Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single speed gear ratio

• 08-09-2011 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

I have availed of an end of year special and have ordered a Specialized Langster to replace my stolen Trek 7.2 FX hybrid. It has a 42t chainring and a 16t cog. The new bike will be almost exclusively used on my 5km relatively flat commute. The most commonly used gear on my hybrid was 48-18, which is very slightly heavier than the gear on the single speed.

The new bike is a bit lighter and the position is more aero. Is it likely to be a bit undergeared? I'm highly unlikely to do anything about it but I was wondering what the single speed/fixie types would usually ride.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

i ride 48-16 on my pompino.

it's a heavy enough bike but can manage pretty well. granted i have to get out of saddle on a few climbs.

you race don't you? prob far stronger than i am, so would imagine even 48-16 would be undergeared for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Try it out stock and see how you get on. One of the benefits of a SS is that it forces you to spin at a higher cadence, so don't go too high on the gearing. I started fixed on 73" with my Bowery which is slightly higher than your 70". I wouldn't go much higher than that to start with. And go fixed, it is far more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

My Charge Plug came with 42-16 gearing, I ride it fixed and after a few weeks I changed to 42-15 as I was constantly spinning out anytime i generated a bit of speed, I did debate on moving to 42-14 or changing the chainring but never did as I live on the top of a hill that is always a challange at the end of my commute home.

I would say to try out the bike with the gearing it has and change if necessary, I would say if you keep it as a SS you would not notice the spinning out as much as you can freewheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

It has a flip flop hub so I will be trying it out fixed as well to see what all the fuss is about.

I suspect it is a little undergeared. Having said that, although I'm not a pathological masher, a bit of mandatory high cadence riding will do me no harm. The only thing I won't be able to tolerate is if I can't keep up with people I am usually quicker than on my commute. In that case, changes will just have to be made!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

The only thing I won't be able to tolerate is if I can't keep up with people I am usually quicker than on my commute. In that case, changes will just have to be made!

That happened to me a lot when I first got my Charge Plug (42-16 like Highway to Hell). In the end I just pushed harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

I have a langster with the 42-16 set-up.

Tried it fixed and it hurt my knee but on singlespeed it's perfect.

8.5km commute from Ballyboden to town so I do end up freewheeling a bit on the way in but wouldn't want it any harder for going home.

On a flat commute I think you'd want a harder ratio, especially if the oul commuter racing is important to you.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

G rock wrote: »
    i ride 48-16 on my pompino.
    my pompy is geared 48:13, which give a decentish top speed (the sprint for the final green light to work can hit 60kph), but there a long periods where arse doesn't meet saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

As blorg suggested, try it with the stock gearing first and see how it feels - 42-16=70.9" gear which is a comfortable, mid-range gear for the flat. If you find yourself getting frustrated at constantly spinning out then it's a simple enough matter to stick a
    15 (75.6") or a 14 (81") cog on the back to bump it up a bit. If that's still too low then you'll have to think about swapping the chainring which will more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to trying it out. In a year's time, I'll have built my own and will be unrecognisable with my calf tattoo, nose ring and courier bag.

Or maybe not

Advertisement