Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension fund value decrease by 1300euro in one month

Options
  • 08-09-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

I am on a group company pension with my employer for the last 3 years.Over the last month i have noticed the current value of the fund has dropped by over 1300euro.Is there anything i can do about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

If the fund is administered by one of the major pension companies (Irish Life etc), they usually allow you to change the broad funds they invest in.
    You can probably move it to something liinked to cash and bonds.

You can do nothing about money you've already lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dvpower wrote: »
    If the fund is administered by one of the major pension companies (Irish Life etc), they usually allow you to change the broad funds they invest in.
    You can probably move it to something liinked to cash and bonds.

You can do nothing about money you've already lost.

A lot of people did something like that (moved their pension fund to cash and bonds) after the crash that followed the failure of Lehman Brothers, they are now regretting it as the market has since bounced back though it has taken a battering the past few weeks.

OP, markets have recently dropped but you need to remember that a pension fund is a long term investment so you do not want to be making rash decisions. Unless you are within 5 years or so of retiring you are better off having most of your money in equity-based managed funds.

Advertisement