Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC securewatch mains fault

Options
  • 08-09-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hoping someone can help me out here guys. Came home recently to discover "battery fault" displayed on my HKC keypad. No problems with the functioning of the alarm however. Last week I got a call from my neighbour saying the alarm was going off. On returning home Keypad displayed "no rkp comms" and I was unable to use the keypad. Within a few hours the keypad was completely dead as if no power was going to it.

After doing some research on this site I decided to try fix the problem myself. I powered off the mains and opened the panel in my hot press. To my surprise no alarm sounded. I replaced the bottom fuse on the panel in the row of 4 and then connected a new battery. The alarm sounded and the keypad in the hall became active again. I closed the box back up and then powered on the mains. The alarm is functioning fine again. Arming and disarming with no problems. I am however getting a "mains fault" on the display and the fault light is also lit.

I can not find any posts in relation to a mains fault on the forum. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dave

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Check the main power fuse in the panel . If you disconnect the battery does the panel power up on mains only?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 daveh11

Thanks for the quick reply koolkid. No power going to the panel when the mains is disconnected. By the main power fuse do you mean the one in the plastic grey holder where the main supply comes in? What type of fuse does it take. Is it the same as the fuse I have already repllaced?

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Is the power light steady or flashing, steady means it's getting power

apologies. I meant to say no power going to panel when the battery is disconnected and the mains are on. I will replace the main fuse and see how I get on.
    Jnealon the power light is only on when the battery is connected.

dave

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I take it there are no trip switches down . After that the mains fuse in the panel is the most likely problem.

• Advertisement

I replaced the mains fuse and when I powered back on the mains the fuse blew. All trip switches are up.

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sounds like the trafo is gone.

Is that the transformer Fred. A pal of mine suggested this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes. They're cheap enough to replace.

Thats good to hear. I will leave that one to the experts. Thanks for all the help.

dave

• Advertisement

I have a CD72 I took out the other day. You can have that if you want to do some salvaging.;)

Thanks very much for the offer koolkid. I will take you up on that if my pal has trouble sourcing a transformer.
    dave

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

daveh11 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the offer koolkid. I will take you up on that if my pal has trouble sourcing a transformer.
    dave

For the price of them I would be buying direct off the suppliers. It will also save the hassle of removing the frame that holds the transformer in place off the old one for the second hand one.

altor wrote: »
    It will also save the hassle of removing the frame that holds the transformer in place off the old one for the second hand one.

Hassle??:confused: 2 screws and 3 terminal connections .The same as what has to done to replace the old one.
    Anyway Dave, if its that much hassle I take it out of the box for ya.;)
    Thought he might want a working CD72 as a nice standby as well.

A CD72, thats older than you.

altor wrote: »
    A CD72, thats older than you.

Not quite.. I go back to before the ITEC days, me :D
    Panels working & its free. Its going in the bin anyways, so if it helps someone & goes to a good home I'm happy.:D:D:D

KoolKid wrote: »
    Not quite.. I go back to before the ITEC days, me :D
    Panels working & its free. Its going in the bin anyways, so if it helps someone & goes to a good home I'm happy.:D:D:D

He is better off with what he has than that.

Ehh?? He has a power supply that's not working. This has a PSU that is.
    His choice , no loss either way.

€15 for a new transformer.

I have one there I offered to the OP for free.
    We'll let him decide yeah?
    dave

• Advertisement

I would rather see the OP put a new transformer in the panel, not for my gain. Who knows what issues may arise out of using a second hand transformer.

Right , your going off on one here a bit now.
    I have 80 more of those panels still in the same estate, should I go writing to all those customers saying there may be issues with their PSUs.?
    I'm sure the OP knows a second hand , free unit is not coming with a 10 year warranty .
    He's been advised on a free one & advised where to source one. Let him make the informed decision.

:D

My 10 cent worth.

The new transformer did the job guys. All is working fine again. Thanks to everyone for all their help and advice. Big thanks to Altor who sourced a new transformer for me. Very helpful and porfessional service. Would highly recommend him.

dave

Glad you got sorted dave & good work Altor. A nice new power supply should ensure many trouble free years ahead.. Any problems , you know where we are.

The new transformer did the job guys. All is working fine again. Thanks to everyone for all their help and advice. Big thanks to Altor who sourced a new transformer for me. Very helpful and porfessional service. Would highly recommend him.

dave

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know how you got on. If you have any other issues you know where we are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fd1975

Hi,

I have the same problem, can you advise where to get a new transformer please?

Thanks

fd1975 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the same problem, can you advise where to get a new transformer please?

Thanks

Hi fd1975,

The transformer can be got in R.E.W, just make sure you ring in advance so they can order one in for you. Price €15.20.

REW (Richmond Electrical Wholesale)
    Unit 17 / 18,
    Finglas Business Centre,
    Jamestown Road,
    Dublin 11
    Tel:01 858 0960
    Fax:01 8569830

The Westway Centre,
    Ballymount Ave,
    Dublin 12
    Tel:01 405 0200
    Fax:01 456 8802

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fd1975

Hi,

I rang REW and said i could not order the transformer part separately as it forms part of the panel. any advice?

thanks

• Advertisement

fd1975 wrote: »
    Hi,

I rang REW and said i could not order the transformer part separately as it forms part of the panel. any advice?

thanks

Send me a P.M and I will arrange one for you to collect in R.E.W

Advertisement