Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attempted bike theft

• 08-09-2011 2:20pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not my bike just spotted it on the way into town earlier

IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg

Note the dents in the crossbar, looks like someone tried to leaver the shackle lock with the bike frame. Might encourage people to lock their bike differently.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Quick release wheel fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I saw some young lads on Abbey Street rattling a few bikes about an hour ago. They weren't making any serious attempts at stealing any of them but they were definitely checking for potential weaknesses. I'm going to start reading the Daily mail at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Lumen wrote: »
    Quick release wheel fail.
    Quick release seatpost fail too.

I think I've seen that bike poorly locked around town before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

could it be a garda plant by any chance.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

No point in being polite about this but that bike must have a pretty thick owner. It's a very nice bike and doesn't deserve to be locked as poorly as that. It has quick release front and rear wheels as well as a quick release seat post.

The owner is lucky that the bike and its various parts are still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I wonder if it's time to start enforcing IQ tests for people about to buy bikes, given the amount of people who seem to be unable to grasp the basic concept of locking up a bike properly.

I'm starting to have very little sympathy for people who have bikes, wheels or frames knicked because they either failed to lock them up properly, or used a cable lock which a bic lighter would melt through in 10 seconds. Really defies belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Rew wrote: »
    Note the dents in the crossbar, looks like someone tried to leaver the shackle lock with the bike frame.

I just saw a locked bike with a similar dent today and I was killed wondering how it got it. Surely the lock would be stronger than the frame?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I just saw a locked bike with a similar dent today and I was killed wondering how it got it. Surely the lock would be stronger than the frame?

Depends on the lock some of them are ****e and would pop when levered like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Rew wrote: »
    Note the dents in the crossbar, looks like someone tried to leaver the shackle lock with the bike frame. .

Must have been strong lads alright, even cracked the concrete around the pole it's locked to while giving it a rattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

And that folks is why you want a lock that is just big enough and wont let someone get the leverage.
    To be fair most people dont know how to lock bikes and wouldnt know a good lock from a piece of **** lock .

My friend was recently purchasing a 1000 euro bike and i was telling him rule of thumb spend 10% of what you paid on the lock for it , lets be fair 100 would get you one of the best kryptonite u locks and a cable to loop through wheels etc. He thought i was messing with him and started looking at basic cable locks
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

And that folks is why you want a lock that is just big enough and wont let someone get the leverage.
    To be fair most people dont know how to lock bikes and wouldnt know a good lock from a piece of **** lock .

My friend was recently purchasing a 1000 euro bike and i was telling him rule of thumb spend 10% of what you paid on the lock for it , lets be fair 100 would get you one of the best kryptonite u locks and a cable to loop through wheels etc. He thought i was messing with him and started looking at basic cable locks
    :rolleyes:

Having learned the hard way (not quite on the same ratio) people now think I am mad when I tell them that I now use a 75euro lock on a 70£ bike (kryptonite fahgettaboudit on a b'twin vitamin) - its my short hop to the luas leave it at the luas stop all day bike - and its the only way to almost guarantee that I wont need to walk home on a random night!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm the same. I have a Kryptonite evo on an old banged-up looking trek. I also use a chain if I'm leaving the bike for any length of time.

Expensive lock + cheap bike = not worth it.

I'm confident that it won't ever be stolen.

Advertisement