Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What else do you listen to (non Rock & Metal)?

Options
  • 08-09-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

I'm curious about seeing what else us Rock & Metal folk listen to outside of the designated forum genres. Personally I'm a huge fan of computer-generated music and have been for a long time. I could fill pages of discussion on this stuff but I'd probably bore everyone else to tears :).

Sanxion Loading Tune - Rob Hubbard (C-64)

Aerith's Theme - Nobuo Uematsu (PS1)

Satellite One - Purple Motion (PC)

I'm also a fan of some ambient stuff. I tend to listen to a lot of music at work to block out background noise and stuff like this is great:
    StrangeZero - Inoki Aselgy

Just to pre-empt anyone thinking of moaning that this isn't the right forum for this topic, please save yourself the trouble and don't bother because I won't listen :).
    Also please keep this non Rock & Metal related.

So with those two small caveats in mind, what else do the rest of you listen to?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Very occasionally I might listen to some classical music, I have some Tchaikovsky on my iPod, and might listen to others on youtube. I also have a few game soundtracks on my iPod (Dawn of War 2, Bioshock and Portal 1&2), but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MaidenSlayer

I'm quite into Electronic music, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers etc.. Pendulum are good too, mixture of metal and electronic stuff. Also love a bit of Soul, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, James Brown and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Here is a sample of some non Rock & Metal that I would listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

90's G-funk, trad, moby and crappy dubstep. Bit of rap as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would listen to almost anything that sounded good to my ears.

Ska, punk, electronica, dance, R&B, soul, jazz, pop, classical, country, you name it and there is probably an example of it on my ipod at this stage.

I just get a buzz out of finding something new to me that really hits a spot for me. Also love finding something new away from rock/metal that I can try to do something with on my bass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hey Kess73, do you play in a band around Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I enjoy a lot of non R&M music too, from Garth Brooks to the Saw Doctors.
    Ive even gone to a Lady GaGa concert :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

seachto7 wrote: »
    Hey Kess73, do you play in a band around Limerick?
    Please take it to here or PM, don't take the thread off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Damn you, Malice! Damn you to hell! [/glorywhore] :pac:

What got me in mind was I was listening to some good old Funk incorporated Hip-Hop this morning, this is a classic.

Brand Nubian - Brand Nubian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I listen to a fair amount of music outside of R+M. Mainly jazz and blues, but also some classical, funk and electronic, and occasionally reggae. Mainly drum and bass or house for electronic, but also kraftwerk and some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Hmmm, let's see.

A huge amount of local indie, and quite a bit of UK and international stuff too (e.g., Two Door, The Cast of Cheers, Maximo Park, Foals, Everything Everything...)

Quirky electronic/classical/odd music, the likes of Final Fantasy, Crystal Castles, Imogen Heap, Ween, Calvin Harris and Sam Sparro.

Modern and classic pop music (e.g., The Beatles, Dylan, Neil Young, The Police, Lady Gaga, Kesha, The Hoosiers)

A selection of soundtracks from musicals (e.g., Phantom of the Opera), a few rap/urban artists (e.g., Tinie Tempah), experimental acoustic guitar (e.g., Matt Stevens, Antoine Dufour) and lot of comedy albums (e.g., Flight of the Conchords, Tenacious D, The Lonely Island).

I'm nearly sure a few genres got left out there but I think that covers most of it! Can't beat a good aul bit of metal to wash it all down with though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've been on a major Classical binge for the last couple of years - starting with Beethoven's Symphonies. He straddled two eras, and you can hear how he advanced the art between #1 and #9. Try and tell me that this isn't just a bit Metal for its time: :cool:

Apart from that - anything with a good bassline, since that's my instrument e.g. one of my favourites is an ABBA song, One Of Us, which has some excellent fretless work.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭dasdog

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would listen to almost anything that sounded good to my ears.

Ska, punk, electronica, dance, R&B, soul, jazz, pop, classical, country, you name it and there is probably an example of it on my ipod at this stage.

I just get a buzz out of finding something new to me that really hits a spot for me. Also love finding something new away from rock/metal that I can try to do something with on my bass.

+1...if it's good it's good but 50/60's jazz, 60/70's ska/dub and all era electronic are probably my more regular choices.

On classical music, Igor Stravinsky's music is insane and violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I loved Pendulum back when they were Drum & Bass, not the poppy crap they are now, their debut album was fantastic.

Pendulum - Plastic World

Gotta love Elecktro, a bit o' Justice.

Justice - Waters Of Nazareth

Nothing too embarassing so far. I'm waiting for someone to profess a love for the Bee Gees or something :).

Aqua fans... SHOW YOURSELVES!!

Nailz wrote: »
    Aqua fans... SHOW YOURSELVES!!
    Actually I like this song :o

Somebody can now post up a Beegees track now and still feel in their comfort zone. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I really enjoyed "The E.N.D." by the Black Eyed Peas... surely worse than the Bee Gees :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I do enjoy some pop! I got Adele's album, the woman has some voice on her. I'm going to see Jenny Greene on Saturday night (DJ on 2FM, playlist), I do enjoy late 90's/early 00's trance/dance stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Malice wrote: »
    Nothing too embarassing so far. I'm waiting for someone to profess a love for the Bee Gees or something :).

Ahh so the point of this thread is not to discuss other genres of music that we like, but instead a veiled attempt to get folk to mention stuff that others can titter at?:D

In that case bring it on. I really like Nelly Furtado and not just to look at. Her second album, Folklore, gets regular spins from me, and I still like her first album Whoa Nelly. Hell I even own a copy of her Loose album (although that has not warranted as many repeat plays as her first two albums.

I also have a number of cds of 70's disco music.

I'm Kess. I have no shame and I don't care. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Nailz wrote: »
    Somebody can now post up a Beegees track now and still feel in their comfort zone. :pac:

I actually like this song belonging to the Beegees. There are worst songs out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I'll give nearly anything a shot - there's a few genres I'm not mad about (reggae by itself I find really dull, but I like ska, and most fusions of reggae and ska are good), but there's some rock/metal I don't like either.

I'm fairly into classical and contemporary music (it's kinda my job), this is the piece that got me into contemporary a few years ago, it's so metal.

I've developed a great love of rap in the last few years; there's a lot of absolute rubbish out there but good rap is amazing. My housemate has gotten me into Big Boi in a serious way recently.

Gotta love good, straightforward pop music too, Bowie and all that. Billy Joel and Ben Folds, both as pianists and as sublime songwriters.

I could seriously go on for many hours and many genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The Bee Gees are pretty good, if I could write a song like Staying Alive I'd be pretty chuffed.

Tell me you can't hear the funk in that.

I also like Pulp.

Malice wrote: »
    Arthur's Theme isn't embarrasing enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Arthur's Theme isn't embarrasing enough for you?

Burt Bacharach, like. What's to be embarassed about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Classical Music, of course. My favorite there is Antonin Dvorak.

Apart from that...Kelly Family, reminds me of the good old times in university, having a barbecue and singing along stuff like 'An Angel' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭dasdog

And this. Things would be very different if this hadn't have happened.

Advertisement