Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

spurious wrote: »
    There are people here giving all sorts of detail about their projects. People should know they are not as anonymous as they think on the internet. Just look at some of the usernames. I presume when setting up their account they didn't think they'd be using it to ask others what to do in their exams.

As I said before, the people in the SEC can read boards. Let's remember that.

Why is this being aimed at me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Why is this being aimed at me?

It's not, he's adding to your point i.e he's agreeing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Murphy92 wrote: »
    Think this'll be my last question thank god! Do you have to rename all extrudes and fillets and things like that?! If so..what kind of names do you give them? Thanks lads!

Literally call them what you did that extrude for. i.e if you extruded a straw for the aftershave bottle you would say: "Straw for aftershave bottle"

By the way has anyone received their exam no. yet? As far as I know you can't submit a project until you have your exam no. (Even says it somewhere on the brief) My guess is the deadline will be extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Lynchy747 wrote: »
    By the way has anyone received their exam no. yet? As far as I know you can't submit a project until you have your exam no. (Even says it somewhere on the brief) My guess is the deadline will be extended.

The exam numbers are out already.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    The exam numbers are out already.

Oh right haven't received mine as of yet, must be the school holding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Ask your teacher, our teacher got a letter from the dept. saying we must use our names and date of births to identify the projects as the exam numbers wont be out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Ask your teacher, our teacher got a letter from the dept. saying we must use our names and date of births to identify the projects as the exam numbers wont be out in time.

We got our exam numbers Friday, and put them onto our projects today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Yep. This is what our teacher is telling us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

GarIT wrote: »
    We got our exam numbers Friday, and put them onto our projects today

We were told they wont be in in time. Need to look into this tomorrow :confused:
    I was hoping to print tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ar81093

Anyone have advice? Stuck on output 7:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

our school hasn't gotten our exam numbers yet either. I've been out of school for two days now doing my project at home, as are about 7 or 8 other lads in my class, then coming in after school and working till 10. t'is hard work :P should be finished tomorow (tuesday) though.
    Do ye think there's alot of marks going for renaming the solidworks features? (extrudes, lofts etc) because i have about 25 parts in total with about 15 features in each. I dont think i have time for that. I need to focus on getting the concept development & design (output 7) finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 liverpoolskid

I need help! Is there anyone out there who could send me a link to a project that got a B1 upwards and has a simple enough layout etc! I am finding this years project very hard and anytime I log into solidworks on the school there are things wrong so I have to start again! I only have output 4 completely finished and up to a good standard and I am sh1tting it that I wont get everything finished in time. Has anyone got any ideas as to what I can do to pretty much start now and finish in 2 days? Is it possible to do??? :eek:

I need help! Is there anyone out there who could send me a link to a project that got a B1 upwards and has a simple enough layout etc! I am finding this years project very hard and anytime I log into solidworks on the school there are things wrong so I have to start again! I only have output 4 completely finished and up to a good standard and I am sh1tting it that I wont get everything finished in time. Has anyone got any ideas as to what I can do to pretty much start now and finish in 2 days? Is it possible to do??? :eek:
    Go back a few pages in this thread, theirs a project from last year

Go back a few pages in this thread, theirs a project from last year

Sound, any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ar81093

our school hasn't gotten our exam numbers yet either. I've been out of school for two days now doing my project at home, as are about 7 or 8 other lads in my class, then coming in after school and working till 10. t'is hard work :P should be finished tomorow (tuesday) though.
    Do ye think there's alot of marks going for renaming the solidworks features? (extrudes, lofts etc) because i have about 25 parts in total with about 15 features in each. I dont think i have time for that. I need to focus on getting the concept development & design (output 7) finished.

Im not doing it, hope it's not that many marks!!

Our school was told to make sure to put names on all the extrudes and everything on solidworks because it could bring ya down a grade or 2 if ya dont.

Our school was told to make sure to put names on all the extrudes and everything on solidworks because it could bring ya down a grade or 2 if ya dont.

SH#t :eek:, I wont have time to do that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Only saw this thread now and I must say theres some horror stories of people scrambling to get it done now in time. Honestly, best of luck completing it and Id say it'll all be grand in the end. With our class, we've spent literally every bit of class time since the project was handed out doing it aswell as the odd hour after school once a week and at this stage we're all done with some of us done before XMas like. Quick one though, I never renamed all the extrude features and stuff so do ye reckon i'll lose many marks?? Its the one thing now thats worrying me but its a bit late now as ive it all on CD already like

SH#t :eek:, I wont have time to do that :(

Don't worry no marks are deducted for not renaming the solidworks pieces, look at the brief, no where does it state that solidworks pieces must be named. I'm sure the examiners would prefer them to be named, but they can't deduct marks for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DCG1

Sorry but that is simply bullshlt... the Solidworks is worth 37 marks out of 400 for Leaving Cert DCG. That's 9 percent! Now let's just look at the stats, even if you completely forgot to do the Solidworks, even then, you may not drop one grade never mind the 2 grades your teacher was suggesting. Come on people, is an examiner really going to give you a 0 on your Solidworks for not renaming all your features. I've read the Brief in full 10 times over and not once did I see anything that would suggest that marks are lost for not renaming files, faic!

Do yourselves a favour and stop skipping school and neglecting other subjects to spend all day doing counter-productive shlt on the computer, at the off chance that your examiner is an idiot and decides to dock you 11% in the department of Solidworks, even then you would only lose 1% total and that's being the harshest I could possibly imagine. Cop on!

PS: When I say "Solidworks" I do not mean the "Project", I am aware that the project is worth 40%, but remember the Solidworks is just a portion of that figure.

DCG1 wrote: »
    Sorry but that is simply bullshlt... the Solidworks is worth 37 marks out of 400 for Leaving Cert DCG. That's 9 percent! Now let's just look at the stats, even if you completely forgot to do the Solidworks, even then, you may not drop one grade never mind the 2 grades your teacher was suggesting. Come on people, is an examiner really going to give you a 0 on your Solidworks for not renaming all your features. I've read the Brief in full 10 times over and not once did I see anything that would suggest that marks are lost for not renaming files, faic!

Do yourselves a favour and stop skipping school and neglecting other subjects to spend all day doing counter-productive shlt on the computer, at the off chance that your examiner is an idiot and decides to dock you 11% in the department of Solidworks, even then you would only lose 1% total and that's being the harshest I could possibly imagine. Cop on!

You do realise the DCG project is worth 140 out of 400 points. That's 40%, not 9%. Just thought I'd let you know :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DCG1

You do realise the DCG project is worth 140 out of 400 points. That's 40%, not 9%. Just thought I'd let you know :pac:

I do realise that: as I said before the Solidworks is only worth 37 marks out of those 140 marks. I'm talking about the Solidworks here, the Solidworks is worth 9%. See how I used the word Solidworks in my response instead of project. Sorry if my tone is somewhat over the top but I just can't get over some of the ridiculous suggestions on this thread :pac:

Its not half as bad as i thought it would be...started my project from scratch at the start of this week and already half way through, just need to print out the drawings on computer and make my own concept design(its not too bad, have all measurements done and all set to make)! I got a project from last year off this and it has helped so much, dunno who posted it up but thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 carina 2

made an error on my bottle its finished now but only realised that i spelt the logo on it wrong today. would that cost me many marks if its noticed.

anyone ??? please

carina 2 wrote: »
    anyone ??? please

Im not to sure but i doubt you'd loose much, if any

Im not to sure but i doubt you'd loose much, if any

thanks lad. anyone else know anything about this ??

anyone ??? please

I doubt you would it's not a major thing, wouldnt cost ya at al I'd say..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

made an error on my bottle its finished now but only realised that i spelt the logo on it wrong today. would that cost me many marks if its noticed.

It is a test of your drawing ability, not your English.
    I know in other subjects where there is a practical element you would not be docked marks. Don't worry about it.

Advertisement