Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 fatal1ty

darren95 wrote: »
    I was wondering how your going to get the dimensions of the bottles?

You gotta find them yourself, by measuring the bottle. Or if you're working with internet pictures, try find many angles of the one bottle, and make an educated guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Quite a few people in my class are finding this quite difficult already. Being an all guys school, it's not exactly what we usually read up about or understand.
    Although it's difficult, I like it from a design point of view, there's so many different designs out there you can't go wrong with making new concept or re-designing a current bottle. The same with comparing two different bottles.

For measuring I used a Vernier calipers/height gauge, works wonders for accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 orla52

any ideas for output 1 and 2??? was thinking off drawing a perfect bottle spraying out and in d spray there are other perfumes ???

orla52 wrote: »
    was thinking off drawing a perfect bottle spraying out and in d spray there are other perfumes ???

Like, there will be more than one fragrance in the bottle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 orla52

fatal1ty wrote: »
    Like, there will be more than one fragrance in the bottle?
    well i was thinkin of 1 fragrance spray and while d spray comes out so does other perfume bottles and then brief history etc on them

• Advertisement

orla52 wrote: »
    well i was thinkin of 1 fragrance spray and while d spray comes out so does other perfume bottles and then brief history etc on them

I reckon that would make a very good concept. All I can say, is pictures, pictures, pictures. it's REALLY important to pack your project with a lot of pictures and sketches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Think I'm going to do the DCG project myself this year for sh!ts and giggles on top of a fairly hefty work load I already have at college. Yes, I'm an ape like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Aibrean

hi there,
    this year i have the DCG project to do! i was wondering for any of ye that have already done the project are u allowed put pictures from the internet in the booklet or is just free-hand sketches?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Aibrean wrote: »
    hi there,
    this year i have the DCG project to do! i was wondering for any of ye that have already done the project are u allowed put pictures from the internet in the booklet or is just free-hand sketches?!?!
    Merged your post here, where you might get more response. :)

Aibrean wrote: »
    hi there,

Both! But you have to reference where you got your pictures from if you have taken them from the net. This can be done in the bibliography at the end of the project and doesn't count as one of your sheets or outputs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

RHunce wrote: »
    Both! But you have to reference where you got your pictures from if you have taken them from the net. This can be done in the bibliography at the end of the project and doesn't count as one of your sheets or outputs.

However you get more marks for photos you take yourself or sketches of the bottles as both of these are primary research. Photos from the internet are secondary research.

Qwerty? wrote: »
    However you get more marks for photos you take yourself or sketches of the bottles as both of these are primary research. Photos from the internet are secondary research.

Regardless, every photo/image/sketch should be referenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dnbutler

hi there! i noticed that in the brief for the perfume bottle one, there is alot of emphasis on appearance, "shape,form,features,themes,target market,presentation" so i don't think you'd have to try and edit the functional properties of the bottle, but more the appearance to aim it a specific aged group in the market, which is alot more, broad i guess :eek: what i cant figure out is for the design features, im not sure when to start cause the Egyptians used some form of bottle for their perfume.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭beargrylls93

RHunce wrote: »
    Regardless, every photo/image/sketch should be referenced.

well , i did it last year and my mod was on the basis of a perfume bottle ...... if anyone wants an idea of an outlay of it ill send them my project ...... btw i got an a1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Huho

Anyone have any ideas for the first 2 outputs? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

I did this project last year if anyone wants a copy of it pm me your email please.. i got an a1 in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

dnbutler wrote: »
    hi there! i noticed that in the brief for the perfume bottle one, there is alot of emphasis on appearance, "shape,form,features,themes,target market,presentation" so i don't think you'd have to try and edit the functional properties of the bottle, but more the appearance to aim it a specific aged group in the market, which is alot more, broad i guess :eek: what i cant figure out is for the design features, im not sure when to start cause the Egyptians used some form of bottle for their perfume.

A mind map/ spider graph looking at the areas mentioned in the brief would be a great idea in output1
    Take pictures of two contrasting Perfume bottles (side by side) for output2 and discuss them would lead you to cover alot of bases, dont forget to look at the the areas mentioned in the brief here

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Whats meant to be on the "investigation" page of output 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

Where is everybody getting the history of perfumes for the timelines? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shlong

I regret saying i didnt have enough parts.. It was like karma biting me in the arse. Thought i was done my solidworks... five parts sortedd. Teacher got at my atomiser today with a pliers and bam.... i count 10 pieces left to do! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

^^ My class arent even near the solid works part yet :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Huho

Lads yer flyin ahead!

Started the solid works part, haven't done much on the outputs :o

shlong wrote: »
    I regret saying i didnt have enough parts.. It was like karma biting me in the arse. Thought i was done my solidworks... five parts sortedd. Teacher got at my atomiser today with a pliers and bam.... i count 10 pieces left to do! :(

no offence like but if you sir have finished your solidworks at this stage ......... then you sir, have one **** project on your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Caseybah

Lads i haven't even done one page yet of anything! have ye all finished yere courses?

Irish94 wrote: »
    Where is everybody getting the history of perfumes for the timelines? :D
    your not meant to do a timeline, it says "contemporary" which means they have to be moderns, no timeline in this one

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

Caseybah wrote: »
    your not meant to do a timeline, it says "contemporary" which means they have to be moderns, no timeline in this one

So do they want a timeline at all?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

no offence like but if you sir have finished your solidworks at this stage ......... then you sir, have one **** project on your hands
    Oh yeah, How could that cause offence? :rolleyes:..What a stupid comment!
    You don't know what his/her situation is, whether their teacher is staying back after school with them or how many free classes they have or whatever!!

Well thats what are teacher said and i dont think so! Im not saying to definitely not do it but because they said contemporary and said nothin about a timeline I reckon they only want modren designs

pajero12 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, How could that cause offence? :rolleyes:..What a stupid comment!
    You don't know what his/her situation is, whether their teacher is staying back after school with them or how many free classes they have or whatever!!

they could have four solid weeks of free classes and they might get a good project done if they have 5 or 6 people in the class , you wait and see :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 shlong

Whats the biggie about nearly being done.... :confused: We were given the student design kits for home last year and so we all know how to work solidworks?? We've done all the tutorials last year as well as all the ones on the solidworks website.... Alsooooo.... we've been spending two hours after school most days at the computers....So go suck it doubters! A1 here we come........:D

Advertisement