given short-term contracts and 1 year work permits, I'd like to see a more reciprocal relationship here, instead of the political pandering to the Chinese that goes on.

I highly doubt most Chinese are here legally, I'd imagine most are granted student visas and then stay in the country once they finish their course of study, or those that are here legally have abused the system by bringing over their extended families.

Don't forget a lot of Chinese in Dublin are involved in human trafficking and prostitution

Oh good...
    I don't see them as being very productive in the current economic climate
    as most income earned here by Chinese is being repatriated back to China.
    Unsubstantiated generalisation after...
    I highly doubt most Chinese are here legally, I'd imagine most are granted student visas and then stay in the country once they finish their course of study
    unsubstantiated generalisation after...
    or those that are here legally have abused the system by bringing over their extended families.
    unsubstantiated generalisation.
    Don't forget a lot of Chinese in Dublin are involved in human trafficking and prostitution
    And a totally bull**** claim just to round it off. Well done

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

Generalizations with a large degree of truth to them too.

What am I going to go out and get lots of proof to back up my claims?!

Why would I waste the time? I'm just writing my opinion on a forum not putting a new law through the Dail.

• Advertisement

Generalizations with a large degree of truth to them too.
    Which I call bull**** on.
    What am I going to go out and get lots of proof to back up my claims?!
    If you want to claim nonsense, have something to back it up. Otherwise your posts have exactly as much weight as if I posted that "daithimacgroin has the intellect of a glue-eating 6-year-old"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement