Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proliferation of Asian in dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

don't people get banned on here for trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

don't people get banned on here for trolling?

They certainly do. And your posting of sweeping generalisations & unsubstantiated allegations about a particular race or section of our community is border-line trolling in my opinion.

tHB

hardly, there's dozens of articles in broadsheet newspapers about triad links
    to prostitution and human trafficking,

as for the repatriation of money to China, ask the next Chinese person you meet what's he/she doing with all his/her savings, buying several investment properties at home while laughing at these Irish who'll pay him so much money per hour compared to back home

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

hardly, there's dozens of articles in broadsheet newspapers about triad links
    to prostitution and human trafficking,
    Link some of these "dozens"
    as for the repatriation of money to China, ask the next Chinese person you meet what's he/she doing with all his/her savings, buying several investment properties at home while laughing at these Irish who'll pay him so much money per hour compared to back home
    So you've conducted this experiment then? Lots of interviews with the 11,000 or so Chinese people in the country? I thought you didn't have time to be going out and getting proof of your nonsense claims?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

as for the repatriation of money to China, ask the next Chinese person you meet what's he/she doing with all his/her savings, buying several investment properties at home while laughing at these Irish who'll pay him so much money per hour compared to back home[/QUOTE]

I meet Chinese business owners all the time,most I know have a mixture of Irish and Chinese staff, they buy goods and services from local Irish firms and pay their taxes in Ireland.So what if some Chinese save a few bob and send it home,its their money and they are free to spend it as they see fit.I havent seen any Chinese people unemployed so they must be doing something right.

• Advertisement

I meet Chinese business owners all the time

Really? Then you must get a lot of dodgy massages and eat plenty of substandard food

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I can count the Asian people living over here that I've known on one hand (4) so I've not a lot of experience but they seem like grand, average people. I was only in school when I knew them so they weren't working but they were the same as anyone else in school.

One of them had a bit of a "problem" lets say but I know a LOT more Irish people with this same "problem".
    I really can't see why anyone would have an issue with them being here.

Sure, let's get all the Irish kicked out of America, loads of their ancestors moved there illegally. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

CianRyan wrote: »
    One of them had a bit of a "problem" lets say but I know a LOT more Irish people with this same "problem".

Gambling?

Chinese people come over and contribute little to the economy, yet avail themselves of all the great benefits of living in a free country,
    yet Irish people living in China contribute greatly to the Chinese economy yet are treated like scum by the Chinese government, while greasy-palmed officials from both countries try and find ways to rip each other off, while massaging each others balls with talk of co-operation and cultural exchange

Really? Then you must get a lot of dodgy massages and eat plenty of substandard food
    @daithimacgroin - Trolling & veiled racist comments are not acceptable in the Dublin City forum.
    Do not post in this thread again.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't know if this has been said but the Asian students contribute a lot to Irish colleges. I know a lad from bangadesh and the fees he pays are crazy expensive. His family are pretty wealth back home and all worked hard for degrees.

The lad works hard, pays taxes and spends his money in our economy. I know people will say he is selling Irish jobs but to be honest, employment can be hard for him due to visa restrictions and college. He really has to show he is a hard worker and flexible within his restrictions when applying to companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭IrishManSaipan

dawkcn wrote: »

the new student visa policy will force many Chinese holding student visa over 7 years to leave this country although many of them already have family here.

Seven years on a student fooking visa? WTF?

Listen, pal. They where issued with a student visa, not permanent residency.

More proof, if needed, that these "english language schools" are just a loophole for non EU workers to can gain access to our labour market. Whilst over 400,000 people are unemployed. Sheer unadulterated lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

The food is good but the uneducated palate might not appreciate it;) as for the massages, surely the dodgy ones are the best;)

Don't feed the trolls please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

FensterDJ wrote: »
    OP: you must not have been in Dublin for a long long time, because Asian faces have been a part of the city for at least 15 years now, the Chinese were one of the first wave of foreigners to arrive in Dublin/Ireland along with various Africans in the early 90s.

most would be on a student visa, and in theory attending an English school somewhere, or perhaps a business or computer course somewhere, whether they are actually going to class is another matter

others will have acquired sponsored work visas from their employers, other still will have residency visas through having their own businesses and such

but the majority will be on student visas

Some are here a lot longer as their parents and grandparents were displaced boat people who came and settled in Ireland in the 60s and 70s.
    One of the ladies who works in one of the local post offices is Aisian and I over heard two old wans tuting and saying sure don't you need Irish to work in an Post. I told them you do and that Mary who was born here had good Irish and went to the same school as my sisters and that her mother was born here too.

There has been asian markets in dublin going back over 30 years, it's nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Gambling?

Drugs actually, low class stuff that many would argue is harmless.
    Still against the law all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

More proof, if needed, that these "english language schools" are just a loophole for non EU workers to can gain access to our labour market. Whilst over 400,000 people are unemployed. Sheer unadulterated lunacy.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation there that its lunacy. A significant number of those students pay large fees to study here and pay taxes on their wages and are a benefit to society. [The ones who are abusing the system should be put on the first plane back to their home country]

How many of those 400,000 unemployed are spongers living off the welfare state who have no interest in working? Or are working nixers and claiming? Or would actually do the menial sort of jobs that foreigners tend to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

I don't think that any Irish person can afford to complain about other nationalities living/working in our country illegally, considering the amount of Irish that live/work illegally in other countries. We are lucky that other nations have & do cast a blind eye to illegal Irish, & indeed have granted amnesty to so many illegal Irish immigrants.

I would go a step further & say that as far as I have observed, people of Asian descent seem like hard workers - legal or otherwise - & are not a burden on the State - something which cannot be said for quite a lot of EU citizens who reside here legally, don't do a tap of work & claim social wefare benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

Sharrow wrote: »
    Some are here a lot longer as their parents and grandparents were displaced boat people who came and settled in Ireland in the 60s and 70s.
    One of the ladies who works in one of the local post offices is Aisian and I over heard two old wans tuting and saying sure don't you need Irish to work in an Post. I told them you do and that Mary who was born here had good Irish and went to the same school as my sisters and that her mother was born here too.

There has been asian markets in dublin going back over 30 years, it's nothing new.

I wasn't saying there were no Asians in Ireland before 15 years ago, just that they started to arrive in significant numbers at the time, 20 years ago it would have been very unusual to see an asian or african or basically any non Irish/white face going about their day on the streets of Dublin.

My wife lived next door to a Vietnamese family her whole life, but that wouldn't have been a typical experience. An older colleague in work claims that there has always been lots of foreigners in Ireland, but she went to the school where all the various embassy staff sent their kids, so she too had an unusual experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

jeckle wrote: »
    I don't think that any Irish person can afford to complain about other nationalities living/working in our country illegally, considering the amount of Irish that live/work illegally in other countries. .

We can complain all we like. I don't live illegaly in other countries and don't intend to.

The asians here are largely economic migrants that are abusing our immigration/study laws to make a bit of money for themselves to send back home. They undermine Irish workers by doing this and also harm the exchequer. They tend to keep within their own communities which doesn't help matters either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

asian chicks are hot, this country needs more asian chicks

that's all there is to it really

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

We can complain all we like. I don't live illegaly in other countries and don't intend to.

The asians here are largely economic migrants that are abusing our immigration/study laws to make a bit of money for themselves to send back home. They undermine Irish workers by doing this and also harm the exchequer. They tend to keep within their own communities which doesn't help matters either.

I would just like to say, me and my family has been living in Ireland for over 13 years, and I consider Ireland my home more than Hong Kong where I was born. It's highly ignorant of you to think that we all send money back home just because we are from a different country.

From the moment we came to this country, me and my family tried our hardest to make a living and just enough to survive. Not once have my family ever sent back a huge amount of our earnings here since we're barely surviving as it is. We do not also "undermine" Irish workers in any way. My dad works very hard to support us, even working till 4am on fridays and saturdays, and lemme tell you constantly standing and cooking food while handling heavy pans is not an easy job especially from 5pm to 4am. I'm not sure anyone would even want that job, heck I wouldn't want that job. Also alot of Chinese people are very dedicated and hard-working, we know many who don't even take days off, ever(not even Xmas!! ). Don't you think that's hard-working and we deserve at least a little bit of appreciation?

Also in this economy where the country is encouraging people to set up businesses, don't you think, the Chinese community contributes alot to the Irish economy considering all the taxes they pay from their businesses??

Yes, I do admit there are a proportion of people(not just Asian btw) who come here illegaly, but there are also a proportion of Asians (foregin people in general) who are here legally, and has lived here for many years and have an Irish passport and consider Ireland their homes (like I do)

I really hope you don't look down on us just based on a first impression you see just because we're Asian and we look different but there are those who are more Irish than where they came from, like me who has a Dublin accent.

And with regards to them keeping to their own community, the sole reason for this is because of the language barrier. Some genuinly can't speak english, like my mam, despite living here for so long she still finds it hard to speak it (she can understand it but can't speak it). But again not all stick to themselves. In fact all my friends are Irish and I honestly don't have an Asian friend.

Sorry for the long rant, but I really don't want people to think bad of us and we are nice people! :D (and cook you nice curries, lol )

My experience of is very nice, hard working people but it doesn't change anything I said. I'm not speaking for every single asian person in Ireland, but of the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

My experience of is very nice, hard working people but it doesn't change anything I said. I'm not speaking for every single asian person in Ireland, but of the majority.

Well I'm glad your experience is nice at least. But how can you know for sure it's the majority when I don't even know the majority,when my parents works with and is friends with Asians. Dublin is huge, loads of Asians, so you've talked with all of them and they tell you they're here illegaly even though most don't speak english (fluently) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

7 years is not unreasonable for a student visa, it takes 4 years for a degree, 5 for a masters, add a year or to to get your language skills to an academic level, and a year for flexibility, 7 years happens very quickly.

Obviously not all people here on a student visa with get a diploma/masters but the system is there to accommodate those who will.

so you are suggesting to close down or severely regulate the English language teaching industry? put all those working in teaching, admin, support services, tourism services, host families, accommodation out of a job, and stop a stream of foreign revenue coming into rather than going out of the country.

That's really going to help the 400.000 isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

And you've met the majority of Asian people in Ireland have you? :rolleyes:
    The asians here are largely economic migrants that are abusing our immigration/study laws to make a bit of money for themselves to send back home. They undermine Irish workers by doing this and also harm the exchequer.

Typical sort of rubbish that barstool economists spout when times are hard.

Ever hear of sampling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ever hear of sampling?

Ever heard of blind generalisations and absolute bullsh*t?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

OP - that there country that you are just back from, was there a forum noting all the Ire'sh people knocking about?

• Advertisement

Ever heard of blind generalisations and absolute bullsh*t?

Nothing wrong with generalisations. It's impossible to discuss anything without them. You don't believe that the vast majority of Asians are here through legitimate means. I know all the scams to get here. The study visa, pretend to be minor on the plane over, securing work visas only for your fellow countrymen, identity theft.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement