Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

damn service left my bike in bits!

• 08-09-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

left the bike in a well known place in south Dublin, tallaght, CycleSuperstore (can i say the name?). I had one request when I got there, the back wheel needed truing, everything else need a checkup.

I arrived there, got the bike, noticed they hadn't trued the wheel! So back in it went I got the bike back 5 mins later, grand. took her home. now the back brake scrapes off the wheel with every rotation and there is a clicking sound from the front derailleur. I notice the cables running down the frame are very slack! none of these issues were there before I left it in!

just venting!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There's a couple of unrelated shops in Tallaght called "Cycle*..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Bring it down to Expert Cycles in Rathfarnham village, least you know it will get sorted there rather than waste more time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

jon1981 wrote: »
    left the bike in a well known place in south Dublin, tallaght, CycleSuperstore (can i say the name?). I had one request when I got there, the back wheel needed truing, everything else need a checkup. I arrived there, got the bike, noticed they hadn't trued the wheel! So back in it went I got the bike back 5 mins later, grand. took her home. now the back brake scrapes off the wheel with every rotation and there is a clicking sound from the front derailleur. I notice the cables running down the frame are very slack! none of these issues were there before I left it in!
    just venting!

Did you cycle bike home or take wheels off and put it in car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If you're in Tallaght being it I to the Cycle Inn by the high street.
    I've always had much better experiences with them.
    Their turn around time can be a little longer but the lads know what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you've received bad service, take it back and demand remedy.

Ranting on the internet won't fix your bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Dakar32

I also get a clicking sound from the front, what causes that? Got the bike in the same place, must be a feature ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Lumen wrote: »

True. Exercise your rights as a consumer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I used cyclesuperstore recently to replace a spoke and true a wheel and they did a first class job when my local store said that they couldn't source DT Swiss spokes. Go back in. Be reasonable and polite. Say it is not fixed properly and bring your receipts. I would imagine that will get a satisfactory response.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Exactly, bring it back- tell them & I'm sure they ll sort it!

This is part of the problem with boards ..... Just go back & ask them to rectify I'm sure they will- pointless to come on here about it. These things can happen, they shouldn't but they can!!

As for someone asking whether you rode it home or took wheels off to drive it home- it should make no difference whatsoever !!!

OT ....
    I was in a shop the other day browsing quietly & heard someone ask a staff member in shop "do I get a boards discount" ..... Nearly pissed myself!! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

cipo wrote: »
    Exactly, bring it back- tell them & I'm sure they ll sort it!
    This is part of the problem with boards ..... Just go back & ask them to rectify I'm sure they will- pointless to come on here about it. These things can happen, they shouldn't but they can!!
    As for someone asking whether you rode it home or took wheels off to drive it home- it should make no difference whatsoever !!!
    OT ....
    I was in a shop the other day browsing quietly & heard someone ask a staff member in shop "do I get a boards discount" ..... Nearly pissed myself!! ;-)

You'd be surprised. It's possible he might not have put the wheel back on correctly or that the front mech got a bang while driving....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Indeed. I left a bike in there a couple of weeks ago and it came out in poor shape, it had a couple of issues it didn't go in with but I said I'd give them a chance and see how they resolve it as I never had issues there before. Brought it back and a young lad agreed with me on the issues and fixed it while I waited, got me to take a spin before letting me head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Makes a big difference, depending on the bike, the tension in the spings gets knocked out of balance with the slightest tap, leading it to rub on the rim.

Another is people who loosen the bars to get it in the car, managing to rotate them 360 and as a result the cables pull due to being wound around the frame.

Its something that happens ALOT in bikeshops, people ranting and raving, when infact THEY caused the **** up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Ok.... I was presuming that folk could take off and put on wheels fairly quickly, easily and without incident!!

Whoops!!

As for loosening bars... Never thought of even trying that to get a bike into a car!! No idea why you'd have to...

As i said I presumed that it would be a wheels off - job done!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

You can, but taking them out and putting it into the car can often knock the brakes off centre(road bike) or knock them or other parts that require quite fine tuning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Ok.... I was presuming that folk could take off and put on wheels fairly quickly, easily and without incident!!

Whoops!!

As for loosening bars... Never thought of even trying that to get a bike into a car!! No idea why you'd have to...

As i said I presumed that it would be a wheels off - job done!!

Never underestimates a persons capability for ****ing up machines by doing the easy things arseways. Thats one thing ive learned! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

These are very minor issues that (as a cyclist) you should be able to fix yourself . Your bike is not "in bits"

I don't think any one on here can say whether the bike is "in bits" or not without actually seeing it, but I think the best thing is to return to the store and calmly explain the problems, I'm sure they can put them right.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭full gas

dont understand why ya want to rant about a small problem here when it should be the shop you should be taking your problem to ,

I don't think boards has the power to bring the reputation of any shop down, but maybe I'm wrong!!
    I think the OP has valid reason to moan, if the bike was supposed to have been serviced then it shouldn't have ANY problems at all, but of course some times small things are missed, they shouldn't be, but we are all human, so they should be put right, no?
    I don't think some one should have to adjust things on their own bike them selves after paying hard earned money to have a professional service it!
    Would you be happy if you had to top up the fluids and pump the tyres on a car after it was serviced??

This was a reply to a post,was it removed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Holyboy wrote: »
    I don't think boards has the power to bring the reputation of any shop down, but maybe I'm wrong!!

if you google cyclesuperstore boards.ie results are ranked 4th in the list.
    If you expand that list, and just scan the snippets, you'd quickly arrive at an opinion on the store. Based on other peoples experiences, which I'd put much greater weighting over their glossy (or otherwise) site.

And you'd be stunned how many people read boards.

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    if you google cyclesuperstore boards.ie results are ranked 4th in the list.
    If you expand that list, and just scan the snippets, you'd quickly arrive at an opinion on the store. Based on other peoples experiences, which I'd put much greater weighting over their glossy (or otherwise) site.

And you'd be stunned how many people read boards.

Does this mean boards is kind of like a God?:D

I do know a lot of people read these threads (God knows I've had some back lash from some of my more rash posts) but it's a place for people to praise or diss how ever they feel fit and I like that,I just don't think a giant like superstore could be put out of business by a few bad experiences posted on here, I know I take all posts with a pinch of salt,maybe everyone else is not the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

Hmmm .. I have to disagree with the ranting on the internet bit... here's how I see it

Someone gets worked up about poor service so posts a thread about it and maybe in the process it helps them to de-stress
    Someone else sympathizes and offers advice
    Someone else posts a positive experience of said advice - see example below
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Indeed. I left a bike in there a couple of weeks ago and it came out in poor shape, it had a couple of issues it didn't go in with but I said I'd give them a chance and see how they resolve it as I never had issues there before. Brought it back and a young lad agreed with me on the issues and fixed it while I waited, got me to take a spin before letting me head off.

OP reads all this, decides to take action as per advice, takes bike back and gets it sorted.
    End result: Ranting has fixed the bike (in a roundabout way) :)
    Just my 0.02c

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

So if we all just rant a bit more we could heal hte world.:o:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭gibraltar

I had my bike serviced there a while back, a total joke, took a total of three visits to replace a rear derailleur.

Most shocking moment was when I complained that the derailleur was not adjusted correctly and was told that bikes are designed to have the chain come off if you peddle backwards :eek:

Advertisement