Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you faint when reading this iconic short story "Guts"? Apparently most do.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nope. Read it on a plane and felt a bit light-headed, but that was probably the oxygen or lack thereof.

It's certainly nasty, but it almost tries to hard - indeed, isn't that the point? Chuck Palahniuk can be a great satirist, but there are times when he resorts to cheap shock tactics. At least Guts is a moderately entertaining shock.

It's definitely the best story in the otherwise dreadful Haunted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

Never fainted when reading, even Marquis de Sade ;) "The Guts" impressed me but somewhat not in this way.
    It's definitely the best story in the otherwise dreadful Haunted though.
    Well and I liked the book. Some other stories were very good, f.e. Sister Vigilante's, Tess Clark's and The Baroness'. I read it a long time ago but still remember these three quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Didnt find it in anyway "moving" or shocking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hahahahahaha! What pussies fainted? I pulled a face like. Maybe I've just been on the internet too long :( Also, first printed in Playboy? That must have ruined a few people's romantic evenings in with themselves.

But I agree, not a great story, pretty cheap shocks. Funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Perhaps while they were listening to the reading someone leaned over and whispered in their ear, "You know, this talentless fuckwit has about a dozen novels in print...people actually pay to read this trash." Hearing that probably would have caused me to faint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Kinski wrote: »
    Perhaps while they were listening to the reading someone leaned over and whispered in their ear, "You know, this talentless fuckwit has about a dozen novels in print...people actually pay to read this trash." Hearing that probably would have caused me to faint.

Ha ha. Couldn't have put it better myself. I've always been suspicious of the fainting and vomiting at Palahniuk's public readings, whether they're just bullsh*t or a case of people involved in mass hysteria, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

That wasn't very good at all and certainly didn't make me faint.

I didn't know people could faint from reading sh*t short stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Purposefully searched it out a few years ago after hearing how "sick" it was.
    Wasn't that bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Read it years ago.

There is an awful lot of fapping done just before dinnertime isnt there? Now I know why mothers always ask you to wash your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

oh now I know why people fainted.
    They're id1ots who held their breath too long

Wasn't that impressed to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Guts is the only thing I've read by Palahniuk. It was in the Guardian saturday mag a few years ago I think. I laughed a few times reading it but faint, no.

It did put me off buying any of his books though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I quite liked survivor, was decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Excitingsong

glad to join this forum and glad to meet you here buy eden gold,I look forward to getting some inspiration and getting to know all of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I quite liked survivor, was decent.

M'eh, started off pretty well, first fifty pages or so had a lot of decent bits. For example the first times he's
    on the phone encouraging people to kill themselves
    are genuinely really creepy. But again it was gimmicky, going straight for the shocking subject matter, lazy OTT attempts at satire that he didn't really (imo) carry off, plus there was the whole page numbers going backwards thing. Towards the end I was glad it was done that way because it let me know at a glance how much longer I was going to have to read it. There was maybe a short story's worth of good writing in that book.

I really haven't read much of his stuff (apart from Fight Club when I was sixteen, naturally :pac:) but everything of his I do read seems so...familiar, and not in a good way, because he always seems like he's trying to push the envelope and innovate and shock and I'm just left with the vague impression that I've read this before. Maybe this is because he's very influential, but it just makes him seem like he's constantly impersonating himself.

Advertisement