Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Irish94 wrote: »
    Where is everybody getting the history of perfumes for the timelines? :D
    Irish94 wrote: »
    So do they want a timeline at all?

No, they dont want a timeline, Output one is a graphical representation of your investigation into the shape and form, target market, features, themes and presentation of aftershave/perfume bottles. You have to show you understand what all those headings are. If your lucky and they decide they wont give 0 marks for a timeline you would be looking at a very low number of marks because your not following the breif at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

shlong wrote: »
    Whats the biggie about nearly being done.... :confused: We were given the student design kits for home last year and so we all know how to work solidworks?? We've done all the tutorials last year as well as all the ones on the solidworks website.... Alsooooo.... we've been spending two hours after school most days at the computers....So go suck it doubters! A1 here we come........:D

Its all fun and games until the examiners can track what time ect. the solidworks was done. Has to be all done in school during school hours. I know a few people who got caught out with this before!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shlong

Eh i have done it all on the computers in school?? Just figured out how to work it out at home.... All features down to a tee like?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Its all fun and games until the examiners can track what time ect. the solidworks was done. Has to be all done in school during school hours. I know a few people who got caught out with this before!

Are you saying that work done on school computers outside school hours is against the guidelines of the project?

SEC Assignment Brief:
    wrote:
    The coursework submitted for assessment must be your own individual work and must be completed in school under the supervision of the class teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

AD61 wrote: »
    Are you saying that work done on school computers outside school hours is against the guidelines of the project?

SEC Assignment Brief:

No, this is fine. The work has to be done on the school computers so that your teacher can sign off and say that all the work was done in school under his/her supervision. It does not matter what time the work was done.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

they could have four solid weeks of free classes and they might get a good project done if they have 5 or 6 people in the class , you wait and see :D
    How do you know? We had repeats last year who used all their study classes to get the project out of the way, Were finished by november and got 152-158 in the project!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Caseybah

What type of materials have ye found?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Andrewmiester

Has anyone a good concept idea? :):o

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wehwehweh

I'm in the middle of doing my project!
    I've done output one, including a timeline- type page showing how modern perfume bottles were developed. I've skipped outputs two and three as i plan to do them over the midterm so I'm in the middle of my CAD. And i just seem to be encountering problem after problem. I have an idea for my concept idea and i think its pretty good, but I don't even know if its possible to make it on CAD!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Important question..

My teacher says scanning in sketches is fine, as long as I include the sketches at the end. My brother says not to do this.

How exactly should I deal with sketches without losing marks?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Whats ur concept idea if u dont mind me asking ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Whats ur concept idea if u dont mind me asking ? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08

haha expected that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

The examiner does not give a toss whether it was done at home or in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

My teacher says scanning in sketches is fine, as long as I include the sketches at the end. My brother says not to do this.

For a sketch it has to be an original sketch, it can be sketched directly onto the page or cut out or stuck on. A scan of a skecth will be marked just like a picture taken from the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Medici 12

Caseybah wrote: »
    What type of materials have ye found?

I'd say you would use glass and plastic, maybe metal. What about the rest of ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭beargrylls93

Important question..

Thanks

sec says all sketches must be original... have a look at it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭beargrylls93

pajero12 wrote: »
    How do you know? We had repeats last year who used all their study classes to get the project out of the way, Were finished by november and got 152-158 in the project!
    i think i remember yu from this page last year.... and if thats the case you know full well repeats have a huge advantage :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gunner123

Sarah? wrote: »
    There's a really useful guide to the project here...

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to where it says "guide to the student assignment" and you can download it for free. ;)
    Where can I get the DCG exam papers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

GarIT wrote: »
    For a sketch it has to be an original sketch, it can be sketched directly onto the page or cut out or stuck on. A scan of a skecth will be marked just like a picture taken from the internet.
    That's right, make sure to have the original sketch on the page or it won't be credited as one. I recommend you just print out the page then do the sketch on it. If you mess it up badly just print out that page again, although if you're careful you should get it first time.
    The examiner does not give a toss whether it was done at home or in school.
    If you're really sure about that, taking the risk is up to you. When we did them last year I made sure to have it done in class. However, it didn't mean I was that pressed for time. Often I'd just make the part at home, take note of how I did it, and spend 5 minutes making it in class. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Hey guys :) I have a question regarding modelling, I have all of the components make for my perfume bottle...except for the actual body of the body itself. I was wondering how I would accomplish modelling Euphoria by Calvin Klein, like here, here and here. The cap, and components were easy, but the curve in the bottle and its irregular shape is...difficult...to say the least. How can I make the curve? It curves and even has 2 indentations on each side! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Kieran Lad

This is going to be a challenge for me, thanks to a teacher with a lack of control and a class full of wasters, the teacher gets no time to go around and help the students who want to succeed in life!! Its also combined with the woodwork room, so timber is thrown etc. My only option is to do this is at home. I have a good bit of practise with solidworks so I should get through with yer help :).

Dont even mention the mechanical drawing part, drawing boards with chisel marks do not work well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Medici 12

Kieran Lad wrote: »
    This is going to be a challenge for me, thanks to a teacher with a lack of control and a class full of wasters, the teacher gets no time to go around and help the students who want to succeed in life!! Its also combined with the woodwork room, so timber is thrown etc. My only option is to do this is at home. I have a good bit of practise with solidworks so I should get through with yer help :).

Dont even mention the mechanical drawing part, drawing boards with chisel marks do not work well :(

I feel sorry for you. it could be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

Lads im feckin deadly far behind on this. i've only got the first 2 pages and my freehand done. any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

IRA 1916 wrote: »
    Lads im feckin deadly far behind on this. i've only got the first 2 pages and my freehand done. any tips?

im also way behind :(

earwax_man wrote: »
    Hey guys :) I have a question regarding modelling, I have all of the components make for my perfume bottle...except for the actual body of the body itself. I was wondering how I would accomplish modelling Euphoria by Calvin Klein, like here, here and here. The cap, and components were easy, but the curve in the bottle and its irregular shape is...difficult...to say the least. How can I make the curve? It curves and even has 2 indentations on each side! :/
    Looks like surface modelling but I guess that would be a bit advanced. Possibly have 3 planes, one with the bottom, one with the outer edge, and one with the top, and use the lofted boss/base feature to join the three planes together? Not the best way to go about it but it should look passable and be a base for tweaking it afterwards. Let me know how it works out for you (PM, I forget to check here sometimes)

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    im also way behind

IRA 1916 wrote: »

Pick a weekend where you don't have a lot of work to do and plough through the sketches and concepts. You'll get a surprising amount done if you put your mind to it. Really any classwork you have now should be focused on modelling if you haven't completed your two assemblies/eDrawings yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 antok93

does anyone have a project from last year or later to see what suppose to be on each page?

antok93 wrote: »
    does anyone have a project from last year or later to see what suppose to be on each page?
    I'll PM you mine but sketches are missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Advertisement